Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedO2 sensor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevs635csi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: O2 sensor
    Posted: 09-September-2006 at 19:02
my car runs like a bag of sh*t when cold for the first minute or so & even when warn i get low speed jerking & popping back on the over run at lowish revs, but it  runs much better ,smoother &  quicker with the o2 sensor disconnected & i get none of the symptoms above ,obviously it needs a new one ,its a bit of a mare to get the old one out ,the ecu goes to default mode & calculates a substitute value  what are the longterm effects of running it with the sensor off ,

Edited by kevs635csi
cool as the fonz!!
Sponsored Links

stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 07:52
Kev, When the engine is cold it does not use the O2 sensor. The 02 sensor only comes in to effect when warm, over say 70deg and therefor should not effect your cold start.

I'd have a look at your coolant sensor first. I had a problem simipar and it turned out to be a damp connection to the coolant sensor.

Steve

kevs635csi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevs635csi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 13:56
i changed that sensor not long ago
cool as the fonz!!
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 11:45

Kevin, I have my Oxy sensor disconnected too, so I could remap all the part throttle fueling sites without the sensor messing up what I just put in.

You have to be carefull with what you say these days on these forums, but i don't think it would cause any damage long term unless you still have the cat fitted, if so this may suffer? If not then its better than your sensor reading wrong and putting a lean mixture into your engine, or vica versa.

The ultimate fix though, as you know is to replace the sensor.

I'd advise to check the fueling on a dyno....try Westec in Newport.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
kevs635csi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevs635csi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 19:54
ok thanks for that i decatted last year so thats no problem ,i think its over fuelling to be honest as the exhaust fumes  smell rich when cold pops back on over run too with it connected & disconnected
cool as the fonz!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic