Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedM3 (E30) Air Con pipe problem. (now fixed)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Mostly Harmless

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slarty Bartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M3 (E30) Air Con pipe problem. (now fixed)
    Posted: 03-September-2006 at 21:55
Hi All

In the process of having the Air Con recharged on the M3 and discovered a leaky pipe. Sad

The system has been upgraded to R134 and some stage and to make one of the pipes fit it has been slightly bent, but this has now caused it to leak.

Received the new pipe from BMW, but it needs to have this slight bend to make it fit.

I have tried, and failed, to find somebody who can bend the pipe properly for me or to find another fitting for the pump.

Has anybody come across this and have a way to fix it or have any other ideas??

Cheers

Slarty Very Happy

Old:

New

Pump

Edited by Slarty Bartfast
Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2006 at 13:25
I doubt that you will be able to bend the pipe without damage.
You need some sort of mandrel to fit inside while bending. Maybe one of the hydraulic hose supplier can help you. Try PIRTEK. They might even be able to make a hose suitable.
What diameter is the hose inside? I have use a flexible spring type thingie from Wickes to bend my heating pipes (home) which is 15mm.

(...shouldn't really help you because you want to get rid of the E30 but I am sure you will get what you deserve once you start missing it )

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
ian332isport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian332isport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2006 at 18:37

Why does it need to be bent ? What's in the way ?

Very few hydraulic hose suppliers stock A/C fittings (including Pirtek). For some reason it's not something they keep, or can even get hold of. One other thing to be wary of, is that BMW decided it would be fun to us non standard sized rubber hoses (certainly on new hoses), so off the shelf fittings don't fit - been there, done that .

Ian.

If it ain't broke, Modify it!!
neo1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2006 at 19:13

I had a very similar problem, but when i sat back and thought about my problem, it was clear what i had to do. i fitted a new A/C belt which brought the union away from the inner wing where it was catching, could you may be do the same, longer or shorter belt may be, even if its a non standard lenth

Slarty Bartfast View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Mostly Harmless

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slarty Bartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by neo1 neo1 wrote:

I had a very similar problem, but when i sat back and thought about my problem, it was clear what i had to do. i fitted a new A/C belt which brought the union away from the inner wing where it was catching, could you may be do the same, longer or shorter belt may be, even if its a non standard lenth

Good idea!! I will look in to that.

Without the bend it just will not fit as you say the inner wing gets in the way.

I have tried a local hydraulics firm with no luck, as Ian said they don’t stock AC stuff..

Cheers for the reply’s.

Slarty

Groupie
Groupie
Mostly Harmless

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slarty Bartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2006 at 18:45

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

(...shouldn't really help you because you want to get rid of the E30 but I am sure you will get what you deserve once you start missing it )

LOL

The car has been down a friend’s garage for a couple of weeks, while he has tried to source something as well, drove her home last night as she was getting in his way.

Still feels so nimble compared to the E46, don’t get me wrong the 46 is a lot faster and fun to drive, but I do love the feel of an E30..

Looks good as well makes my new one look so normal, will take some pics at the weekend if the weather is nice..

Slarty

Groupie
Groupie
Mostly Harmless

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slarty Bartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 10:53

I now have air conditioning on the E30, yay!!! Pity the summers nearly over…

Big thanks to Delmotcrew on the E30zone, he found me the part number for another fitting for the compressor with a slightly different angle.

Job done, marvellous.

Slarty
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic