FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedConlan’s strikes again!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conlan’s strikes again!
    Posted: 06-July-2006 at 15:03

Originally posted by Fey! Fey! wrote:

However, being billed for obviously undone work is unacceptable.

Absolutely, so that should be tackled and the dealer given an opportunity to put the problem right.  Putting it right could entail correcting the problem and crediting the cost of the failed NCT against the next service.

Edited by Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Sponsored Links

Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2006 at 14:49

As Dergside pointed out, it can be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other when it comes to dealing with dealers/indies.  However, being billed for obviously undone work is unacceptable.

Originally posted by Kin Mak Kin Mak wrote:

I once had my XK in Jaguar Ireland before the NCT. Had a full service done and I told them to check for everything that the NCT will test. Went to do the NCT and it failed on "light intensity".
Went back to Jaguar Ireland to kick up a stink, to be fair to them their service was great, they brought me to the back to show me how it was all tested and all.

OT (sorry), but an Irish mechanic just won the Jaguar Worldwide Mechanics Competition in England!

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2006 at 14:37

btw. a handbrake check is not part of the service schedule for an Oil level service.  Seems to me that the technician probably overlooked or ignored the add on item on the work sheet and didn't tell the receptionist, who probably just produced the bill based on the worksheet and the std duration for the job.

There could be a conspiracy here on the part of the dealer, but I doubt it.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2006 at 12:50

Reminds me stopping for a young lad with a '97 'maxed out' Ibiza with his bonnet open a few years ago at the Skee bridge in Allenwood

Had a quick look, there was oil everywhere and no oil filter, seemingly he had done the service himself 20min beforehand and when it got spluttery he thought dropping gears that it might drive what ever was wrong with it out of it !! ( bottom end in this case) Anyway I traced the oil spill back to a t-junction 4 miles up the road and retrived his oil filter in a fine pool of oil.....  Chances are he's probably an apprentice in Conlans now !!!

67% imbalance is a bloody disgrace and should have being picked up  in Conlans. Wouldn't mind the NCT 50% fail on a handbrake makes it one of the easier parts of the test to pass.  Makes you wonder

Thomas

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2006 at 12:40
Mick my lights are one complete sealed unit. I usually call the lot angel eyes. The test doesn't check the alignment of the actual halo part - just the dip beams
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2006 at 12:01
My dad left his van into the main dealer to have its first service a few years back. When he went back to collect it the bill said 16 Half Pints of Oil. How stupid do the dealers think people are. Especially trades men driving vans. (that might sound okay to a woman) Anyway, on his way home he stopped at the shop. When he came out there was a pool of oil under the van. He looked under and his drain plug had opened and let all the oil out. He went mad at the dealer. Never brought his van back.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2006 at 11:43
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Originally posted by ///M3Mick ///M3Mick wrote:

HTF can angel eyes fail your NCT??????  They aren't directional are they?  They are just effectively parking lights!!

The side lights are angel eyes but the dip beams aren't and these are tested

Killian

Just so I understand, are your angel eyes integrated into the main headlamp assembly or something?  i.e. this shouldnt apply to my e46 where I have added aftermarket angel eyes to exisiting xenons which should be unaffected??

Mick

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2006 at 10:39

Originally posted by autofix autofix wrote:

How many cars are serviced by apprentices in dealerships.

On the occassion that I had a problem with my main dealer this was the reason, but as I said, when it was pointed out to the service manager the issues were sorted with no fuss.  It shouldn't have happened, but in any service problems will occur from time to time, by its nature, humans are involved and we are inconsistent creatures.

There is a theme developing here that worries me a bit.  The "all main dealer servicing folks are dimwits" and "all indies are nobel prize winning candidates" is a dodgy one.  This is a huge generalization on both ends.

SOME indies are great (some have been highlighted through this forum) but there are probably far more out there that I wouldn't let near my car because they haven't knowledge, experience or access to information relevant to my cars, or because their service or attitude leaves much to be desired.  Even indies get rogue staff (in reality there may even be more likelihood because they probably pay less than a main dealer) and the indie typically doesn't do all the work himself.

I use both an indie and a main dealer and am more than happy with the service of both.  Each has their particular strength's and weaknesses and that is why I don't use just one or the other.  I have also used main dealers and indies that won't see my business again (not necessarily BMW related) because their service has been poor.  Poor service is the issue, not whether its from a main dealer or an indie.  Poor service is unacceptable. 

If its not challenged when it happens then effectively there is contributory negligence on the part of the customer and no sympathy is due.

Everyone should challenge poor service, from any supplier.  If its a genuine issue and the supplier doesn't deal with it effectively, then spread the word.  Any supplier does, though, deserve the opportunity to put the problem right before they get poor feedback.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2006 at 09:28
Originally posted by ///M3Mick ///M3Mick wrote:

HTF can angel eyes fail your NCT??????  They aren't directional are they?  They are just effectively parking lights!!

The side lights are angel eyes but the dip beams aren't and these are tested
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2006 at 09:21

Guys

Mick

Mick525i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2006 at 08:53

Alan,

I have to agree with you. I stopped sending any of our fleet to main dealers. (except for warranty work) As you say you never know what half wit gets your car. I was told some time back about the number of apprentices working in 1 dealer. From the same dealer my car came out with the break fluid cap loose and the front left wheel nuts un tightened. When I complained they said this couldnt happen later to be told that the apprentice was unsupervised on my car. We have since move everything to a "back street shop" and over the last 5 years not one complaint.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
autofix View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2006 at 08:47

Hi,

I am not a fan of main dealers in general and BMW dealers in particular. But to be fair, while your car in in with one of them the work is done by one staff member. It's just not possible for any one dealership to manage to employ nothing but top notch people. I guess it's a bit of a lottery as regards if you get a good man on your car or not. If the quality of the dealership is to be judged by the abilities of the worst staff member then they all must be judged to be poor. How many cars are serviced by apprentices in dealerships.

Alan

keithc View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2006 at 23:35
My father once brought my mother's car to the dealership he always bought his car from in moneygall to get the breaks done as he didn't have time to do them himself. A week or two after mum got the car back she said the back brakes were still making a noise. Imagine our horror when we took off the back hubs to discover that the pads were completely worn through!! The f#@?1rs had charged dad for changing the back breaks and hadn't bothered their ass to even take off the hubs.Needles to say he hasn't dealt with them again.....he'd bought about 6 cars off them in 10 years and they do this!
lukeduke View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2006 at 23:02
i agree with kin!!! NCT rob your pockets, its ok and fair enough to make sure the cars are roadworthy but they do take the p1ss
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2006 at 22:20
I once had my XK in Jaguar Ireland before the NCT. Had a full service done and I told them to check for everything that the NCT will test. Went to do the NCT and it failed on "light intensity".

Went back to Jaguar Ireland to kick up a stink, to be fair to them their service was great, they brought me to the back to show me how it was all tested and all. Said there was really nothing wrong and it was something very odd to fail on. They said to put it back through the NCT and if it fails again they will replace the while headlight.

Brought it through the NCT again with no changes and guess what?! It passed. So it is not always the dealer at fault, the NCT is a big ripoff as well.
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2006 at 21:17
Never take a main dealers word...they only do half what they say. Use an independent...at least they do the work.
Richie

Valdas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2006 at 17:36

yeh, they going to check that now free, but the point is they are robbing people: charging for nothing and getting away with it. If there was no NCT due i would never knew about it.

Val.

lukeduke View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2006 at 17:36
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

A call to the service manager with a written follow up outlining your issue should sort things out.  Put a date in the letter that you want a reponse/resolution by.  If they haven't responded positively by that date, then a letter to BMW Irl Customer Services with a copy of your original letter to Conlons attached should make things happen.

I took this approach with my dealer when I had an issue following a service a couple of years ago.  As soon as the problem was pointed out to the service manager he arranged to take the car back and complete the work, including some additional parts that weren't on the original invoice, at no cost to me and gave me a loan car while the work was done.  No hassle or arguing about it.

The real test of a dealer is when things go wrong.  Conlon's have an opportunity to redeem themselves here in front of other customers and potential customers.  Give them the chance and if they don't take it then we can all draw our own conclusions about their approach to business.

WELL SAID.

Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2006 at 17:32

A call to the service manager with a written follow up outlining your issue should sort things out.  Put a date in the letter that you want a reponse/resolution by.  If they haven't responded positively by that date, then a letter to BMW Irl Customer Services with a copy of your original letter to Conlons attached should make things happen.

I took this approach with my dealer when I had an issue following a service a couple of years ago.  As soon as the problem was pointed out to the service manager he arranged to take the car back and complete the work, including some additional parts that weren't on the original invoice, at no cost to me and gave me a loan car while the work was done.  No hassle or arguing about it.

The real test of a dealer is when things go wrong.  Conlon's have an opportunity to redeem themselves here in front of other customers and potential customers.  Give them the chance and if they don't take it then we can all draw our own conclusions about their approach to business.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
lukeduke View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2006 at 17:26
Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

chancers alex or what... thats a good one!

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Have you contacted them about it and if so what did they say?
I had something similar with M&G for my last NCT after I asked them to align my newly installed angel eyes.
The day after aligning them, I did the NCT which duly failed and after some ranting in the NCT office, the manager asked me to drive the car around into the test bay to show me. They were well out!
M&Gs response was that they cannot guarantee to get through the test!

That happened to me. The lights were checked and adjusted a few days before the NCT but it failed the NCT on the lights. I rang the guy and he said  "the lights can be knocked out of alignment by a bump in the road, bring it in and we'll do it half price". I'd liked to have given him a 

Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic