Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede24 newbie:635 m30 and 170K?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: e24 newbie:635 m30 and 170K?
    Posted: 01-April-2006 at 09:08
guys,
im e30 m3 through and through, but am viewing a late 635 on 170K tomorrow. it has full history and all the right bits, but the engine in miley. what are these late m30's like with this mileage? what should i be looking for? apparently it consumes no oil or water at all, neither does it smoke.

what about sixes on that mileage? have they got any life left? what should i look for? i am prepared to make my car mint and have already spoke to my painter about stripping the body and repainting the lot. daimond schwarz aswell.

any advice much appreciated!
Sponsored Links

phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 09:31

Why not spend the extra on a lower milage car in the begining, rather that make a higher miler mint?

Obviously the engine has done 170K, but so has the rest of the car. That said, I have seen cars around with 230K + and still going.

Is it auto? if so that could be pretty worn, but not necessarily. It all depends on how the car has been cared for, maintained and driven.

Have a good poke underneath though, both for signes of oil leaks on the mechanicals, and corrosion on the bodywork (sills, fron wings, rear arches).

1985 635 CSI with Style 134's
1998 Z3 2.8i
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 10:04
It's not the mileage but the condition that's important.

A new engine is around £2500 from BMW if the rest of the car's worth it.

Worn suspension will make the car feel very baggy too.

Take what you know about E30's & it applies to E24's too but costs more.

You don't say how much the car is but if it's some £1500 shed that "just needs tidying" I can tell you now, it'll need more than a coat of paint!

Parts can be expensive - wings are £520 each. There isn't much point trying to restore a six when much better ones are around for little more.  Spending another £1000+ on top of what you've paid for the car is false economy.

I agree with Ben. There are plenty of good cars out there which would make a better buy.

A good Six is a joy, a bad one is heartbreak.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

rezaq View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 11:27
guys

forgot to mention that she is a late highline without any chrome and full history mainly from munich legends. it has also just had 3500 spent on it from them and the front seats retrimmed by rolls royce, so clearly she is loved! also comes with genuine 17" alpinas from that era with a £2k bmw receipt for them to prove! just passed munich mot aswell, and had a complete genuine bmw exhaust fitted!

vehicle is circa 2500 and has never been welded. the interior looks brand new.

this is why i dont mind restoring the car as it seems such a nice base to begin with.

my bmw mechanic also knows these inside out and is ready for a complete inspection 2 to see what she may need.

what are these like as daily drivers? where can i take her for a complete underbody and sill waxoyl/stone chip application?

many thanks.

p.s - i restored my 325 sport (circa 9K) and my e30 m3 (circa 12K) so am quite used to getting stuck in!!

Edited by rezaq
rezaq View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 11:44
guys,

just realised its in the for sale section of this website. its been advertised since 1st march, so im very surprised that it hasnt sold yet.

has anyone seen this car? anyone been to view it?

i am concerned now - or maybe they just dont sell, regardless of the price?

please get back to me as im viewing tomorrow.

thanks
mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 12:04

I bought my Highline for £3K about two months ago, and although that's not long, am chuffed to bits with it so far. It's done 149K miles but has a very comprehensive history which shows it's had a lot of money spent on it when it's needed it. I am using it as a daily driver and it still turns heads and gets thumbs up at 8am on my way into work!  In fact knowing I have a half hour drive in my 6 to and from work makes the rest of the day bearable!! I know it's going to cost me money and so have got some saved for the inevitable, but I preventative maintenance is the key so am doing this bit by bit. Only time will tell if my £3k was money well spent but I suspect it will be the tip of the iceberg!!

Anyway I say go for it!!

rezaq View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 12:12
really? and its still ok? any rust on it? has it ever been welded? i dont really want to get involved in welding projects!

how is the power? whats the performance like?

anyone been to see this particular car?
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 12:14
There are two for sale @ £2500 by the same guy.

Take your mechanic along if you can. It's easy to get swayed by over-enthusiasm with these cars. It seems awfully cheap if it's as good as you say. It's easy to spend double your purchase price on fixing this & that. My own Six had £3000 of work done by ML when I bought it & it was 4x the price so beware.

Give ML a call. Barney should be able to give you an idea about the car.

As far as a daily driver - no problem. Used mine for over a year before I got too precious about leaving it where numptys could bang their doors on it etc. & got the Touring for daily use. You might find you do the same

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

rezaq View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 12:36
yeah i had noticed! surely something described as beautiful condition by a fellow enthusiast cant be that bad can it?

just tried ml but they are shut - why i didnt think of doing that earlier is beyond me. anyone got barnys mobile number????

cant take mechanic - he wont go that far! im pretty hot with cars so i should be ok - main place of concern for me is making sure the sills are rock solid - any minor cosmetic stuff will be sorted with the respray anyhow...

anyone got a set of front wings for sale just in case????

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 15:48

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

There are two for sale @ £2500 by the same guy.

This is one of them, I presume:

Long-term readers of "BMW Car" magazine may recall an E24 feature article published in about 2000 entitled (I think) "Six Appeal". E690 BFG, the car in the above pic, is the same one which was used for most of the photos in the feature. At the time of publication, one of its front wings was quite rusty, and this was shown in the article!!

So I suppose it has some quasi-historic interest. It was on the same genuine Alpinas, too.

One other thing, before I forget. The E-prefix plate suggests it may be one of the last chrome-bumpered E24s to be sold or registered in the UK before the production changeover to the "Highline" model.

Edited by Horsetan

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2006 at 13:14

IIRC this car is advertised somewhere as a '1988' car. This is highly unlikely (although it may have been late registered)- they changed from chrome bumper to the highline spec in the middle of 1987 production.

On the plus side this car will have less weight to lug about (highlines are heavier) and yet will have the improved brake master cylinder of the highline model.

On the minus side it probably won't have the mappable ECU of the highline, or be worth quite as much (for some reason no-one knows...).

I have a 1987 635 and it is rather nice. If you want one to drive this one could be quite good. You could spend a lot more on a low mileage one and then worry about actually using it....

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2006 at 13:38

Originally posted by Brucey Brucey wrote:

.... they changed from chrome bumper to the highline spec in the middle of 1987 production.

September.

Quote ...On the minus side it probably won't...be worth quite as much (for some reason no-one knows...)....

Might have something to do with an article written by a certain Mr. Everett....

phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2006 at 13:51

I can understand why the Highlines are more valuable, since they are fully loaded. What I cant understand is why an M635 Highline is more valuable than a chrome bumper M635, unles I am wrong; to be honest I havnt seen a chrome bumper M635 for ages now - all seem to the the Highlines. I saw an Alpine white '86 M635 a few years back that looked the absolute business.

Its going to be personal taste at the end of the day, but I think the chrome looks great on the 6.

Edited by phb10186

1998 Z3 2.8i
mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2006 at 15:49

Rezaq, mine has never been welded and the sills/wings are solid. There is a minor spot of rust on front wheelarch (stoneship though, not the usual front wing place) and one of the rear arches. Also make sure you check the area around the rear number plate lights as I overlooked this and found some rust the other day . Apparently I am the first of it's previous owners not to garage it every night so will keep a close eye on the rust situation and do the minor bits this summer.

Regarding power and performance, it is an auto Highline which I believe is a second or so slower to 60 than the earlier models, however it pulls very strongly and feels quicker than any of the earlier models I test drove. It is quickish around town but it really comes into it's own in sports mode on a nice wide country road - perfect for blasting past other sunday motorists . Handling was a pleasant suprise the car feels well balanced with not too much body roll, coming from a mini though I now have to be mindful about when I stamp on the accelerator when cornering!!

There are other niggles such as the rear leather is a bit cracked, it has a couple of minor dings in the front and rear bumpers, headlamp wash/wipe seized (this always happens apparently), elec headrests not working (ditto), and a few other bits, however I can live with this minor stuff and sort it gradually. Oh, and as Andy S said, some numpty has already opened their door on it.. lucky for them I wasn't there to see it !!

There are a couple of photos here if your interested, I keep meaning to take some decent shots, will post them up when i finally get round to it!

http://photos.yahoo.com/mjf297

Cheers, good luck

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2006 at 16:25

Originally posted by mjf297 mjf297 wrote:

....I keep meaning to take some decent shots, will post them up when i finally get round to it!...

Let me save you the trouble....

phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2006 at 16:26

Is the actual leather used on the highlines different to the earlier 6's? I have seen a number of highlines with leather in really bad condition, and when I look at the rear seats, which are identical to the rest of the range, the leather looks different somehow.

My 6 is fitted with black comfort seats, and the leather is in great nick, has no wear at all, not even on the drivers seat where you rub as you enter. I clean and feed the hyde every 6 months to a year just to keep it supple.

1998 Z3 2.8i
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2006 at 16:28
Originally posted by phb10186 phb10186 wrote:

Is the actual leather used on the highlines different to the earlier 6's? ...

Yes - there's more of it!!

Quote .....I clean and feed the hide every 6 months to a year just to keep it supple.

And now you have a tub of Connolly Hide Food, courtesy of Coleman Croft, the Master Saddlers near Hatfield

BTW, like the new sig pic of the Bedford CF.... LMAO

Edited by Horsetan

phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2006 at 16:43

Yeah I reluctantly put it up there, I did'nt want everyone to know what a chav I really am!

BTW, if anyone knows a historic Bedofrd van collector who is willing to give me top dollar for that CF2, or if you want a petrol van that does 10MPG please PM me!

On the plus side its got absolutely zero rust, and 22k on the clock. AND its got a double garage door on the roof to protect it from harmfull UVB radiation, so the paint's great too. There you go Ivan, I have confessed my sins to the world!

Edited by phb10186

1998 Z3 2.8i
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2006 at 17:11
Originally posted by phb10186 phb10186 wrote:

.....BTW, if anyone knows a historic Bedford van collector who is willing to give me top dollar for that CF2, or if you want a petrol van that does 10MPG please PM me!

Look no further than HERE!!!!!

and HERE!!

Edited by Horsetan

phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2006 at 18:32
There's a forum for everything these days!

1998 Z3 2.8i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic