Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBroken piston ring? (longish)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken piston ring? (longish)
    Posted: 08-September-2006 at 14:43

Ok chaps.  Not wishing to sound too gloomy but I have a problem with my M635.  Just swapped out head for a fully rebuilt one.  Car runs very strong all through the rev range but has an annoying "ticking" sound.

The noise is a light metallic ticking at all engine speed (speed related).  I have carried out the following tests which I think are pointing towards a broken/cracked piston ring.

Compression test (warm engine, throttle fully open, igintion and fuel disabled, 7 cranks on engine.)

188,186,185, 185, 184, 185 - obviously very very good.  No oil consumption, no smoke out of exhaust.  So no problems with compression, maybe a leak down test would show something?  Plugs when removed are all a light brownish colour as expected. Maybe 2nd compression ring that has gone?

Ticking noise is present at idle as well but when HT lead is removed from cylinder 6, ticking noise disappears.  I assume from this that the rings /piston become unloaded and hence why the noise is not present?  Also this may point to a piston ring/exhaust manifold problem and not a head problem as the loading on the valve train would not be really affected by removing the HT lead?

Stethoscope seems to incidicate ticking from cylinder 6 as well.  I can also hear the noise with the stethoscope in the exhaust manifold on cylinders 4,5 and 6 but not on the maninold for cylinders 1,2 and 3.

All valve clearances are spot on, buckets move fine.  Head has new valve guides, 3 angle job etc.  Exhaust manifold bolts are all secure although I have not changed out the exhaust manifold gaskets yet but with the noise being so regular at most loads hot or cold I don't think it is the exhaust manifold that is at fault.

The ticking noise is annoying but not yet worrying.  Noise can be heard in the driver seat but is tending to be drowned out when listening from above engine with all those 24 hammers at work.

Does anyone have experience of what to expect from a broken piston ring in terms of noise.  Any other tests I could do to determine the problem?

Car has JE pistons and total seal rings, 2*schrick 272's and goes like stink all the way to the redline.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to get all the info down.

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links

andyclient View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 16:07

You say when the ht lead is removed from No 6 cylinder the ticking stops , there couldn't be a hairline crack in the plug lead suppressor cap that is shorting to earth could there ??( a spark shorting to earth does make a sort of ticking sound)

If the caps are the same as the ones on the S14 Two of mine were cracked one so bad it atually broke off when removing it from the plug

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
93 E36 325 TD Gone but still going
87 E30 Hartge 325 (gone but not forgotten)
ian M635UK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 16:16
Originally posted by andyclient andyclient wrote:

You say when the ht lead is removed from No 6 cylinder the ticking stops , there couldn't be a hairline crack in the plug lead suppressor cap that is shorting to earth could there ??( a spark shorting to earth does make a sort of ticking sound)

If the caps are the same as the ones on the S14 Two of mine were cracked one so bad it atually broke off when removing it from the plug

cheers

Andy

Thanks.  I'll check but the noise is definately of a metallic type but you never know

stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 20:30
How old are the shims that are fitted? It may be possible that the shims have become worn around their circumfrence and therefor connecting with the lip in the top of the bucket as the cam comes around.

Steve
Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 20:59
I would not expect to see such an even spread of compressions if one had a broken ring.. and also the sound going away when the spark is disconnected makes me think that it is valve related.. the force of the firing making it move in its seat.
bhp555 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhp555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 21:57

Hi Ian,

You say you’ve just changed the head……was the sound there before or only since you’ve changed the head?

With the compression readings you are getting you wouldn’t normally associate anything wrong with the compression rings, particulalry as the readings are so close to each other.

It does sound like tracking from a plug, but I’d guess you’d lose power under load, (may not be discernable due to the copious amounts of power available), how does it behave if damp?

Is it there at tick over – no pun intended? If it is, have you tried looking at it ticking over in the dark?

What oil are you running, is the sound more noticeable when hot? I guess it’s not petrol related ‘pinking’ or ‘tinkling’, as that should affect all cylinders.

How good is the head rebuild? Could it be one or more of the valve/bucket assemblies are out of tolerance?

Reading your mail again I’d go for the plug cap/lead. I’d start by changing the plug and cover/lead before doing anything else. Try one thing at a time. It's the easiest thing to rule out. I'd then try a different fuel and then give it an oil change before I went any further. I'd also make sure the cooling system was working efficently. 

Dave

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 22:47

Originally posted by stevesingo stevesingo wrote:

How old are the shims that are fitted? It may be possible that the shims have become worn around their circumfrence and therefor connecting with the lip in the top of the bucket as the cam comes around.

Steve

All shims are new.  I lost about 0.2mm from the vale/seat cut plus the schricks base circle is very slightly larger than the standard cam so I had to replace all shims.

Ian 

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 22:49

Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

I would not expect to see such an even spread of compressions if one had a broken ring.. and also the sound going away when the spark is disconnected makes me think that it is valve related.. the force of the firing making it move in its seat.

Hmmm.  Hadn't thought of that.  Guides are new and seats/vales were recut after guides were fitted and hence centralised in the seat.  Or so I was told. 

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 23:08
Originally posted by bhp555 bhp555 wrote:

Hi Ian,

You say you’ve just changed the head……was the sound there before or only since you’ve changed the head?

Only since changing head.  But I did take the opportunity to remove the carbon build up on the piston tops.  Cleaned everything off of course but some residual carbon deposits may have been present. 

With the compression readings you are getting you wouldn’t normally associate anything wrong with the compression rings, particulalry as the readings are so close to each other.

I would agree.  I rebuilt the engine 8k miles ago, rebore new pistons rings so I am glad that the compression test gave good results.  I do have total seal rings though which should give a perfect seal for the first compression ring (actually two rings in one slot 180 deg apposed).  Second compression ring is of standard design which may have broken giving the noise.

It does sound like tracking from a plug, but I’d guess you’d lose power under load, (may not be discernable due to the copious amounts of power available), how does it behave if damp?

Don't know how it performs if damp but I do intent to test in the dark to see if there is any tracking.   I also share your view on loss of power.  The engine has big power.  305bhp rolling roaded and that was with only 1 schrick cam.  Power has for sure increased with the rebuilt head and a second schrick cam (but dyno).  It absolutely flies when you hit 4400 and does not let up until you hit the limiter.

Is it there at tick over – no pun intended? If it is, have you tried looking at it ticking over in the dark?

It is there at tick over.

I have carried out some further tests though.  On a steep long hill  I let the car coast at about 3k rpm.  Fuel and ignition is cut off on the overrun but the ticking was still there!! - why do I loose the noise at tickover with no 6 HT lead removed but not on overrun!!   Ticking is also LOUDER when starting from cold for about 2-3mins and then reduces slightly when warmed up (hence why I am thinking of rings as they expand).

What oil are you running, is the sound more noticeable when hot? I guess it’s not petrol related ‘pinking’ or ‘tinkling’, as that should affect all cylinders.

Oil is castrol GTX magnatec but I may switch to 15w 50 modil 1 and see if there is any change.

How good is the head rebuild? Could it be one or more of the valve/bucket assemblies are out of tolerance?

Could be.  Head has new guides and was rebuilt by a reputable shop that has given me excellent service in the past.  I have actually swapped the cam tray for a sapre I have but this made no difference whatsoever.  I didn't swap the buckets though.  Maybe I should replace the 4 buckets on no 6 and see if this make any difference.  I also checked the valve movement (side to side) with the springs fitted prior to fitting the new head and all seemed fine. 

Reading your mail again I’d go for the plug cap/lead. I’d start by changing the plug and cover/lead before doing anything else. Try one thing at a time. It's the easiest thing to rule out. I'd then try a different fuel and then give it an oil change before I went any further. I'd also make sure the cooling system was working efficently. 

I'll try the more simpler things, leads, fuel cam buckets etc first.  Last resort is to whip the head off again, sump off pistons out and check rings, pins etc.  No big deal.  Just time, patience and about 200 quid for gaskets and bolts!

Thanks for the input

Ian

Dave

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2006 at 11:22
heres a little tip worth trying:

Diagnose Noises with a timing light

Valve train noises occur at half of crankshaft speed
so even if your ear can't tell whether the noise is
happening at 700 rpm (raps per minute) or only 350
rpm, your eyes can. Hook the timing light to any one
cylinder and watch the flash illuminate the timing
mark. Stare at it for a while and see if the flash
matches with the noise (i.e 1 flash for 1 tick). If it
does, then it is more likely to be , lifters, camshaft,
cam bearings, timing chain and gears.
If the noise seems twice as fast (i.e 1 flash for 2
ticks )it is more likely to be the crank, mains, rods,
rod bearings, wristpins and pistons/ rings.

Thinking about it, you already know it stop when you
pull the lead. You said you used 'Total Seal' rings,
did you use the correct honing pattern? it is possible
a ring hasn't seated properly. I've heard countless
stories of people who have had nothing but trouble
with TotalSeal rings.

Edited by 215DMX
rr_ww View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rr_ww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2006 at 13:18
Originally posted by ian M635UK ian M635UK wrote:

Compression test (warm engine, throttle fully open, igintion and fuel disabled, 7 cranks on engine.)

188,186,185, 185, 184, 185 - obviously very very good. 

Just a suggestion in case you arent aware. Do a "Wet" Compression check. By which I mean put 2 or 3 drops of oil into the piston. And repeat the test. If the compression increases theres a problem with the rings. Thats because the oil, temporarily seals the pistons to the bore.

If the numbers are the same then the problem is with the head.

HTH
Rich.
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2006 at 13:45

Originally posted by 215DMX 215DMX wrote:

heres a little tip worth trying:

Diagnose Noises with a timing light

Good idea.  That should pinpoint the area to conentrate on.  Just need to find a local motor factors that actual stock timing lights!!!

Thanks

Ian

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2006 at 15:20
Is the same noise eveident when the revs are comming back down?
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2006 at 18:07

Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

Yes

Andy S View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2006 at 19:32

When you put the head on what were the bores like? i had a ticking noise with an HSR Chevette years ago The block was rebored but number 4 bore was not bored enough and got too hot and caused the small end bearing to seize and this was the noise. I still have the piston with a big score mark down one side of it. The bore on number 4 was scored as well.  Not what you want to hear but just another suggestion.

E30 M3's never die
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 09:23
Originally posted by Andy S Andy S wrote:

When you put the head on what were the bores like? i had a ticking noise with an HSR Chevette years ago The block was rebored but number 4 bore was not bored enough and got too hot and caused the small end bearing to seize and this was the noise. I still have the piston with a big score mark down one side of it. The bore on number 4 was scored as well.  Not what you want to hear but just another suggestion.

Bores were fine.  Engine was previously rebored 8k miles ago and when I swapped the head the bores showed no signs of wear.  Thats not to say that something hasn't happened after fitting the new head but with the compression readings as they are I would see bore wear.

Incidentally I have carried out a cold compression test and get the following results

I did a repeat test as well to ensure repeatability of results.

No 6 cylinder on a hot test showed 188.  Why would no6 be the highest on the cold test (by a good margin) but only increase by 3 psi on the hot test whereas the others increase by around 6-8 psi on the hot test.  Can't make sense of it yet.  To test with the timing light as well so I can determine if it's top or bottom end.  Looks like I will run with it for now as the car will come off the road in winter for 6 months which will give me time to whip the head off again.

Thanks

Ian

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 13:09

Yes

Well, that blows what I thought it may be out the window!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 16:55

Yes

injectors? - noisy but not the problem

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 16:59

Yes

injectors? - noisy but not the problem

That was one thing I was thinking, but that was before you said it goes when you pull off the spark plug lead. That wouldn't affect the injectors. I was thinking more like small end??

SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 20:57

Ian,

When you fitted the pistons, did they have circlips to retain the gudgeon pins?  I rebuilt my M30 2800cs engine years ago with a set of Hepolite pistons (I was only 16!) and all ran well for a while. I ran the engine in well, but was having a high speed blast, cruising between 110 and flat out for about half an hour with an XR4i (in period) and had a minor disaster.  Light thrashing noise from the engine, which made me back off and stop as soon as I could.  From then on the engine had the same ticking of which you speak.  Most noticeablein the 1500 - 3000 rev range.  I can't speak for higher speeds, as I stayed slow till I took the head off.

My car looked OK on a dry test, but show problems (also pot 6) on a wet test.  Turned out one of the circlips had broken, and the head with the eyelet had found its way down the bore, past the rings.  Rings were not actually broken, but had a nick out of them, and the bore was scored.

I think for peace of mind you are best pulling the head again. 

Do you notice appreciable blow back when you take the oil filler cap off with the motor ticking over?  Mine was quite bad, and the tickover was a bit lumpy.

Hopefully yours isn't such a big deal, but on such a nicely done motor, I'd park it up and not drive till sorted. 

On the plug tracking - wait till evening, when the light is fading.  Pull the bonnet and spay the head gently witha little hand sprayer (like a windolene bottle).  It's just enough moisture to show anything wong really well.  Start her up, and if there is a tracking problem, you'll see a lightning storm till the heat clears it. 

Good luck......

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic