FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedZM Coupe - Autocar Article

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZM Coupe - Autocar Article
    Posted: 31-May-2006 at 04:11
Anyone else read this article. basically looks like they have tried to make a more track orientated car, but it weighs 1500+kg........and needless to say still has the stock chocolate brakes that every M power car is supplied with. One of the criticisms is that the ride is poor, well it's not surprising is it with a ton of cast iron sitting at the end of the strut leg. For Porsche and just about every other manufacturer the penny has dropped, reduce the unsprung weight and the ride improves....what is it with BMW.....am I missing something, is a rubbish ride a requirement for it to appear hardcore...???
Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 04:28
Roops,

it's all about the looks. Most of the time this cars are sold to posers (no offence against the serious enthousiasts!) which prefer to announce the power figure in a pub garden rather than using the the car on a track.So why bother with the "details" if the car sells in the numbers required?

(apart from the brakes, I quite like the car)
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 04:48
Me too Uwe. I quite like it, but with the weight and rubbish componentry it just doesn't appeal. The interesting thing is that the guy who ran the project appears to have wanted to make a real car....from what the article says......
Jules75 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2006 at 04:50

C'mon, you guys should know better than to trust journos!

I have the Z4 M Roadster, and the brakes are from the M3 CSL I believe - still not up too much though.  I've had the car on the track at Knockhill and it performs a lot better than my previous Z4 3.0.  The ride and handling are superior.

Did you guys see the roaster on TopGear the other night?  Wow.  What a lap time!  Don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to see what the coupe can do. 

grahame34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2006 at 06:50

I have to say I like the Z4M alot and the coupe even more. I read the Autocar article in which the tester was generaly very impressed although he said that they could have made it even harder. One thing I would say is that one tester may want it to be firmer and sharper and another might say its too hard for the road and want a little softer - there is a balance to be had and you can't suit all of the people all of the time. Anyway if you want a fast track car go get one -  like a Sport Ka (Sorry chaps couldn't resist).

Jules I did watch the Hammster test the Z4M, another victory the M division yehaa - Another thing,  when he says you've got to be aggressive with it and then goes on to pull and excessivly long power slide I think what a load of crap. Yes sex sells and its good to see a power slide now and again, but what about those black things that cars spend 99% of their time on i.e ROADS. I want to know what its like on roads not just the track. If topgear is out there please please test the coupe on some roads as well.

08 e60 Alpina B5 S sold, please forgive me
03 e39 M5 sold
98 e38 728 Sport Individual dead
93 e34 M5 sold
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic