Forum LockedUnichipped Evo2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 07:05
A few of those graphs are on slightly different scales by the looks of it. The
cross over points are not all at the right RPM. The faint red anfd green lines
are on a very different scale to each other.
Sponsored Links

M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 07:57
As I said, i had to join the dots for Sheps plots so apologised for inaccuracy. They should all cross at 5250 of course.

The faint green line is my run power at the wheels and is scaled differently though the numbers will be correct. Faint blue line is power (corrected) at the flywheel. Red is my torque.

E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 08:15

My graphs are slightly incorrect as the RPM is 500 out (too fast) so max power was at around 7000RPM, not 7500, although would be nice! I corrected the figures in my 1st post I think?

M3Nally (Nigel?) Maybe your cam timing has slipped slightly? Not sure if there is any adjustment on it?? Also as the chain stretches a little, that can have the same effect too. Not really noticable on the road, but diffinately on the dyno. I was quite happy with my results, and with another 10ft.lb of torque I didn't think I would notice the difference, but I suprisingly can. Another 10 would be great!

Anyway, I am away now till Monday, so if anyone wants more info on the chip conversion, please feel free to call Gerry at Dastek.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
falkster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 10:50
I will deffo be ringing Gerry to get my car sorted and its only 265 miles for me rather than your 400!!! Gonna have to get me a carbon airbox first mind!
Z3M Roadster (gone....just...but not forgotten...yet)
E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
BMW 330d (new work horse)
Daimler Double 6 (no idea yet)
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 12:42
Shep,

So you did, I'll have another go!
grant w View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2006 at 14:07

I've booked my car in with gerry for the 14th april to map my alpha n , handy because it's easter weekend and i can visit the family at the same time ......

www.redevom3.co.uk
1989 e30 m3 2.5
1996 e36 m3 evo , sold
2002 e46 m3 smg .
1991 Daihatsu 2.8 TD Work Horse
Rust Never Sleeps . Tattooed Lady - Bearded Baby - there my family ..
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 09:00

Gerry's gonna be a busy man!

Car is still driving well, although it doesn't feel as eager or as crisp on the Octimax as it did with the Ultimate. So will be driving the tank virtually dry, and refilling with Ultimate. As it was mapped on Ultimate, and the car felt slightly "off" to how it did imediately before refilling with Optimax. It was that noticable, as soon as I drove back onto the motorway.

Spoke to Gerry about this, who says he gets more power from Optimax generally, but getting "good" optimax is a bit hit and miss. So I suspect I may heve some duff stuff in my tank!

Edited by SHEPSM3
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
karnage101 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 09:17

paul,

have you tried that 4* stuff at your garage?

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 09:58
No I havn't tried that in my M3, but I have in some other's I have and the same thing happens. The Unleaded we have though seems to be one of the best and a difference can be felt. I am unsure what the octane rating is for it. I will still fill with Ultimate just to be sure that the car feels as it did before the Optimax. Although it could just be me getting used to it??? I have driven about 1600 miles with it already!

Edited by SHEPSM3
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 17:48

Been posting pics, so I thought while I was at it........

I'll post some pics of the AFM by-pass tube when I got them, although its probably a "how not to do it" as the depression in the inlet manifold was the same with the AFM fitted. But will post them anyway.

Edited by SHEPSM3
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 17:38

Just done some fuel calculations, as I have refilled my tank a couple of times now since the "conversion". On the way back from Fife it averaged approx 36MPG.....This was by no means cruising all the way back, infact I drove it quite hard as I wanted miss the M6/M42/M5 junctions during rush hour.

As I have posted, I refilled with Optimax from a Welsh motorway services, I don't think I actually got Optimax, as the car didn't feel as crisp or as eager as it did directly before the refill. Nonetheless, it still returned 34MPG. This was incorperating mostly motorway driving, but stuck in traffic for an hour and a half, which seemed to hurt the consumption, as I thought it was doing better again untill then.

So...all good so-far. I've refilled with BP Ultimate, and the car feels better again already. I am back at work now so over the next couple of weeks I will calculate what its doing again.

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2006 at 13:06

Hi all! Here are a couple of pictures of the AFM by-pass tube we knocked up. As I said earlier, although its neat-ish, this hasn't helped with loosing the depression inside the inlet plenum at high RPM. I suspect Daves (215DMX) mods would help a great deal as there is no restriction with his drain pipe method.

Atleast its opened up a whole new world of tuning these engines while retaining the original wiring looms and ECU. With this system you do not have to even keep the same throttle bodies, you can fit larger too, and larger injectors, as long as you keep the same injector impedance (resistances).

Also I hear there has been many of you enquiring about this conversion. Please be patient while some more methods are looked at and I will keep you all posted on what is available when it becomes so. Or PM me if you want my phone number, and I will be very happy to talk to anyone about this conversion.

stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2006 at 01:45
Shep,

What you want is one of these

Steve
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2006 at 02:30
Excellent work Shep,

The restriction then is a combination of small diameter pipe work on the air box and AFM, not the AFM per se.

By increasing the airflow with a bigger pipe/ airbox intake arrangement, you will have to increase the fuelling won't you.

If you are getting 13.1 and that is considered a bit lean, can the existing injectors be made to flow more fuel, or will bigger or an extra one be needed?

I guess this is still very much trial and error but makes excellent reading and for many people this will be the first route to better power and driveability. I think Unichip should be very grateful to you for this, and Gerry for the invaluable publicity, not that he probably needs it!

Nick @ TBMW are you watching as this sounds like an ideal project for the EWOK. If you don't want to use EWOK, feel free to feature my Evo2!

Kevin

Kevin    
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2006 at 13:38

Thanks Steve, that looks good. Were you able to notice any difference with that air box? It certainly looks better than my "bodge" job!

Kevin, yes, the restriction is that tube, or AFM, or even the air filter box itself. I am going to do some more testing on the dyno this weekend to try and find where the restriction is. It could even be the throttle bodies themselves, as the Evo2 have 46mm inlet then are machined to 48mm to match the head ports? If I am wrong here, please someone correct me.....  The fueling will have to be sorted too, Gerry said I would need about another 0.5bar of pressure. I would think this would be enough. This maybe unique to mine, and I will have to check the fuel pressure on my car too. I may have a faulty FPR or pump? Also something else to consider is that the fuel pressure maybe decreased as a result of the depression caused in the plenum at high RPM under full load. So once that is sorted I will have slightly more fuel pressure but maybe not enough.

I'll do more tests and post my findings this weekend

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2006 at 14:15
Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

Just done some fuel calculations, as I have refilled my tank a couple of times now since the "conversion". On the way back from Fife it averaged approx 36MPG.....This was by no means cruising all the way back, infact I drove it quite hard as I wanted miss the M6/M42/M5 junctions during rush hour.

As I have posted, I refilled with Optimax from a Welsh motorway services, I don't think I actually got Optimax, as the car didn't feel as crisp or as eager as it did directly before the refill. Nonetheless, it still returned 34MPG. This was incorperating mostly motorway driving, but stuck in traffic for an hour and a half, which seemed to hurt the consumption, as I thought it was doing better again untill then.

So...all good so-far. I've refilled with BP Ultimate, and the car feels better again already. I am back at work now so over the next couple of weeks I will calculate what its doing again.

34-36 mpg. Hmmmmm.
I know the S14 is very good when cruising done the motorway. But to be honest as soon I put my foot down
I NEVER have seen anything above 25mpg. Especially not since 2.5 and 290 cams....
You have to prove me wrong with this
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2006 at 14:58
Paul,   "Also something else to consider is that the
fuel pressure maybe decreased as a result of the
depression caused in the plenum at high RPM
under full load."

I dought this myself.   Though what you do need to
consider is the 'entry' pipe in the front bumper, it is
very small, thats why i removed this and cut the lip off
the bottom part of the airbox and ducted it.

Also the standard 45 degree pipe is 'corregated' so
this could also hamper smooth flow.

The Porsche 3.5 bar FPR i told you about should be
fine.

Where did you have the vacuum gauge installed?
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2006 at 15:49
how can you expect to get more air in if you leave the pipe cross section untouched?
Just by removing the AFM you won't gain a thing. Once the AFM is open it is not a restriction anymore.
I have a 80mm pipe fitted. Just to see what happens I pulled the rubber ellbow from the plenum. AFR's dropped a whole pint to lean! I have now ordered a 100mm ellbow and hope to get it on the car before Easter.
My long term goal is to modify the stock plenum to 120mm inlet like the carbon airbox.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Torch Str8 6 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2006 at 16:15

fyi there is a garage very close to dastek BP which sells 99 octane ultimate

Gerry is a top bloke and knows his stuff for sure, he spent 5 hours fitting and mapping the unichip to my Mk2 Mondeo and ive been there loads of times for RR shootouts

Summer Project on its way......
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2006 at 16:54

Cheers Uwe, but I have done fair testing on the MPG front, if anything, I have tried to calculate the figures at thier worst. Yes there was alot of motorway driving, but ask Dave how I drive the car, I certainly drove the car much harder on the way home than going to Dastek. I really wanted to drive back the same to do a direct comparison, but I enjoyed the new life breathed into my engine and couldn't resist   giving it some....AND still I could drive another 150 miles before the reserve light even came on. If I drove the same back as I went, then I would have had alot more fuel left.......or maybe not....maybe the wind was headon on the way up, and behind me on the way back?

The tube was my idea. I didn't know how much the sprung flap inside the AFM would restrict the flow, so I did what I did as I wanted to retain as much of the original parts on the car as possible (air box, pipework, etc), also to see if the AFM really did restrict the flow as so many people have said in many other related topics. I have learnt that the AFM in itself is NOT the cause of restriction, something I posted earlier and......something that I havn't seen anyone else say! Yes, at full throttle the flap is fully open, but take a look inside the AFM, and there are still restrictions. Atleast I have tried, and tested.  

Dave, yes I agree with you. But again, its something that needs checking, testing and noteing. I am on a roll here! At Dastek, Gerry connected the vac pipe to the take off for the throttle bodies, but I have since put a vac gauge on the take off for the FPR and it shows the same depression at high RPM. If depression is measured here, then I would expect to see a reduction in fuel pressure, ALBEIT SMALL!  The air intake is small for the air filter, and I was going to take a look at or buy the same used on Alpha N. I like what you have done to yours, and may well end up with the same

At the end of the day, all the basics are there as in I am now able to fully live map my car on my dyno....something I was initially aiming for. Being able to remove the AFM was a bonus, although I didn't have to, and can refit it to make everything look original if I wanted to in the future. Thanks again Dave for the Porsche FPR advise too, I want to walk before running, so I will test mine to see if everything is normal on the fuel pressure front. If everything is as it should be, I will fit the Porsche FPR

Its all food for thought though, I just want to keep learning about what effects what while I am doing it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic