Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE34 wins coveted award!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2006 at 23:38

I Have a touring because I got one of these....

Two kids and a wife + everything to keep them all going! (push chair, bag with kids stuff, drinks, nappies etc, wifes handbag etc.....)        A combined weight of approx 250 kilos

Now you know why as well as a touring, I also need a V8! Nothing else will pull as well and carry so much with so little effort and so much fun. YES DEREK, APART FROM AN M5! !! LOL  (but rare as a RHD tourer)  And the self levelling, M-tec suspension pays dividends.

With all this in mind, I still comfortably, with all in tow, beat any boy racer who fancies his luck.  (Imagine the look on his face as he thinks "HOW???" and tries to cover his embaressment!)

Forget the traditional Sports Utility Vehicle, mine should have that title, it lives up to the name very well. Most SUV's are pumped up estate cars with little power, large fuel consumption, no fun and ugly as sin!

I can picture it now, headline : "540 Touring re-writes motoring history and wins SUV of the decade"

LOL

How much fun can you have ay?

Mike

Edited by 540 V8

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

BULLDOG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BULLDOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 07:38

Mike

They say that people have dogs that resemble them!

you're not chewbacca by any chance?

If so can I have an autograph.

Paul

Paul Drummond
BMW 316 e30 Touring (M) Reg
BMW 525 e34 Touring 1994
Triumph Spitfire 1972
Happiness is an e30 tourer and a Black Labrador
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 15:56
Nah, my one looks more like Chebacca than Mikes
And With all this talk of 525 vs 540.... what about my humble 520i?

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 20:04
520i 
Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 20:06

You can't tell much that Dereks superimposed the 520i badge onto his M5!

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 20:11
Believe it or not..... I had the M5 badge removed and the 520i one put on before I collected the car.... Didn't want to lose another one. Our much loved webmaster KB can attest that it wore 520i badges while it was in Dublin!!!
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 20:22

Thats fair enough Derek! I've seen one or two debadged M5s but I'd rather it left on, even if the risk of having it stolen is greater. If I were lucky enough to own one then I'd want it to be badged

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 20:33
I'd rather have a 540

Sorry - let's end this one
Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 20:36

Nah it's Fun!!

They came into the house armed to get the keys of the first one so I didn't want it to happen again and figured they'd believe it was a 520 with M5 vwheels

RedOctober View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 21:31

You lot can fight it out amongst yourselves now-I've said my piece, and many pieces, on this topic

You still can't beat the all round ability of the 540i though-oops, time for a sharp exit...

"I was just clearing out the cylinders, Officer"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 21:48
Originally posted by RedOctober RedOctober wrote:

You lot can fight it out amongst yourselves now-I've said my piece, and many pieces, on this topic

You still can't beat the all round ability of the 540i though-oops, time for a sharp exit...

Bet I could beat it all around the track.....M5flag

I'll get me coat

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 22:19

Remember the lesson of the hare and the tortoise

Who sang the song to 'Never Ending Story' ?

It'd be a great tune for this topic

stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 22:23

Who sang the song to 'Never Ending Story' ?

Limahl

and i've just clicked the link to unsubscribe from this topic

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2006 at 23:26

I won't justify that with a response.

bugger, just did.....

Edited by Derek M5
BULLDOG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BULLDOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2006 at 00:13

Come October/ November were travelling all over Ireland in our 525 e34 touring, well anyway these bits of Ireland !Meath, Donegal & Mayo, might try Roscommon roads cos we're daring. So if anybody from our Irish contingent spots a Black e34 sporting r32's meandering around it's us! and we're probably lost!. Should we survive this adventure through these counties at this time of year then practical mechanics has got the e34 spot on. Donegal is such a perfect place for driving an e34 on the edge( not that I would recommend it if you don't know the terrain) and the road from Letterkenny to Dungloe is brilliant providing you do everything carefully. I mean really carefully!!!!!

I've just been reminded that the back seat passenger is our Black Lab so there goes the driving on the edge bit!

Oh Hum

Edited by BULLDOG
Paul Drummond
BMW 316 e30 Touring (M) Reg
BMW 525 e34 Touring 1994
Triumph Spitfire 1972
Happiness is an e30 tourer and a Black Labrador
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2006 at 23:16

Firstly, no I do not look like chewbacca! I'm as bald as a coot. My dog has more hair on one ear than my entire head lol.

Secondly, I'd rather have a 540, just so I can argue with Derek   and keep this topic going, oh and the fact is much cheaper on the insurance, it's a touring, it hasn't got an M5 badge which makes it not so prone to being nicked................blah....blah.........etc......

Thirdly, I'd like to add a point to Redoctobers point about the all round ability of the 540, I'd like to add, the all round ability of the 540 touring coupled with the six speed gearbox! *clears throat*

Anyone seen my coat? lol

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 13:16
Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

Anyone seen my coat?

Left it at the train station with your trainspotting book & thermos perchance?

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 18:53

Meeooooowwwww-steady on chaps, you'll have each other's eyes out at this rate

'Best all rounder' means you have to excel in a number of disciplines, and not be found wanting in any.

Sadly, and it does cause me real pain to have to say this, overall total vehicle running costs also have to come into the equation, which will make the M5 choice hard for many.

As a 'dream' car the M5 wins, but real-life throws up the odd problem. The exclusivity of the 'M' badge will make them more attractive to thieves, and more expensive to insure, with possible conditions applied-car must be garaged etc.

I had this problem when looking round for quotes for my cars, which reside in central Merseyside (ay mate-nice car, it'll be gone by tonight). Several companies were happy to insure a 540i parked on an open driveway, but would not touch an M5 unless garaged, and I don't have a garage!

Even my humble 525i estate cause some insurers to baulk when I said it would be parked on the open road, and not in a driveway, and wouldn't even quote for Fire & Theft cover only-and I have never made an insurance claim.

So, no matter how much I wanted an M5, I just couldn't make the plan work, whereas the 540i was just about feasible.

Also, the Touring bodyshell is hugely useful for our big, useless 'I love all people including car thieves' Alsation (sorry Ben!!!) dog, and for nipping down to the DIY store and lugging large, heavy flat packs back home and piling in mountains of shopping etc.

These jobs do, however, throw up the one defect in my 525i Touring's armour-when it's heavily loaded, full fuel tank, passengers, heavy luggage etc, the small engine struggles to shift all the weight and is no more economical than my 540i under those circumstances.

That's where the 540i Touring scores big points, and I'm going to have to 'side' with 'trainspotter' Mike here

The 540i Touring does all the boring practical jobs you could ask of it, and is also delivers a huge amount of fun when you're conducting a solo orchestra of the big V8

So before a torrent of howls of derision from M5 owners is hurled my way, I'll re-iterate my earlier comments that the M5 is a superb car, and an aspiration for many E34 owners, myself included

At the end of the day though, it's an unrealisible dream for many, and so the rest of us will have to settle for the practical alternative.

With that I'm grabbing my coat and 'legging it' to central Asia where they don't have e-mail and no-one can pick on me there

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 19:37

Sadly, and it does cause me real pain to have to say this, overall total vehicle running costs also have to come into the equation, which will make the M5 choice hard for many.

Even sadder is the fact that I have admitted as such above somewhere in this thread though can't remember where, probably because I was much younger when I posted it!

ay mate-nice car, it'll be gone by tonight

Been there lost one already! You don't want to know security measures employed to ensure it doesn't happen again!

Also, the Touring bodyshell is hugely useful for our big, useless 'I love all people including car thieves' Alsation (sorry Ben!!!) dog, and for nipping down to the DIY store and lugging large, heavy flat packs back home and piling in mountains of shopping etc.

Thankfully I've the Landcruiser for those type jobs.....

That's where the 540i Touring scores big points, and I'm going to have to 'side' with 'trainspotter' Mike here

The train now arriving at platform 5.......

At the end of the day though, it's an unrealisible dream for many, and so the rest of us will have to settle for the practical alternative.

Don't tell anyone... But, until I somehow convinced SWMBO that an M5 was preferable, we were looking at E34 Touring 540's

With that I'm grabbing my coat and 'legging it' to central Asia where they don't have e-mail and no-one can pick on me there

I lived in Asia for 10 years.... you can run, but we'll find you!

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 19:54

Yes, and you'd probably catch me too in your M5

I was reading about it last night in my Brooklands Performance Portfolio on the E34-still a mighty tasty beast

As it was the local 'wildlife' nearly had my 540i-they broke in but couldn't break the steering lock. I found a pair of pliers left on the wheelie bin in the drive, so took them up the road to the cop shop as evidence.

Only when I later checked in the boot did I find the pliers missing from my bootlid toolkit-cheeky ****ards had only tried to rob my own car with the car's own toolkit-full marks for ingenuity though

Since then huge amounts of extra security have gone up, and I delved into the E34 electrical system to find the choiciest way to disable the engine every night, in addition to the standard alarm.

Had they succeeded in nicking it, then it would have indeed been 'the train now standing at platform 5' as I join the happy throngs in the carriage to work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic