Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2006 at 12:05
Originally posted by Mick525i Mick525i wrote:

B0LL0x I only get 260mls in town for €70 in my 525i. I new I should have got an M5...

Mick

Ermm...  do you want to have 11-13mpg and less than 200miles to a tank?
Sponsored Links

lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesurely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2006 at 12:05

Originally posted by BigPhil BigPhil wrote:

Nice and the 01's now can be got for mid to late 40's....cheap enough.

Cheap enough .........he says, a bit out of my league anyway if i arrived home in that after paying 40k for a car my life wouldnt be worth living    but wait darling its a M

Edited by lesurely
e30 325is (deceased)
e36 318is under major construction
E39 530D Sport mtec (all the bells and whistles )

Basic unit of laryngitis: 1 hoarsepower
lesurely
BigPhil View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPhil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2006 at 12:14
Sorry Boss. 
997 C2 now.
lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesurely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2006 at 12:27
Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

Yes I've been looking at that one. A lot. Loads of really really nice ones in the UK as well.
Have been looking there myself, working out the vrt, €/£ rate on so many in the last few weeks that my head is starting to spin.I think its not worth it unless you get a good bargin. There is plenty on ebay seen this one E36M3 GT 26/50 he is looking for about £7k
e30 325is (deceased)

lesurely
UJM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2006 at 13:28
Originally posted by lesurely lesurely wrote:

@UJM3 would say daily commute the same distance takes me about 45 mins to 1 hour city centre traffic then trying to get up the Navan road and Blanch bypass and then when the bypass closes down to one lane just after Clone another big tailback but when schools open that journey can take upto 2 hours (the odd time 2.5) a lot of start stop and a lot of engine time. At the mo it costs me around €10 per day, so kind of reckon a M3 up to about €12 do these figures sound reasonable.

Im working out in Blanch too, coming from Balbriggan (about 50 mins in the morning). Company used to be in the city centre, had a lot of stop start driving then, But i never found the fuel consumption then to be anything bad, have driven a lot of performance cars into work (celica gt4 porsche 944 turbo) and they were a nightmare on petrol. M3's really are a lot more econimcal than you'd think, providing your not driving hard even then its ok, lots of low down torque helps as you don't have to rev it in normal driving. 

lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesurely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 10:15

Ok here's the latest, had a look at this yesterday evening http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car& carID=460868 and she seems to be a fine car. Checked everything arches, seems, body work, electrics, doors you get the picture. Left the engine running for ages and she ticked over very smoothly. Went for a spin very straight and solid. It has a full service history, vanos was done at 67k good alloys and tyres, seats in perfect condition the only faults i could find was a tiny blister on one of the wheel arches, the clutch was stiff compared to mine and what felt like a few mils of the floor when she engaged, though you would have to ease the clutch a bit more if felt like my foot was still very close to the floor when she took of (this could be normal, dont know), the air con needs regassing.

So ,,,, going to get a mechanic to check it out.

,,,,,, I think i could haggle over the price.

,,,,,,, Am a little concerned if it fails the NCT what comeback do i have, insurance company would only quote me from now till end of policy 06/11 €93, would not give me an est quote for next year, could that mean that the insurance might go up by almost that amount per 1/4. Any comments or advice

e30 325is (deceased)

lesurely
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 11:13
Have a realy good look on autotrader.co.uk to see what an M3 in that condition is going for. You should be able to get that price down a bit. If its a good car GO FOR IT.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nn_dd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 11:47
There's a 98 in Autotrader in Limerick for Eur19K, can't paste the link over. In Violet, with 58K, don't jump on the first one that ticks all the boxes that you want. (Not as if I can talk on that one)
E39 530d Touring

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 11:55
Originally posted by lesurely lesurely wrote:

the clutch was stiff compared to mine and what felt like a few mils of the floor when she engaged, though you would have to ease the clutch a bit more if felt like my foot was still very close to the floor when she took of (this could be normal, dont know),

this is normal for these clutches. easily fixed by reaplacing clutch hose with a braided one.

robbie bradford will help you out with one very cheap
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 11:55
personallly i think its a lot of money for that car.

imo before vrt its a €10/11k car
lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesurely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 13:07
What about the NCT how do you think i could get around that. I think the car has to be on Irish plates first.
e30 325is (deceased)

lesurely
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 14:00
yes

car has to be on irish plates first. you also have to bring your tax book along to a nct office so that they can register it on there system. This takes 2/3 days. After that you can book the NCT.

If your worried about NCT bring a competent mechanic along to give the car the once over. He should be able to see if it needs anything for it.
lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesurely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 14:07
Will do
e30 325is (deceased)

lesurely
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 14:41

If the car is on UK or norn iron plates then it should have a current (and ideally recently issued MOT).  If it passes an MOT it should be fairly OK for the NCT.  If i doesn't have a current MOT then ask the vendor to have it done.  If he won't, draw your own conclusions and vote with your feet.  As said previously, this isn't particularly cheap when VRT has to be added. 

As an example, on the UK autotrader site there is a one owner '95 3.0 M3 with 39k miles and full history asking £7995.  That is absolutely the top end of 3.0 M3 money but the ownership and service history mark it out as different.  With mild haggling you'd have that on the road here for €14k.  No vanos worries, no clutch worries, etc. 

Only potential downsides are that it is alpine white and the spec is only moderate.  Provenance, condition and mileage will get you more of your money back when it comes time to sell than the one you have highlighted.  At the age you are considering, condition is way more important than a year younger or newer.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesurely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 15:44

The current MOT expires Jan 07.

Some good points Dergside, i was looking on ebay and could pick one up from 4k to 8k depending. I would prefer to try and pick one up here first. With the vanos done at 67k i would hope theres a few years left before it would need to be done again. The body work is in great condition no scratches or marks a slight blister on the wheel arch inexpensive fix. No rust under the window seals, front, sides or rear (i lifted them to check). The price needs to be worked on. Regassing needs to be done would €200 cover it.

Edited by lesurely
e30 325is (deceased)

lesurely
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 16:06
just cos vanos is done doesnt mean it wont go again - many reports on the m forum of guys getting vanos units replaced more than once!!
lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesurely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 16:19
Ge thanks
e30 325is (deceased)

lesurely
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 16:27
Also, never believe anyone that tells you that air con just needs a re-gas!  If the gas isn't in there, its gotten out somehow.  All other things being equal, the next gas you put in will get out the same way.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesurely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 16:37
Point taken.
e30 325is (deceased)

lesurely
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2006 at 17:07

Originally posted by Eamo Eamo wrote:

just cos vanos is done doesnt mean it wont go again - many reports on the m forum of guys getting vanos units replaced more than once!!

I was told there is a way to clean and maintain the Vanos so its less likely to go. The boys on the M power forum will tell you.

1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic