Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI need your help!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need your help!!
    Posted: 01-July-2006 at 11:29
I am doing up an 1986 318i and I can't get it to start. I have it narrowed down to the ECU or the distributer unit. The only problem is mine is the rarer (and nicer!) chrome bumper model and any breakers or bmw crowd I rang don't have this model and say the facelifted E30 318i has different ECUs and distributer units. If anyone knows where I could get second hand ones I'd appreciate it. Cheers.

Edited by keithc
Sponsored Links

bucks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2006 at 00:10
One of the guys "Roundymooney" over on e30owners.com recently rebuilt a pre facelift 318i, im sure he has compiled a good few numbers of parts suppliers for that model.

chippedire.com View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chippedire.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2006 at 23:48
Originally posted by keithc keithc wrote:

I am doing up an 1986 318i and I can't get it to start. I have it narrowed down to the ECU or the distributer unit. The only problem is mine is the rarer (and nicer!) chrome bumper model and any breakers or bmw crowd I rang don't have this model and say the facelifted E30 318i has different ECUs and distributer units. If anyone knows where I could get second hand ones I'd appreciate it. Cheers.

Check the crank sensor .

if that doesnt work
Give me a call  and ill run through a few things with you .  ill show you how to test it . i doubt its the ecu  , but you cant rule it out either
Joe
525tds 180hp
Project E30 325i sport turbo conversion , nearly finished

www.chippedire.com
DimSport and OBDtuning
Remaping , Chipping with REAL TUV approval,
keithc View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2006 at 11:27
Thanks chippedire.com. It'll be at least saturday before I can get round to working on it again. I'll be in touch with you sometime!!
M3DAVE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3DAVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2006 at 23:44

Joe, what about the revcounter sensor/TDC sensor ?? REMEMBER ??

Dave

keithc View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2006 at 11:09
[/QUOTE]Check the crank sensor . if that doesnt work Give me a call  and ill run through a few things with you .  ill show you how to test it . i doubt its the ecu  , but you cant rule it out either[/QUOTE]

I should have listened to you at first!! I replaced the distributor, ecu, coil and leads and it still won't start. I rang John Murphy in Birr and he also said to try the crank sensor. Where exactly is this located? Thanks for any help.

Edited by keithc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic