Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vanos Mechanical Jamming
    Posted: 13-June-2006 at 14:25

Could use some advice for this one.

Following a diagnostics read out for my M52 328i, one error code is displayed:

212 Vanos (Bank1)

Mechanical Jamming.

I have changed the Vanos solenoid and spring for a new one which has not cured the problem!

Have to say I do feel the car is slightly underpowered considering its a 2.8..sometimes its like a rocket whilst other times it seems to lack the edge...pretty sure its related to the above..engine makes no strange noises just feels as though sometimes it is holding back..all revs and no trousers..

Has anyone experienced this issue? Perhaps you know of a method to investigate?

Cheers

Sponsored Links

pm9575 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2006 at 17:04

Me thinks a complete single vanos (albeit reconditioned) is on the cards me ol mukka. That code suggests you have a one bank of valves not behaving themselves as the Vanos is not freely operating.

I believe they are what £150 odd nowadays? Could be wrong. And that would explain the get up n go, or not, as the case maybe.

Performance ECU Tuning Without a Performance www.reloadmapping.co.uk
BenBMW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2006 at 17:13

Thanks PM, have you experienced this issue yourself or perhaps you know of someone who has?

Would you know where I can source a reconditioned unit? Perhaps there is an outfit which would recondition mine as I could use the train in the mean time?

I am assuming that Car Soft diagnostics are accurate and should be taken on board when flagged?

Cheers

pm9575 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2006 at 17:23
On something like that a Vanos timing unit - yes, Car soft are one of the better ones to have. Any indy or even a breakers could supply a replacement Vanos, but at least if reconditioned you stand a chance of tackling the obvious symptoms first. If the problem re-occurs then providing you have good/ consistant compression from each cylinder - then it could suggest air intake issues (ie: MAF).

Performance ECU Tuning Without a Performance www.reloadmapping.co.uk
BOYBIMMERM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2006 at 18:59
The first thing to do if the mechanical jamming fault is stored is to have the valve timing checked and make sure the vanos is assembled back correctly. The camshaft sprockets have elongated bolt holes where they mount and the position of these are critical when rebuilding. The vanos will not have its full travel if this is wrong and will lose power and store a fault.
autofix View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2006 at 09:01

Hi,

There are a few things that could help you here.

First thing here is the fault code descriptions in carsoft are not always good. If you can post the code number along with the car details (last 7 digits of vin) I will give you a detailed description.

Vanos units can jam mechanically and this could well be your problem. Do you know of any recent history, eg head work?

The vanos is actuated by a solenoid which simply opens a valve to allow oil pressure act on the vanos unit. It is possible to get bits of carbon blocking this. The method to test this is to replace the oil feed with an air feed and measure the movement of the vanos unit.

If the code you have is correct then this is generated because the ECU has commanded the vanos and so expects to see the Cam position change, but it does not, or does not change the correct amount. It measures this by looking at the Cam and Crank positions as reported by the cam and Crank sensors. With the right scantool connected it is possible to watch the reported Cam position when it plays up compared to when it is ok.

A code for this fault will not be generated by an airmass or compression problem as these do not effect cam position.

The best course of action here is to note the code, clear it, drive until the fault occurs, check live data when it is happening, and check that the same code reoccurs. If it is the same code then check the actual vanos unit.

HTH

Alan

BenBMW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2006 at 10:47

Thanks for this.

I will provide the code number presented through CarSoft - do not have the details to hand currently.

From the vehicle history, I am aware that the bottom end was replaced by BMW at around 50k other than that no sign of Vanos work.

I can confirm that I have cleared the ECU quite a few times (after driving) but the same code reappears.

I will try to undertake the compressed air check as I had already changed the solenoid, piston and spring which didn't work..

328i View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2006 at 15:34
Your symptoms & description of cars performance sound worryingly like mine. Have been un impressed with my cars performance after the novelty of first week or so wore off & have had it nearly two years. But then in its defence it does suprise me at times. I had it checked a couple of times when I first got it by a very good indy place who assured me its was fine & that they agreed with my theory that I expected too much from it. Are there any tell take signs to look out for? Mine seems fine & sounds as normal but noticed other day it had used oil for the first time since I've had it.
2001 540i Sport, Silver, Black Leather
BenBMW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2006 at 15:43

328i, off the topic but that does sounds quite like the infamous nicasil lined cylinder bore issue apparent with M52 engines prior to 1998.

Perhaps a compression check would be beneficial?

The issue normally resulted in loss of power and unexplainable oil consumption.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic