Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRing Trip Disaster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ring Trip Disaster
    Posted: 12-August-2006 at 23:53
Howdy Lads

By this time I expected myself and Kin would be posting lots of cool shots and drive bys in the tunnels of wales as we make our way to germany for the BMW driver training.

Instead I am holed up in a kippy hilton hotel in kensington, after my f**king engine decided to conk on me somewhere in north wales.  Cruising along the  motorway at nice speeds all of a sudden I lost power, engine starts spluttering and the emissions warning light comes on.

Managed to make it to an exit, gave it 20 mins until the light went out.  Managed to get another 40 miles or so before the same thing happened.  Another enforced break, made our way off again and somehow I managed to coax the car all the way to london.  Feels like an ignition coil is gone and I am down a couple of cylinders....once I get the car up to speed it will cruise ok but put the foot down at all and it will start splutttering and conk out. 

To top this off, we were relying on gps and neither myself nor kin had programmed our systems to avoid the area around heathrow.  We therefore got caught in the mother of all traffic jams and to say I had 5 litres of urine in my bladder before we made it to a bog would be an understatement.

Anyway, the AA will only help me if I join for 12 months but can't guarantee they can solve my problem.  After many painful phonecalls to BMW assist I finally managed to get a really nice lady called Claire who helped me out and has organised a tech for tomorrow am, but we will now miss our chunnel crossing and all of the public day plus possibly registration for the event.

I just hope its something as simple as coils, plugs or o2 sensors and not something major.

Say a prayer for me tonite boys.

Mick
Sponsored Links

e46 m3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e46 m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 00:49

jeez mick, bad luck, as i really can't be arsed to do any work this evening i wish you all the best for the morning and hopefully it'll be something minor

finger crossed you get sorted and be at the ring within 12 hrs

Emmet323 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmet323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 01:45
Yup that sucks but with a bit of luck you'll be downing the pints this time tomorrow celebrating your first day at the ring, wish i was going along too. Hopefully it's nothing major anyway.
US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote US M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 01:46
Fingers crossed its something small ///M3Mick and you get over to the ring in time.
1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 10:22
Woohooo!!!

Thanks to my guardian angel, Alan, from BMW assist I am back on the road.

As I suspected, it was a bust ignition coil on cylinder 5.  They are old coils from a batch known to fail from before they moved to Bosch. He replaced all 6 sicne the new ones are not compatible with the old ones.

Off to catch a train!!

Mick

ps Kin has lots of embarassing pics of the car in little pieces which I am sure he will post up later.

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 10:59
glad you got sorted. enjoy the ring!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 15:19

Thats good Mick. Hope all goes well for the rest of the trip. If it brakes down again just buy a real good tow rope and get Kin to tow you. I'm sure you could still cruise at 70mph.

1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
lukeduke View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 18:13
i know how you feel mick.. this happened to me on a trip to the north for karting and i was on the hard shoulder for 2 hours, eventually got sorted .. glad to hear your sorted .. enjoy the ring and cant wait to see the pictures!!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 18:17
A trip to the North to go karting?????? Getting some practice are we?
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

A trip to the North to go karting?????? Getting some practice are we?
it was a few months back!!! havent been since the last meeting at kylemore!!! hopefully i can go to the mondello one because i'm off to Australia on the 5th of september without my wife and kids.. they might want to spend that sunday with me!!! i'd say ill be gion tho!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 21:48

Luke, just act like a real a**hole on the Sunday morning and you'll be kicked out of the house and then you can come karting.

Mick, hope everything goes okay and I'm looking forward to video's and pics.

Kin, looking forward to some 'Ring gardening vids.

Aidan316i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan316i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 22:38
Mick hope you and Kin Make it to the nurenburg ring, looking forward to seeing some photos, oh and don't forget to time it for us! 
www.ni-bmw.co.uk

E46 316i Saloon
E36 323i Touring
US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote US M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 00:20

Good to hear you got sorted lads, enjoy the Nordschleife.

Have a few bitburgers for us alland dont forget to cook your own steak in the pistenklause

Edited by US M3
1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llatsni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 12:27
OH MY GOD! and THANK GOD!

lol

that was a close one mick... hope you lads didnt miss out on too much.

Paul
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 12:46
seems to be something with bringing BMW's thru england.
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 17:05

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

At least you're on the road again fairly quickly!

///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2006 at 16:55
Wahey Lads

I'm writing this sitting comfortably now in the hilton waldorf in london.  Back tomorrow.

Made it in the end at around 7.30 on sunday night just in time for registration.

Full report to follow, but we had a fantastic time and I think I can safely say there is no better way to learn the ring than to go on this course.  We went out on some public laps on wednesday night and I think it would take 50 laps in those conditions to learn what we did in 3 days.  Its not just beginners; myself and kin were the only two in our group who hadnt been before and the standard of driving was excellent!!!  I am planning next years visit already.

The standard of cars was amazing; E46 M3's and CSL's were common as muck, as were 911's and a fair bit of exotica thrown in such as a corvette Z06, Ferrari Superamerica, F430 etc

As regards lap times, my best was sadly a 9.35 but I think we both can do better.  We just wanted to get back in one piece on our first trip. 

We did have the steak in the pistenklause and it is fabulous, and although its cliche we will both be sporting 'ring stickers on our bootlids now.

If anyone is itching to read about it, ben Lovejoy (yes the famous one who has over 1500 laps under his belt) was in our group and was writing it up as he went along.

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/trip_reports/trip48/index.html

Ciao

Mick

Edited by ///M3Mick
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2006 at 17:05
Well done. Glad you got there in time. And glad you got out of there in one piece too. Looking forward to more info and pics.
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2006 at 20:56
i'm glad you guys made it!!! cant wait for the pictures...
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2006 at 21:54
Glad to hear it turned out well in the end - looking forward to seeing the pics.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic