Forum Locked*UPDATE* - Rough cold running on M3 E36

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: *UPDATE* - Rough cold running on M3 E36
    Posted: 22-August-2003 at 11:18

Hey Dudes,

I have only had my car for a few weeks now. I have a question about the cold running of my car.

The car starts fine and ticks over okay, when I drive off it seems to be really sluggish. If you push the accelerator too much is starts to splutter and pop a bit as if it is missing. If you back off from the throttle it sorts itself out. (I am going real slow at this point)

Once the temp guage is past the quarter mark it runs fine. Is this normal?? bot worried when the winter comes round that it could get a lot worse!! any ideas.

Edited by MONO
Sponsored Links

mansfa View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2003 at 11:38
Maybe the (a) coil(s) are shot?

Had a similar problem on a E36 325i, coils are £150 odd each? Cant remember exactly, was a while ago...
autofix View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2003 at 00:36

Hi,

Sounds like CTS (coolant temp seneor). If the CTS or its circuit fails then the ECU will not know that the engine is cold. The ECU defaults to a hot running fuel control map and so it will run poor at lower temps but well at normal temp.

It would be worth your while fitting a CTS first as they are cheap.

Alan.

M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2003 at 10:00
Mine does this, and have been told it's a common trait? It's been back to the dealer a few times for this, but it still does it, a real pain on roundabouts or junctions where you need smooth power input, not a falt spot.
we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2003 at 23:10

Hey dudes,

Thanks for the input, I have noticed the previous owner has a reciept for a coolant sensor! wondered if he fitted it??

Yeah, I have been told it is common. I was wondering about changing the plugs for a hotter plug?? wonder if that would make any difference. Anyone else tried this??

With mine you have to drive like a granny for the first half mile or so and get the gear changes/ revs just right otherwise it starts coughing and spluttering! It's really annoying as I have a massive hill outside where I work. It's can be a real struggle!

It would be great to find someone who has sorted this problem! there mst be someone with a 3.0L that has sorted it surely..... Oh yeah why havent BMW sorted the problem!?

MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2003 at 13:07

Hey Dudes,

Gutted!!!

My thread has gone back to the start!! cos of them damn hackers!!

Anyways, it was going good to see all the E36 3.0L boys on here!! John, started a rollcall but we were all cut off!!

I am taking my car into the local stealer for an inspection 1 service, I am gonna get them to look at the cold running probs. It goes in on the 6th October so I will let you know the results, feck all no doubt!

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2003 at 18:42
Things definately getting weirder; just finished the tank of fuel with D-Tox in it, cleaned the k&n panel filter and readjusted the supersprint-disconnected the battery for 3 hrs, wired back up and started the car, no indication of cold hesitancy!!!

Might be coincidence.

Also, I was at the new 5 series launch talking to a BM techie who said the M3s were prone to wear in the 2ndry air pumps-these kick in just as the choke comes off and circulates warm exhaust air round the engine bay to quickly heat the engine up-if its worn then it doesnt work and for a while the choke is off and the engine isnt properly up to temp. What do you reckon?

John
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2003 at 19:16

Dude,

Mine seems to be gettin worse now the cold weather is here in the mornings.

At the service they are inspecting the valves so I can rule that out if it is the same when I get it back. It seems like the cold running circuit to me. It feels like the car has no choke.(I no fuel injection doesnt have choke it just richens the mixture to start with) When I start it first thing it goes up to 1250rpm then drops down around the normal tickover. When I drive it then pull up a junction when cold the tickover drops down to about 700rpm and hunts, sounds like it drops a cylinder then comes back on. it keeps doing this until I pull away. It only does that when it was real cold out 4c in the morning.

I dunno if you have ever driven a car that has had a manual choke back in the days?? it's the same as that you know when you run it without enough choke it starts to die and kangeroo's thats what mine is like. It does it if you go above 2,000rpm then dies then kicks back in. definately aint right in my opinion. When the coolant temp guage gets near the middle of the range it sorts itself out.

I dont think it is the pumps on mine cos it doesnt feel like it runs with choke at all.

It is starting to get on my t*ts now!

LiamH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2003 at 12:29
Hey Mono,

I have the E36 Evo but it does have as similar problem to your car. It is very lumpy (feels like not running on all 6 cyls until it is warm), but only between idle and 2,000 rpm. So to get round the problem until it is warm I just stay I just keep the revs between 2000 to 2500.
It is annoying in heavy trafic though, but I suppose I have got use to it.

I have spoke to lots of people about this and the general consent is (as has been said)that it is either a temp sensor or the secondary air pumps.

I am a couple of green lights away from a service, and still have the BM warranty. I am planning to get them to sort it out at service time and will ley to you know how I get on.

MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2003 at 12:45

Nice one Liam,

Mine goes in on Monday so I will see what the BM stealer says. Keep us informed dude.

MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2003 at 17:59

Hey Dudes,

I have just dropped my car off at the stealers tonight, it is havin an inspection 1 service. I have asked them to check out the cold running problems to

I will let you know what the outcome is!! fingers crossed!

MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2003 at 22:09

Dudes,

I got my car back from the service, they couldnt pin point the problem. When they ran the codes off of the DME or whatever it had 2 fault codes for the oxygen sensors. They wiped the codes and tried running it a few times with no errors!!?? I wonder if the errors occured when the cat sh*t itself?? Any ideas??

I dont really fancy buying 2 new oxygen sensors as they are around £180 for the pair and if it dont make any difference then it's money down the drain, yet again!!

I havent driven it from cold yet so I am not sure if it is any different with new plugs, correct valve clearances.

I will let you know how it runs tomorrow

MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2003 at 08:40

It's the same!!!

Now what???? anyone got any advise??

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2003 at 11:02
Mono

Use a tin of D-tox. I reckon that'll clear it a bit then the rest is down to the cars set-up.

John

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2003 at 11:37

Hey John,

I tried that a few months ago, it hasnt changed mine. My car has a fault but it's one of those annoying problems that might never be solved. I dont really want to throw money at it if it isnt gonna cure the problem. I wonder if it would be worth gettin these oxygen sensors from a breakers??

The BMW stealer couldnt guarantee me that that this is the fault!! As it didnt happen after they reset the codes!

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2003 at 12:25
I'd check Euro car parts or German & Swedish for a price and get 'em changed or get a dealer to say if it isnt fixed by new sensors then they'll refund!!!!!!!

MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2003 at 12:31

What do reckon the chances of that!!

I had some advice off someone saying that if there is a problem elsewhere then it will trigger a fault at the O2 sensors if it aint running right so it might not necessarily be this!!

Feckin car!

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
(Former) Scottish Region Wean

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2003 at 00:44

Pardon my ignorance folks,

Sorry to be hearing about your cold running problems Mono, hope you source the problem soon!

But whats this D-Tox everyone keeps mentioning? Is it some kind of fuel additive and does it make much of a difference? If so, where can I? get my hands on some? Thanks in advance!

My Car

2004 M3 CSL and 2009 E90 M3
MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2003 at 15:50

Hey Dude,

You can get Comma D-Tox from Halfrauds, it's £15, you put it in a full tank and just drive as normal. It is recommended by BMW.

I put it in mine and it didnt make any difference, but mine is running sh*t anyways. I am gonna book it in to get the oil leak sorted and new oxygen sensors. I am hoping it waill sort it. Apparently O2 sensors are only good for around 60-90K, mine has done 71K now.

I was chattin to my mate who is a ferraro mechanic and he says that ferraris blow them every 10-15K and they can cause loads of problems!!!

sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
(Former) Scottish Region Wean

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2003 at 15:54

Cheers mono,

I'll give that a go, and see if it makes any difference to mine. Will get back to you.

My Car

2004 M3 CSL and 2009 E90 M3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic