Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedUwe & the boys in TBMW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uwe & the boys in TBMW
    Posted: 09-August-2006 at 13:40

Good to see such coverage of E30 M3s in the mag - still feel there is room for regular E30 M3 tuning advice somewhere.

I know we cover stuff on engines, suspensions etc on various forums on an ad hoc basis, but how about someone getting a guide together. I, for one, would be willing to help, but unfortunately engine building isn't my strong point...or suspension ..or...

Thoughts?

piers66
Sponsored Links

US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote US M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 01:42
Is that in this months, I missed it over the last few months
1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 10:28
Yep was a fund day out. Shame everybody went at 12!
I found it a little bit cheaky ( to say the least) from a red M3 to claim only 250 bhp well knowing the car was putting down 300 on a other Dyno before.....

Also wondering if a trip up to Powerstation is adding bhp while'u'drive? (read the EWOK article and compare power figures from this board and the Powerstation run) uups.....
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 10:46
Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Also wondering if a trip up to Powerstation is adding bhp while'u'drive? (read the EWOK article and compare power figures from this board and the Powerstation run) uups.....

Yeah, Powerstations correction factors are a bit optimistic. EWOK 154BHP at wheels (uncorrected) makes 236bhp at the fly (uncorrcted) 82BHP LOSS. My arse.

Steve
lyndonbuck View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyndonbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 11:48
Don't I recognise some of those faces in the mag from Crimewatch? And Des
Thrash is the best name I have ever heard!
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 12:07
Always thought the chap Major Dick Hazard had a name to enjoy, but thats another thread.........
E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 12:29
As has been discussed ad nauseum it's difficult to compare across dynos on different days - but I'll still post what my lastest figure is when I get it tomorrow. What I thought interesting is that there is a pretty big jump between standard cars & those "lightly modded".
piers66
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 15:39

Originally posted by stevesingo stevesingo wrote:

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Yeah, Powerstations correction factors are a bit optimistic. EWOK 154BHP at wheels (uncorrected) makes 236bhp at the fly (uncorrcted) 82BHP LOSS. My arse.

Steve

Steve, I agree.

That car isn't even making 200BHP in my opinion. Assuming that all wheel bearings, rear tracking, brakes, tyres etc, etc are in good condition and correct it will only be loosing 40-45BHP through the transmission (as both my SE and Evo2 does and my Europameister did 6 years ago)

I havn't bothered to buy the mag, but was Ewok put in the same feature as this dyno day?

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 17:15
[QUOTE=UweM3] Yep was a fund day out. Shame everybody went at 12!
I found it a little bit cheaky ( to say the least) from a red M3 to claim only 250 bhp well knowing the car was putting down 300 on a other Dyno before.....

QUOTE]

Uwe

me and Kev met this car and owner at Croft. He claimed 300 bhp and Kevs could not possibly get 300 with a distributor. Well kev's car overtook it and out dragged it on the back straight. His excuse was kev had larger cams, so what if he did, but the claim was Kev did not have 300 BHP.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2006 at 18:36
Dessies car..
I have not driven it myself but I do know the engine builder very well.
It has all the right bits added to a very strong engine and has been assembled correctly.
300 is very optimistic though.. watching the car in action at Cadwell from behind in a well driven stock 2.3 it could not pull away.
I also noticed everyone on his tail at Croft complaining that the car was fast on the straights but holding them up through the twisties..

I would say that the car makes a good solid useable 265 or thereabouts.

Nick
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 13:22
I've seen his dyno polt from Powerstation and it made 220 odd at the wheels. (Can't check 'cause British Airways has my laptop anmongst other stuff that they lost for me on friday) But the Flywheel figure was something like 316BHP! Good old Powerstaion corrections.

Steve

Edited by stevesingo
piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 15:23

Just to add a little fuel to the fire, here are my latest figures:

At 7800 rpm 192 bhp at wheels, 237 bhp "flywheel"

At 5500 rpm 175lbft torque

Weirdly (as it is meant to have 284/276 combo) still pulling strong at 8k...

Done at Chipwizards, Rochdale.

piers66
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 18:39
Piers66, that seems pretty much spot on
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Dannyboy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 19:17
Did I read the engine tuning section right because it looks like they are
not happy with there alpha N and are going to ditch it in favour of a stand
alone ECU?
1992 clio 1.8 16V Good
1998 Subaru Impreza Turbo Terzo Great
1987 M3 Diamond Black Awesome (Now awesomer with Billys & Eibach)
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 19:33

Originally posted by Dannyboy Dannyboy wrote:

Did I read the engine tuning section right because it looks like they are
not happy with there alpha N and are going to ditch it in favour of a stand
alone ECU?

Thats stupid, there are lots of guys here that have had the AN fitted and are totally happy with it, I suspect Power Station has talked them into thier Motec? I wouldn't bother with that either and go for the Dastek Uni-Q if I was them. But then - They seem to know better, so who am I to say?

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 14:42
Also noticed the 'loss' figure was like 60bhp on the before and 80 odd bhp
on the after. So its easy to pick up 20hp in that case.

If i remember right the difference between wheel figures was like 6bhp !

EDIT: also I belive the Catcams 283 is pretty much the same as a BMW 264
or 272 (can't remember which) if measured in the same way.

Edited by 215DMX
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2006 at 15:43
Dave, the wheel figures are not corrected. It is only once the losses have been added that the correction is done.

Thinking about it...

How can you add a correction factor to a transmission loss where that loss is not affected by the tempreture/barometric conditions?

I'll have to lok in to that...

Steve
Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2006 at 13:55
One thing worth mentioning before this thread dies

Whether or not a car can pull away from another on a track mostly depends on how well the cars are being driven

just because a powerful car doesn't pull away doesn't mean it hasn't got the claimed power

speed through the turns has a very big effect on speed on the straights

you can never assume that 2 drivers have equal ability
Matt T View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2006 at 19:51
Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

Dessies car..
I have not driven it myself but I do know the engine builder very well.
It has all the right bits added to a very strong engine and has been assembled correctly.
300 is very optimistic though.. watching the car in action at Cadwell from behind in a well driven stock 2.3 it could not pull away.
I also noticed everyone on his tail at Croft complaining that the car was fast on the straights but holding them up through the twisties..

I would say that the car makes a good solid useable 265 or thereabouts.

Nick

I bought my car from him and had a look at his...(excuse the rubbish phone pics)

He claimed 300bhp to me, he certainly hasnt cut short spending money on it.

Although i have to say, i saw it at Brands a few months ago and it was getting seriously hassled by most the M3's, including Martin's standard 195.

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2006 at 10:38
it was getting hassled....

as i said it all depends on the driver
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic