Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBest chip for 3.0 ECU ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andygriff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best chip for 3.0 ECU ?
    Posted: 11-September-2006 at 20:45

Hi all,

What are current opinions in the UK with regards to the best DME (engine ctrl) EPROM swap for the S50B30 (3.0 Litre E36 M3) ?

I mean in terms of improving overall drivability and performance as a package, smoothing out the 2200 glitch etc. Maybe in conjunction with a de cat perhaps ?

Also, has anyone had any expierience with Vanos control unit chip swaps / re mapping ?

Cheers,

1988 E30 M3 S14B23
1995 E36 M3 S50B30 Saloon
Honda RC30
BMW Senior Technician.
Sponsored Links

stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2006 at 10:16
Andy,

your best bet is to go with a remap from a reputable tuner. This map will be specific to your car and not something generic.

I think a search will show some folk that in past have had remaps with good results.

Steve
Chipped UK LTD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chipped UK LTD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 09:38

We get proven 20hp gains from this engine whilst at the same time removing the flat spot at 2200rpm and smoothing out the one at 4000rpm.

We have over 20 mag features on the 3.0M3

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2006 at 14:13

Jayson is right, that sort of power can be had out of re-mapping and also the flat spots are eliminated too. I have done a few with the Unichip and they were all good. The best one we have done is producing over 330bhp, but that has a higher compression ratio, uprated cams and lightened flywheel too.

Jayson's chip is probably the best value for what you need in my opinion.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
andygriff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andygriff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2006 at 13:16

Unfortunalty, I am in the Channel Islands - so it's going to mean an expensive ferry trip over to the UK to get a remap done.

Where about are you in the UK Jayson ?

Are there any links on the net ref the mag features you mentioned ?

Cheers, Andy.

1988 E30 M3 S14B23
1995 E36 M3 S50B30 Saloon
Honda RC30
BMW Senior Technician.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic