FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE24 Rear Camber Adjustment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ian M635UK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E24 Rear Camber Adjustment.
    Posted: 11-April-2006 at 05:48
Originally posted by twincamsham twincamsham wrote:

Sounds like a bit of a project Ian the time involved worries me!

I understand now how they work,Do you elongate the existing inner and outer hanger holes or just the outers?,

If you were just pulling out the bush and refitting eccentric bush,s such as k-macs do you think you would get away with leaving most stuff still in there and just pivoting the front of the trailing arm down to aid fitment? The front should just hang down allowing you to use the pulling tool to remove and re-fit or did you have problems withdrawing the bolts from the bushes..

I may consider just eccentric bushs,a- Because  i will have little need for adjustment, when dropped 60mm i would imagine i will use the max positive camber they can offer to counter all that negative, and b)-Time is of the essence for me i would need to get it back on the road inside a day preferably as i only get flown home for a weeks hol every 6 weeks

Elongate the outers horizontally to allow toe adjustment, elongate the inners vertically to allow camber adjustment.

To be honest the camber adjust I will have will be minimal.  Maybe 5mm up and down movement of the inner bush location.  Mind you I have dinan suspension which is only lowered about 20mm.  60mm is alot to compensate for on the camber.

Removing the bushes is an absolute pain.  I had to remove the trailing arm from the car to do it.  You may get away with dangling the trailing arm down from the axle carrier and using the special tool.

Good luck

Sponsored Links

twincamsham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2006 at 19:47

Sounds like a bit of a project Ian the time involved worries me!

I understand now how they work,Do you elongate the existing inner and outer hanger holes or just the outers?,

If you were just pulling out the bush and refitting eccentric bush,s such as k-macs do you think you would get away with leaving most stuff still in there and just pivoting the front of the trailing arm down to aid fitment? The front should just hang down allowing you to use the pulling tool to remove and re-fit or did you have problems withdrawing the bolts from the bushes..

I may consider just eccentric bushs,a- Because  i will have little need for adjustment, when dropped 60mm i would imagine i will use the max positive camber they can offer to counter all that negative, and b)-Time is of the essence for me i would need to get it back on the road inside a day preferably as i only get flown home for a weeks hol every 6 weeks

Buckfast Tonic Wine-
Now available Australia Wide.
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2006 at 07:53

Yep found them now i was looking for something for e24 rather than e30,

Was there much to fitting these?, Il prob invest in some if yours work out sucessful. Is there a decent fitting guide to aid setup ect,

Cheers ian

Took me 3 hrs hard labour yesterday to remove the rear axle carrier.  You have to drop the exhaust, drop the diff, disconnect drive shafts at diff, disconnect trailing arms from axle carrier then lower the axle carrier.  A bit fiddly but everything came off OK for me.

Then it's a case of kit to the removed axle carrier.  Carefully aligning everything and then welding the plates on.  Then elongate the holes in the carrier to match the plates and you are ready for refit!.

Not for the faint hearted.  I'll post full write up when complete.

Ian

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2006 at 22:40

Yep found them now i was looking for something for e24 rather than e30,

Was there much to fitting these?, Il prob invest in some if yours work out sucessful. Is there a decent fitting guide to aid setup ect,

Cheers ian

Buckfast Tonic Wine-
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2006 at 08:48

Excuse me for being stupid but i cant find a description anywere for these Bushes on the Ireland engineering site..

Iv found a company in Auz that has eccentric bushes listed for an e30 only? confused again i was under the impression these were completely different.

What are they described as on this site please,

Rory

Go to irleand engineering website.  Then e30 then suspension then to bottom of page 2.  There you will find camber and toe adjustable kits.

They are not bushes but plates that you weld on to the rear axle carrier.  Just recieved mine and just removed axle carrier today for welding next weekend and refit.

Ian

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2006 at 08:00

Excuse me for being stupid but i cant find a description anywere for these Bushes on the Ireland engineering site..

Iv found a company in Auz that has eccentric bushes listed for an e30 only? confused again i was under the impression these were completely different.

What are they described as on this site please,

Rory

Buckfast Tonic Wine-
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2006 at 10:38

Thanks for the help fellas,

what sort of camber does the fixed o/e BMW kit bring back, eg will it cancel out the effects of a 40/50mm  drop? what does it retail at.

Has anyone experience with the bexley or Ireland kits.

Just found 2.5/3" drop eibach springs in the us so a camber kit will be a must for me.

Regards

Rory

BM bush is just an eccentric bush.  Will not give much change and is not adjustable when fitted.  Best go for the ireland engineering adjustable kit.  You can see from the link above that you can get a fair amount of adjustment from the slotted channels.  The K macs are a nightmare to adjust apparently as you make a slight change to the toe and the camber changes slightly as you rotate the toe bush.

The Ireland Engineering kit cost 97 quid delivered.  Bexleys sell them for 80 quid plus posting.  I will weld mine in my self (when they arrive).  Fitting the K macs needs the trailing arms to be removed - big job. 

I am hoping that I can remove the rear axle beam by just removing the diff, propshaft and rear exhaust then un hooking the trailing arms and lowering the beam to the floor!

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2006 at 06:02

Thanks for the help fellas,

what sort of camber does the fixed o/e BMW kit bring back, eg will it cancel out the effects of a 40/50mm  drop? what does it retail at.

Has anyone experience with the bexley or Ireland kits.

Just found 2.5/3" drop eibach springs in the us so a camber kit will be a must for me.

Regards

Rory

Buckfast Tonic Wine-
B10VYT View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2006 at 05:33
My last M6 went to Sydney and the new owner has fitted these bushes as
the tyres were wearing on the inside which is a common problem,
especially if the car is fitted with 17" wheels.

I can contact him and ask him where he got them from if you like.
Nick
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2006 at 04:47

Can anyone advise me of were to get the special eccentric Bush kit for an e24/e28  to alter the rear camber when lowered ??

I have seen a company in USA called k-mac that make them but there very pricey for all they are. i have only been able to locate E30 kits here in Auz.

Also i should mention that MAts Kinnby has the clear front indicator lenses in stock again, i received mine in good condition yesterday for anyone interested in these,

PS  bmw do eccentric bushes but they are fixed.

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2006 at 04:46

Can anyone advise me of were to get the special eccentric Bush kit for an e24/e28  to alter the rear camber when lowered ??

I have seen a company in USA called k-mac that make them but there very pricey for all they are. i have only been able to locate E30 kits here in Auz.

Also i should mention that MAts Kinnby has the clear front indicator lenses in stock again, i received mine in good condition yesterday for anyone interested in these,

Don't know about k macs but you can get the weld in kit for camber and toe adjustment from Bexleys - same as E30 I understand.  Kit was also used by ireland engineering in the states.  I am waiting for rear toe and camber kit from Ireland engineering.

see here.

https://secure15.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp ?CS=ireland&BusType=BtoC&Count1=744259059&Count2 =661399483&CategoryID=1&Target=products%2Easp

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2006 at 20:34

Buckfast Tonic Wine-
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic