Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Motorsport & Track Days Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTrack Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iain H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Track Day
    Posted: 05-August-2006 at 20:20
We are thinking of having a major track day next year and I am looking for experience and advice from members.

Is anyone up for running/organising the finer points of a track day if we provide a venue coupled with a big BMW meet ???

Hope you get the gist of my question..............

Iain

E30Zone Moderator
Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
Sponsored Links

Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2006 at 21:50
when are you thinking of running your major trackday?

.. We have done DP in the past and it has never broken even.. you either need a massive entry or very rich customers.

Have you worked out your cost?
Who will stump up the deposit?
Who will pay the shortfall if there is one?

You need to think about insurance.. the organiser could be looking at a potential negligence lawsuit if something went wrong.

Look at your dates and try not to clash with established trackdays.. you need a bit of a breather in between to let people get saved up.

Let me have your plans and I will try to help if I can.

Good luck
Iain H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iain H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2006 at 09:55
Nick,

We have taken into consideration the points you have kindly mentioned.
Insurance, sponsor/funding and a good committee of dedicated organisers for the day.

What we are looking for is support to physically run the track on the day. Marshalls are available and all health and safety would be covered. We need experience to organise the track/sessions etc.

Iain
Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2006 at 18:47
Originally posted by Iain H Iain H wrote:

We need experience to organise the track/sessions etc.

Won't the circuit do that for you?
If they are providing all the marshalls and crew.. then the pit lane marshall is usually the one responsible for getting the sessions out in the right order.

Which circuit are you thinking of using?
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2006 at 22:41

Watch out Pedant patrol!

Marshal does not have a double L

(same as Donington doesn't have a double N)

OK - back to the thread!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2006 at 07:56
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Marshal does not have a double L

that one always catches me out.. I'll stand in the corner.

Edited by Nick
Iain H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iain H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2006 at 12:48
Me too !!!!

Dont have experience of organising track days hence the simple question but thanks for the info.

Thought there may be a track group etc on this forum and thought they may like to get involved.

Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2006 at 13:38
Originally posted by Iain H Iain H wrote:

Thought there may be a track group etc on this forum and thought they may like to get involved.

Just take the bookings,
sort out a good date,
take the bookings,
Circuit is important.. some have more cred than others.. don't pay too much,
take the bookings,
Decide if you want open pit or sessions,
take the bookings,
make sure you publicise your event well to the extent of harrassing people into coming.
Don't let too many people get involved in your one main task which I may not have mentioned is to take the bookings!

The single most hardest task of sorting out a trackday is actually getting the money. You want it now.. but they don't want to pay you yet. You will need to devote an extraordinarily long time to doing this.. prepare to get sent to the spare bedroom because it will impinge on your family life.

Get all your documents ready to send so you can e-mail them over as you are talking on the phone.. big up your event.. get them wanting it and then get the credit card number.

Do not just wait for the bookings to come in, it won't happen that easily.. and don't underprice it.. breakeven is nice, but what if you have to give some refunds, take at least a couple into account.

..as tempting as it may be to take all the bookings you can get.. there are some you dont want. If you don't know them.. a few moment on the phone explaining what the event is like and what you expect from the drivers will give you a good measure of the people you are dealing with.

Nick
Iain H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iain H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2006 at 09:33
Nick

Thanks for the advice.

Really helpful and yes I know the spare bedroom syndrome, Gaydon and Santa Pod for the zone have taken much of my time lol

You going to Gaydon ?

If so I will be manning the E30 Register Display with Ron Parish, pop over and say hello if you can.

Thanks once again,

Iain
Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2006 at 13:14
can't make Gaydon I'm afraid this year.. Sundays are bad for me, there is just too much to do.. thank goodness trackdays are on a weekday or they would be out of the window as well.

Have a great time.

Nick
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2006 at 21:36
I wanna do Croft again........

Best UK circuit I've been to! Sunny in/Sunny
out is such a buzz when you get it right.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic