Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedShell V-Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shell V-Power
    Posted: 12-September-2006 at 12:06

Has anyone else tried this yet?

I have used various fuels in my 530, everything from bog standard 95RON to Tesco 99 and TBH didn't notice much difference between any of them. Then I filled up with V-Power and was pleasantly supprised. Not only did the car fell quicker it also felt smoother. Just to confirm how much better than 95ron it is, I had to fill up with Total 95 the other day and it just feels flat now. 

Oh and I get an extra pluspoint for every litre of V-Power I buy

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2006 at 13:13

I have 52 litres of Shell V Power sloshing around the tank of my E39 at the moment.

I haven't noticed a bit of difference.  I normally fill up with Esso standard unleaded.

Recently, on a Friday night before I went away for the weekend, I filled up with 1/4 of a tank with unleaded from Asda and the cars fuel consumption seamed to be quite poor on the weekend trip.  I put this down to poor quality supermarket fuel, but I haven't noticed much improvement using the V power.

Is V power is 99 octane?

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2006 at 13:55
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Is V power is 99 octane?

Yes.

I haven't tried it on standard shell UL yet so I'm not sure of how much difference there will be between same brand different octane rating but it is certainly better than Total 95 and the tank before which was BP Super UL.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 12:42

The V Power seems to be getting more thumbs up in general compared to what super unleaded did.  Makes a noticeable difference on the motorbike though    (never noticed any difference with SuperUL on it)

I only use Shell/BP Unleaded anyway and until my MAF isn't replaced, I am not going to bother with the V Power. 

Let The Good Times Roll
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 16:08
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Is V power is 99 octane?

Not in this poxy country!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 21:37
supposed to be 99.
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 21:41
In the UK it is 99RON.
Unfortunatley in Ireland we get 95RON with extra additives or something! It is actually very difficult to get 99RON over here.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 22:11

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

In the UK it is 99RON.
Unfortunatley in Ireland we get 95RON with extra additives or something! It is actually very difficult to get 99RON over here.

Unless you go North?

Adrenaline Junk View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrenaline Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2006 at 23:01
I have to run Shell V-Power on my car, thats what it was set up on, so i can't really compare, but i know it works well in my beast! 
Adam aka Adrenaline Junkie

Proud owner of;

350bhp E30 Cosworth with M3 Running Gear.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 08:09

Well over a week later and onto my second tank full of V Power, I can honestly say I haven't noticed any improvement to the cars performance but (or has it been slightly more responsive hmmmm, nah, well it hasn't been like night and day put it that way!) but what I have noticed is the mpg is ever so slightly better but less than 1 mpg improvement so probably not worth paying the extra for.

I'm just giving my car a treat after feeding it Asda sy fuel!

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
ps003 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ps003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2006 at 17:51

I usually use standard Shell "cooking unleaded" in my 530 sport and thought the performance was fine on it, but since the petrol prices came down recently and v-power is now the same price as the unleaded was a few weeks ago I thought I'd give it a treat and put in v-power until the prices go back up... Thoughts so far is that the car does seem more responsive and definitely accelerates more rapidly than on the standard stuff.  A bonus that I really like is that on a motorway trip with the cruise on at (about) 70mph (ish) the computer is telling me I'm getting a couple of MPG more than I was getting on the standard stuff - it's now about 35MPG as opposed to 33MPG.

I think it may depend on what engine your car has as to whether it can really take advantage of v-power's extra octane, would be interesting to see if someone with an M5 notices any difference as I'd imagine that engine would be the one which would be able to really use the extra power.

Paul

Current - 2001 E39 530i Sport Auto
Previous - 1995 E34 525i SE Manual
Bill- View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 19:40

I have just completed a 1,640 mile trip To Scotland Mostly on V Power (approx 66 Gallons)

The more I use it the Better the car goes, halfway up in the dead of night I had to go for a 95 Ron fuel, yee Gads that is when you notice how flat the performance is compared to V Power..

I.m Very impressed

Although I think older cars will benifit more from the Internal clean this fuel claims to achieve. My car feels Rocket powered now

Hayabusa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic