Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked44th BMW Driver Training at the Nurburgring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 44th BMW Driver Training at the Nurburgring
    Posted: 22-August-2006 at 20:32

Saturday 12th August 2006

A smooth enough sailing from Dublin to Holyhead brought us to the start of our journey. Mick and I decided we would follow the person in front as both of us had GPS, all went well and I took the lead after 50 miles into the journey. Suddenly I get a call, it was Mick.

Mick - “Kin, my engine has just blew up”

Kin – “Very funny dude, where are you”

Mick – “No seriously, I have just turned off the motorway”

Kin – “Ah *&^%$“

No idea what was wrong and because I had a dinner date with friends at 7pm we decided to see if we could limp into London and call up the AA or BMW assist. We arrive in London at 7.30pm, being the caring friend that I am I proceeded to go to dinner. O.K. it was a bit selfish of me but there was a hottie and Mick understands so don’t be judging.  Mick went to the Hotel and frantically called around to see what could be done, in the end BMW assist agreed to come and have a look at the car in the morning. At that time Mick needed a drink bad and I drove back to collect him and headed to a club with a few fiends.

Sunday 13th August 2006

BMW assist arrived an hour early at 9am, at around 10am all was sorted, all free I might add.

We had a bit of breakfast and were on our way. The journey all the way to Germany was a smooth one, weather was not great at points but there was no major hold ups. Actually I lie, there was a overturned car with a man laying on the ground covered with blood being put on a stretcher in Belgium, other than that though there was nothing out of the ordinary. Somewhere in Belgium after the accident I decided to go well into the triple digits to make use of the open road, unfortunately at the same time Mick got held up being another car and within a minute I was just but a distant memory. At this time Mick’s GPS asked him to turn right, not knowing if I had taken the turn he decided he better follow instructions. From then on we were going different routes, Mick the scenic B road route and I was sticking to the motorways. We arrived just before the sun went down and headed over to registration and dinner. At dinner most of the welcome speech was in German, all the English speaking people only getting a translation after each paragraph. To our surprise after a sentence everyone started standing up. Our group all looked around wondering what was happening. The English translator then says “Thank you all for listening, please enjoy your dinner”. Doh! At this point the queues for the buffet was huge, ah well we know for the next time.

Monday 14th August 2006

It was a cold enough morning and after a quick munch we headed off to the Ring straight where all the cars lined up in groups. The track was covered in mist and I was wondering how we were going to drive in this conditions. Our Coach was Peter Han a 40 year veteran coach of the BMW driver training and was 74 years young. He is a remarkable man being so fit and able to drive at such precision and speeds even at his age. Our group was made up of an Alpina B7, 5 M3s, 2  CSLs, 4 M5s, 911 GT3, 911 C4s, 190E Cosworth, SLK and a Z3M Coupe. Our training are broke up into sections, we started at the Kesselchen section and went forward during the duration of the next 2 days. Being able to drive up the sections backwards and forwards several time really helped familiarise oneself with the bends of the ring. We ended training around noon and had an hour of free lapping before lunch. Being novices we did not refuel and with a little than half a tank of petrol I was only able to do 2 laps before having to go in. Mick managed another lap before having to come in himself. Oh and I had an off road excursion as well at Adenauer Forst, no video footage unfortunately. After lunch and a visit to the petrol station we headed out for another section. We then headed out of the track and entered another part of the ring. Woo hoo! Skid pan! I have never done this before and it was a treat. You head toward a surface which randomly chucks your car to either side inducing a skid, you then have to apply opposite lock to correct the car. The first time caught me out, after that I have to say I got the hang of it. After this we headed back and out for dinner at the Lindenhoff and then back to the hotel for an early night.

Tuesday 15th August 2006

Today started off pretty much the same, more sections were covered in a similar way. We also happened to cover the corner Adenauer Forst which I had the off yesterday. The group was split in two and which one group watched with the coach the rest went one by one through the corner. I did ok on the first run taking it easy, second run I though “lets have some fun!” and pretty much drifted very badly through the corners. Took the 3rd one easy again and was told later by the coach “much much better than the last one ya”. After lessons we headed off to Lunch before heading out on our free laps, unlike yesterday. Yes we refuelled before going out this time. We also heard at this point that a CSL was written off the day before and a bike had crashed earlier in the day. The CSL driver walked away while the biker had to be airlifted to hospital. Hope he was ok. After a good 6 or so laps we came back in and headed off to finish the sections. Dinner tonight was at the famous Pistenklause, we all had the steak on the stone for the main which was yummy. Everyone was cooking their steak while I was almost eating my raw. All the conversation was on how to drive on the judged lap tomorrow. Mick was going to take it nice and slow, I was just… well going to drive like a mad man like I always do.

Wednesday 16th August 2006

We had a bit of a later start today as another group was out before us for their free lapping. Each group had their 1 hour allocated before we went out on our judged laps. The lap was judged on the line that was taken on the track, not as much on speed but you had to carry the right amount of speed as well otherwise the corners do not flow into each other. Drivers were sent out in our groups and the first ones out were the fastest so as the ones behind was less likely to catch the one in front. I think they made a mistake as they had a CSL a few cars behind me, and for some reason Mick was in front.

The lap went well enough so I thought, the only major error was when I went into the hairpin at Wehseifen too quickly and understeered into the curb. When I hit the main straight Mick was in my sights, see I was right I am faster than Mick. Only later did I find out that Mick was driving miss daisy during his lap thinking that it was better to hit all the corners correct (which he did), only to find out later he was judged as going too slow.

After our laps we went and spectated at a corner for while before heading back to the track for the public day later on. We had 2 laps each and Mick and I took turns driving while the other was a passenger. Before this though I went out on a lap in Steve’s CSL, it was at this time I realised what a pussy I was. Steve was right out to the edge on every corner and really using the entire road, I really did not have the confidence in myself or my car to do that. I then went as a passenger with Mick, at this point I was filled with jealousy as Mick had obviously learned the track and had more confidence than I did. Mick was placing the car where he wanted and at all the right places, all this resulted in a very enjoyable lap with a “novice” ring driver. After that Mick had to endure a lap in my car, suffice to say all though the lap we were both laughing. It would be fine but the laughter was at all my missed apexes and my tyre squealing everywhere. Ah well.

Dinner time soon came and it was the awards ceremony. I won’t bore you with the details but the best driver in our group was in an E39 M5, unmodified. As Mick and I were the only 2 people that had never done the driver training before, I came last and Mick came in front of me.

Thursday 17th August 2006

After deciding last evening we would leave Germany early thus arriving in London earlier and having more time to relax and go out. The trip back was seamless, it took us 3hr 30min to get from the Nurburgring to Calais and we were not even pushing the limits of our cars either. Arriving in London we found our hotel, Hilton Waldorf how swish. I stepped out to ask the doorman where the closest car park was, he said we could get our car valeted as we were residents, to which I replied “Sorry no one get to drive my car but me”. After relaxing in the hotel for a few hours we proceeded to Christopher’s for very nice dinner, thanks to Mick for the meal.  After eating too much we headed out…

Friday 18th August 2006

Waking up with rather tired but with a clear head I met up with Mick, to say he looked rough was an understatement, that is what you get for drinking. We had a nice hearty lunch at a pub and started our journey to catch out boat in Holyhead which was leaving at 6.30pm. Thinking that 12.30pm was easily enough time to get there since I did the journey once in 3hr 30min we took it easy, more for Mick’s sake really. It was about halfway through the journey that we realised we are in trouble, after terrible traffic caused by a crash by a Ferrari Challenge Stradale and a Jag S Type into the barriers we hit yet another jam. It was at this point we through maybe it would be a good idea to follow my GPS instead of Mick’s. My GPS brought me toward the M6 which was just about the worst thing that could happen. There was an oil spill just after junction 16 which caused a tailback from junction 11. Now we were just dreading the idea of having to stay in Holyhead for the night but it was inevitable that we were going to have to.

Arriving in Holyhead at 8.30pm we headed over to the Stena office, we were given two options, one was to go on standby for the 2.30am boat or take the 9.30am boat. After some thought and consulting with Mick’s ever understanding wife we decided to find a Hotel and get the morning boat. God forbid if we went on the waitlist and did not get a boat and was stuck without a room for the night.

Saturday 19th August 2006

We awake and head straight to the boat, it was raining heavily but the sailing was very smooth. As we munched on a Burger King breakfast Mick and I discussed more about our cars and how it handled at the ring. I commented how I really needed a M3 and Mick how he needed a CSL, truth be told all we really need is to drive what we have better. After a surprising quick sail we arrived back in Ireland, farewells were exchanged and no doubt we will be at it again this time next year.

Big thanks to Mick for sharing this journey with me and his wife Maeve for letting him come and play.

Edited by Kin Mak
Sponsored Links

b7 eater View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

BMW anoraks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b7 eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2006 at 20:49
Great photos and write up      It was good to meet you and Mick. 
E21 323i baur
E34 M5
M3 GT
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2006 at 21:09
great write up kin!, sounds like a big success and good fun.. the pictures are good also!! glad you both enjoyed it and i'm gonna start saving my 4k for a trip over next year
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2006 at 22:12
Well done Kin, nice write up. I look forward to doing that whem I'm older and richer like you and Mick. I bet the most expensive part of the whole trip was the Burger King breakfast on the boat though.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2006 at 22:34
Lol nice one Kin.  Glad you posted that pic of the ferrari.  It may have saved my bacon.

Some of my own pics.  I took loads of pics of the same cars as Kin which I won't repeat.

Waiting for the ferry;

The cars on the chunnel;

Lol my own car wasn't the only one in pieces.  Kin was trying his best to put a brave face on the fact that his cd player mysteriously stopped working under the English Channel and he was facing a 5 hour drive across Belgium with no music!

Another of that terrible accident in Belgium.

The cars lined up on the main straight on Monday morning

Our first section was actually the famous carousel.  We lined the cars up around the outside and then Peter Hahn showed us how it was done at implausible speed.

Every time we went to fill up there was exotic machinery at the pumps.  I thought this Alpina B6 was gorgeous.

The famous RingHaus Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Lovejoy was supposed to be driving this Silva Stryker which is kept at the Ringhaus but an engine transplant of a Fiesta Zetec was taking longer than expected.

This Rare Ferrari Superamerica was tasty enough.

hatzenbach on a rainy morning

Kin was laughing being the only wussy in the group with the foresight to bring an umbrella

"uuuuhhh uuuuuuhh hey Beavis, were we like supposed to go through that field, uuuhhhhh uuuuhh uuuh"

The cars lined up waiting for the evaluation lap

Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2006 at 23:30
Looks like fun.  What was the least powerful car in your group?
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2006 at 23:42
The SLK 200 that Ben rented, it has 160bph. I remeber seeing a Peugeot 206 in another group as well. Not sure which variant though.
US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote US M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 00:10

Great pics and write up lads, it really is a great place, how did the E30 M3's get on?

It looks weird all the car facing the wrong direction on the main straight and karasel, there is no shortage of exotic motors over there, did you lads buy any model cars in the petrol station?

They have some collection in there.

1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
Aidan316i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan316i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 00:47
Originally posted by ///M3Mick ///M3Mick wrote:

Kin you should learn to stop playing with your knob! You'll do it damage!

Originally posted by ///M3Mick ///M3Mick wrote:

"uuuuhhh uuuuuuhh hey Beavis, were we like supposed to go through that field, uuuhhhhh uuuuhh uuuh"

made me laugh

Excellent Photos you guys, kin was that M3 a GTR Replica?

Glad one of you guys snapped the E92 Coupe, a sort of spy photo!

I'm deffo gonig to the nurenburg 1 year!
www.ni-bmw.co.uk

E46 316i Saloon
E36 323i Touring
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 00:55
It was a modified CSL I think, still had the CSL engine in it. The driver sure could drive and all those mods really did do the trick.
Aidan316i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan316i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 01:32
Its got the arches aswell, looks the dogs dangelies anyway!
www.ni-bmw.co.uk

E46 316i Saloon
E36 323i Touring
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 09:13

The car is a modded CSL with a widebody kit and from the sound of it, a full replacement exhaust system from headers back.  It was ahead of me at the petrol station and when he turned on the engine, I could feel my whole car vibrate.

And while I feel it looks like a dogs dinner (you should see the diffuser and bootlid from directly behind) it is definitely for Go not show and the guy was flying.

Mick

Steve Gill View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 16:19

Great report, and some super pics. I was too lazy to take pics

That CSL was a good friend of Thorleifs, agreed it looks a bit rough but he could definitely drive.

Clearly the secret to getting a better mark next year is to fit a large spoiler on the back

Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 16:22
More like Thorleifs nemesis... 
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 16:58

Steve

Based on that passenger lap, I don't think you needed any extra grip or downforce :)

Maybe being positioned closer to the front might do it

Mick

KenM View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 17:24
Great write up, great pics... looking forward to the stories on Saturday.... talk to you then!
digweed View Drop Down
I’m SOOO cut out for world domination!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 17:33

guy's thats a really good write up, don't know if this is a naught suject any more, but have you considered sending it in to the mag??? (it'll beat most of the other stuff printed anyway)

D.

Dermot O Rourke, used to be '99 520 black metallic
Now '01 525 M-Sport, cosmos black, sports half leather seats, upgraded lights and a kick like a mule!!!
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 17:58
Well i it is going into the mag Mick might have to correct my engleesh I am sure. 
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2006 at 21:11
more good photo's lads!!! great to look at, must try and get there some day!!! Kin & Mick... will this be an annual event for you guys??????
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2006 at 10:06

Luke

I am definitely going again next year.  The dates for next year will be out in November.  I think if you plan in advance and pay the fee early etc it helps to spread the pain of the cost.

It might be necessary to book early in any event, because I heard that this year they were pretty much full up in terms of places and the course is getting more and more recognition.  Lots of the people were repeats (as Kin said, in our group of 15, we were the only 2 who hadnt done the course before).  Also, Peppernick of evotechnik is going which will probably mean the whole EvoTechnik crew will be going :)

Also, stuff like ferries etc are much cheaper when booked in advance.

Mick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic