Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > South Eastern Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockednewbie would like advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie would like advice
    Posted: 09-August-2003 at 20:22

Hi

I an currently awaiting a yes or no from a finance company, if it goes ahead I will become the proud owner of a BMW 318iS with 25000 miles on the clock, this car is TOTALLY immaculate.

The price on it is just £11.995

I know it has the Mtech suspension already as standard and is an Automatic.

I test drove this car earlier today and I was seriously impressed by it, my current car / wreck, is a Astra GTE which I will be getting rid of quick as poss if I get my new car.

What should I know about this car?

This is my first BMW and im looking forward to many years of ownership. I dont plan to modify it just to keep it as nice as possible.

Sponsored Links

Iain H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2003 at 08:47
Lets hope they say yes to you
Simply keep it regularly serviced, properly cleaned and join the club and attend some meets and talk to like minded people - you will pick up all the tips you need by doing that. You dont say what age the car is but with those low miles you should'nt encounter many problems. If you do you will find a lot of advice available through this forum.
Good luck and enjoy your Beema !!

Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
Mav View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2003 at 08:52

Thanks for that,

A little more detail about the car.

Its a 1999 T reg, 2 door coupe, it was taken in PX from a lady who bought a Cabrio, According to the sales rep at Cooper BMW in Reading where I am getting the car from they never have anything less than 22k on the forecourt but this car is so clean that they decided to keep it and sell it themselves rather than send it to auction.
Its had 2 owners from new but has been seriously well kept.
Its Titanium silver (my favourite colour on BMW's, anthracite cloth, aircon and comes with full cd preparation?

If I do get it I would very much like to attend a meeting to meet other BMW owners, I am in Reading just off Junction 12 of the M4 so what region would I come under?

Edited by Mav
Mark R View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Wimborne, Dorset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2003 at 10:19
Welcome Mav,

You will come under the 'Wessex' Region, see top right corner of this page and click on Regions for more info, or follow the link Wessex Region

Look forward to meeting you sometime in the future.
P.s Also in Wessex region, Wimborne, Dorset
Mark Roberts
E30 318iS

Wessex Region Secretary
E30 Registrar & committee member

Someone left a note on my windscreen. It read 'Parking Fine' that was nice
Iain H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2003 at 10:23
Originally posted by Mav Mav wrote:

Thanks for that,

A little more detail about the car.

Its a 1999 T reg, 2 door coupe, it was taken in PX from a lady who bought a Cabrio, According to the sales rep at Cooper BMW in Reading where I am getting the car from they never have anything less than 22k on the forecourt but this car is so clean that they decided to keep it and sell it themselves rather than send it to auction.
Its had 2 owners from new but has been seriously well kept.
Its Titanium silver (my favourite colour on BMW's, anthracite cloth, aircon and comes with full cd preparation?

If I do get it I would very much like to attend a meeting to meet other BMW owners, I am in Reading just off Junction 12 of the M4 so what region would I come under?

Mav
I am down in the Fleet area not far from you at all. I attend both the Wessex and South East region meets at various times, all a good bunch. Why not check out the Southern Coupe meet which is held at New Inn pub at Heckfield (just down the road from Reading). It is held on the last Sunday of each month. Dont get put off by the title, all sorts of Beemas go, a friendly bunch and a cracking pub. Maybe see you there on the 31st August ???

Edited by Iain H
Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
Mav View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2003 at 10:38

Thanks Iain I may well do that.

So, can anyone tell me a little obout my prospective new car? are they are rated good BMW? I know its not an M3 and am under no illusions even though the car has an M symbol on the steering wheel and its a lowly 318, BUT, I didnt want to go for a high powered one to start with, I wanted a smaller engined one to put my foot in the door as it were (also no way I could afford a bigger engined one at the moment I think)

I have to say on the test drive I was very impressed, the car felt extremely solid and sure footed and in sports mode does have a very reasonable grunt to it. Im really on tenderhooks at the moment, glad I only have to wait until tomorrow (monday) for an answer.

Mav View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2003 at 22:44

NUTS!!

Finance has been declined and I cant raise the cash any other way, even egg.com refused me.

Ah well maybe next time guys.

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2003 at 23:19
Mav

If you dont mind owning an older BMW there are some great cars out there. My present one is a late E redgistered 525i SE auto.
It cost £400, a bit tatty, and will have cost me a total of approx £1500 when it is completed, should be next month, and yes it is old, but it will be immaculate.

Some of the chaps on here have E30 3 series cars, which look lovely, and by the reports drive very well.

I have also seen the little ones, cut off 3 series types for seriously little money, have a look on e-bay.

You dont need to spend a lot of money to drive a nice BMW, great if you can afford it, but if not why not think about an older one?

The private plate I have on mine only cost £400, which is my initials, bought from the dvla.

My original manual 525i has shown a clean pair of tail lights to astra gte's when I've felt the need for speed.

So bad luck on the finance, but dont be too disheartened, if you want an older 3 series I'm sure the chaps on here will help you out.
Best Wishes

Nigel

emcf View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2003 at 14:06

mav,

don't give up just yet - i recently bought myself an e30 325i ('89).  its getting on a bit now (114k miles) but it drives like a dream and still leaves the boy racer cars eating its dust.  I plan to slowly upgrade over the next few years to get a newer model 3 series.  for this one i shelled out about £1,300 and it had FSH.  I only wish i could have found a manual one but there does seem to be a few decent auto e30s available in the papers.

MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2003 at 14:36

Hey Iain H,

I live down in sunny Wokingham, also a newby on the scene. I might tag along to that meet at the end of the month. Not far from where I live.

Might see you there mate 

Mav View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2003 at 17:15
Pointless me going without a beemer init?
Mav View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2003 at 23:58

Im a bit worrieed about buying an older BMW but if thats the way its gotta be then so be it.

However if anyone can help I would be extremely gratefull, as I know nothing about these cars im a prime target for getting ripped off and ending up with a "pileopoo"

It looks like the Astra is near enough sold so its time to start looking.

At the moment all im gonna have in cash is a grand and im afraid i may not be able to get what im looking for.

To give you some idea of what I would like

1) Must be 2 door
2) MINIMUM 2.0 (would prefer a 2.5 if poss)
3) Minor dodywork I dont mind but nothing heavy but the mechanicals must be A1
No Red ones please (no offence to owners of red BMW's its a personal thing, my astra is red and a nitemare to keep the paint up)

Am I asking the impossible?

Please help me, I need my BMW.

Iain H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2003 at 00:08
Originally posted by MONO MONO wrote:

Hey Iain H,

I live down in sunny Wokingham, also a newby on the scene. I might tag along to that meet at the end of the month. Not far from where I live.

Might see you there mate 

Mono
Come on down mate, its very laidback, big carpark, friendly faces and great pub grub. Think Total BMW magazine there as well.
Iain
Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
Iain H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2003 at 00:12
Mav said.....

However if anyone can help I would be extremely gratefull, as I know nothing about these cars im a prime target for getting ripped off and ending up with a "pileopoo"

mAV,
Post up some wanted ads on the BMWCC classifieds, also post up on www.bmwcarmagazine.com/forum/ and www.bmwland.co.uk forum site. What area are u in mate, I ask because if you are totally unsure why not post a message asking for someone in your area with experience of this type of car to go along with you ??? Might see you at Heckfield, there is a wealth of knowledge there and the guys are laid back and would be glad to advise you. Might be worth the trip????

Edited by Iain H
Hartge H27 Convertible
My Link
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2003 at 00:38
Mav

As well as doing what the others have suggested, just take a look at e-bay.
I would suggest you dont bid until you have some more idea of what your looking at, but it will give you an idea of what you can get.

I have seen different makes at club meets, so dont worry about that.

Go along, any help is better than none.

Also have a look at the 316, and 318 models.
Not quite so desirable, so a bit cheaper, maybe a bit less likely to have been thrashed, and the 318 especially is frequently being compared very very favourably to the six cylinder 320.

You can always "debadge" it, I wouldnt bother, its still a bm, but once debadged, unless your a real anorack, there is a certain amount of anonimty to what engine it has.
Best Wishes

Nigel

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2003 at 23:16
Mav
The e30 318is is also worth consdiering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic