FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPrivate plate question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Private plate question
    Posted: 11-June-2006 at 07:36

I'm getting home soon after a couple of months abroad. Car was garaged and sorned. Before I left I got myself a new plate but I haven't put it on yet. I've got the plates and paperwork ready but now have the dilemma, Insure and tax the car first then go through the hassle of changing the docs after or wait the extra time to get the V5 cahnaged.

My question is how long will it take at the DVLA office. My car at my Parents house nowhere near a DVLA office but I am having an overnight stay in Glasgow where I'll have time to get to the DVLA. Will the change take place there and then allowing me to have the insurance arranged for the new plate.

OR is there some kind of certificate allowing not to change the insurance. I've bought other cars which had receipts of plate chages. Is that enough for you insurer to keep you insured or get through a police document inspection. i.e. the insurance cert says Y$$$ GGG but the car has M3 XXX, here is my cert to say this car used to have reg Y$$$ GGG, if you understand what I mean

Silverstone Blue 2006 E60 M5, 1999 Caterham Superlight R, 204bhp!
Sponsored Links

Del64 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Double 6 driver

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2006 at 09:34
Yip, If you physically take all documentation in they will switch over and reissue all in one.
2009 520d SE Business Edition

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
geriv View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
^^^ what’s going on???!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2006 at 09:36

finnie don't know about Glasgow dvla but i've done 2 recently over at edinburgh.

Just seems to be pot luck depending on how busy they are - first one they were really busy (end of month!) so took all the docs and sent out about a weekish later.

Second one,  nice and quiet, they got me to run out and get my tax disc and gave me new tax disc and mot there and then - so could get plate straight onto car  still waiting on v5 a month later tho!

Insurance is not a problem either way, just give em a call with new reg no. mine didn't even charge for the change.

Dunno if it'll be different tho if you've gotta tax the car as well when you're there - i'd give em a call.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic