Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSuspension upgrades nearing completion!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspension upgrades nearing completion!
    Posted: 14-September-2006 at 13:05
Following a day with the car in the air, I have now almost finished upgrading the suspension on my E30 M3

A little while ago I had fitted Faulkner springs and AVO adjustable dampers (set fully soft for the road).
Now the car has front control arm Polybushes and rear subframe Polybushes, too...

We also fitted Goodridge braided brakelines and changed the fluid for ATE 550 racing stuff.

The only bits we didn't fit were the Polybushes for the rear trailing arms as it looked like they would have to come off and I'm unsure as to whether or not a) they will make a huge difference and b) they will need to be replaced with eccentric bushes to reduce some of the camber on the rear wheel...

Has anyone used both versions of the trailing arm bushes and can offer any advice?

The front control arm bushes have made a big difference to the feel of the turn-in and as a whole the polybushes have reduced the "crashy" nature of the ride that occurred when I put on the springs and dampers....

1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
Sponsored Links

Dannyboy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2006 at 21:00
How are you getting on with the Avo dampers as I have them on mive
with AVO springs and I find it very crashy on B roads.
1992 clio 1.8 16V Good
1998 Subaru Impreza Turbo Terzo Great
1987 M3 Diamond Black Awesome (Now awesomer with Billys & Eibach)
Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2006 at 11:27
Up till earlier this week, I would have agreed with ya....Changed the bushes and all is much better in the ride department, now!

Basically I reckon the stiffer springs/dampers were making the rubber suspension bits do all the work...leading to the crashy ride. Now the bushes are all tight and much less compliant, the suspension is doing the work and that makes it much smoother....
1987 E30 M3
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2006 at 13:13
Now that you have lowered and stiffened the suspension,what are you going to do about the increased toe in on the rear?You mention offset trailing arm bushes for altering the camber,but the toe is more important,as it is this that wrecks your tyres.

Jon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2006 at 15:03
Dunno, Jon...what do you suggest?

It's only lowered by about 30mm over stock and the toe on the rear I haven't measured (yet) cos I want to let all the components bed in for a few miles/weeks first.

Hasn't visibly or noticeably increased (or decreased) the toe, but it has visibly increased the camber....

Gotta say that after the few miles I've done so far, it feels very stable and controllable....Would decreasing the toe on the rear not increase the oversteer, too?
1987 E30 M3
ian M635UK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2006 at 18:24

Forget the bushes.  Fit Ireland engineering adjustable camber and toe kit.  About 110 quid to but but you have to remove the axle carrier to get them welded in.  Then you will have individual adjustment for camber and toe.  Going for eccentic bushes even rotating ones from say K-mac will not provide accurate adjustment as you adjust for camber and the toe changes slightly.

Fitted the Ireland enginering kit to my M635csi and never looked back.  Well never looked backwards.

I had toe out at the rear before which was a nightmare.  Now toe in with correct camber with the dinan stage 3 kit I have.

A great upgrade.

Ian

ian M635UK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2006 at 18:27
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2006 at 08:58

I fitted these a while back when the diff was out being uprated.I didn`t think there would be enough adjustment in the offset bushes.
Kit was available from Bexley Motors from stock.

Jon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2006 at 08:48
Thanks for that Ian....I'll bear it in mind, but I'm trying to keep the thing as standard as possible whilst upgrading the performance of the suspension...

Just spent a weekend driving it and it now both handles well (better than before) and feels a much smoother ride whilst still "firm" it is less jarring...

1987 E30 M3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic