Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe Ring @ August Bank Holiday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evosport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ring @ August Bank Holiday
    Posted: 25-July-2006 at 22:12

Thinking about doing the Ring over the Bank Holiday Weekend. Does anyone know if extra busy, and would be wasting my first trip going at that time.

Craig

1990 M3 Sport Evo

2002 330d Sport Touring

Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2006 at 07:46
I am going 12. and 13. August as this is the unofficial S14 meeting at the Ring.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2006 at 08:16
I'll be there with a bunch of Westies/Caterhams from 17th August through to 21st August. But next year I'll probably tag onto the S14 meet..
piers66
M3DTM View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3DTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2006 at 14:00

So who else is going on 12/13 August from here? Will John-M3 be there? Probably not with his M3?

John

A properly sorted E30 M3 is still 'King of the Ring'
Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2006 at 21:19
I went to the ring a few weeks ago in my M6. The track was packed, with around 30 cars/bikes a minute going past at peak. A biker came off at around 120mph and hit a concrete wall. The bike bounced off and landed on him - twice. The ambulance was parked 200 yards away, and took 7.5 minutes to start up and get to the guy. No staff arrived for 12 minutes after the incident. All traffic was stopped by spectators jumping over the fence and flagging cars down at great risk to themselves.
37 people had been killed and hundreds injured on the track so far this year.

Anyone who wishes to drive on such a poorly organised track has to be an idiot. Never again.

1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2006 at 06:58
Originally posted by Howard Howard wrote:

I went to the ring a few weeks ago in my M6. The track was packed, with around 30 cars/bikes a minute going past at peak. A biker came off at around 120mph and hit a concrete wall. The bike bounced off and landed on him - twice. The ambulance was parked 200 yards away, and took 7.5 minutes to start up and get to the guy. No staff arrived for 12 minutes after the incident. All traffic was stopped by spectators jumping over the fence and flagging cars down at great risk to themselves.

Anyone who wishes to drive on such a poorly organised track has to be an idiot. Never again.

be happy that there is an ambulance at all. Driving on the Ring IS NOT A TRACK DAY. It's a public toll road with SPEED LIMITS in certain areas.
The Nuerburgring GMbH is giving you the opportunity to drive on the worlds most famous race track. DRIVING not racing.
kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2006 at 08:01

Howard, as Uwe has noted you have completely missed the whole point of the Ring. Unfortunately a large number of others also think it is a full on race track on public days as can be easily witnessed by their poor driving standards.

It is a public road and German driving regulations are in full force, you don't expect to have an ambulance at every roundabout or motorway junction do you?

Anyway back on topic I will not be there for the Bank Holiday weekend but hope to be the weekend before. 

Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
rattusM3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rattusM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2006 at 08:47

Doing 18 to 21 August
E28 Alpina B9
E28 M535i (now a donor for B9)
E24 M6 (work has started to get back up to scratch)
E30 M3 (New Engine (almost), Cams, Brakes, ECU, Suspension, Alpha-N - Thanks Stannard Motors)
E39 530i Touring - Now Sold, sob, sob
E39 523i Touring
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2006 at 09:09

will be there 12 to 17 august

cannot wait - like the proverbial on a hot tin roof........

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
Pooky View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2006 at 16:47

Originally posted by Howard Howard wrote:

Actually there have been three deaths in the past year and all recently. Two bikers were killed in a single accident on the 11th June, they were the first deaths for over a year. Sadly another biker was killed on the 23rd July.

These are taken very seriously, I understand from German colleagues that derestricted roads are allowed two deaths a year before a review of safety is undertaken.

I've been going there for 6 years and as others have pointed out the recent increase in accident rate is down to popularity and the standard of driving. Unfortunately programs such as Top Gear and some publications have glorified the place without making people aware of the risks.

Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2006 at 21:15
Like texas2201 I will be there from the 13th to the 17th for the BMW driver training, should be a blast.
Steve Gill View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2006 at 00:15

I'll be there 12th to 21st, in my new (non diesel) motor

Yes I've turned to the dark side

b7 eater View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

BMW anoraks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b7 eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2006 at 10:13
wow steve,   never thought that would happen,  Also there for the driver training, See you all soon!!!      
E21 323i baur
E34 M5
M3 GT
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2006 at 10:25

Originally posted by b7 eater b7 eater wrote:

wow steve,   never thought that would happen,  Also there for the driver training, See you all soon!!!      

I had a shot of Thorleif's M3 GT last weekend and it's got petrol back into my blood

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2006 at 10:30
Originally posted by SG535d SG535d wrote:

I'll be there 12th to 21st, in my new (non diesel) motor

Yes I've turned to the dark side

you are joking!

But at least one familiar face will be there at the 12th. Looking forward to see you Steve!

Edited by UweM3
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2006 at 10:53

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

you are joking!

But at least one familiar face will be there at the 12th. Looking forward to see you Steve!

Likewise Uwe - it'll be a busy weekend no doubt

b7 eater View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

BMW anoraks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b7 eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2006 at 10:53

Howard,

I am surprised you did not attend the driver training event, run by bmw clubs europa, that is very well organised and teaches people to drive the ring correctly and safely on a closed curcuit.

E21 323i baur
E34 M5
M3 GT
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2006 at 12:27

Wow Steve!

you spend more money on cars than I do

Martin

See you at the Ring soon

got a new set of R888's fro Ł340 fro four!!!!

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
Mallorcaman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mallorcaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2006 at 20:15

I am there right now, lap after lap in my front room on Gran Turismo 4 in an effort to learn the circuit a little better prior to my arrival at the driver training on the 13th.

This way I hope not to get lost again and go straight on at Steilstrecke when I ought to turn right!

MALLORCAMAN
Putting the ///M in Mallorca
kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2006 at 22:00
Gavin,

I assume you have a working ABS this time ????
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic