Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedClarifying an M3?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clarifying an M3?
    Posted: 20-March-2006 at 05:06
WWW.335ITC.CO.UK

Ok, this is just an enquiry to true "m" owners on what is and isnt ok.

Just before you read this, please note: -
all parts i got were already advertised, and not taken from an existing m3, all "m" parts are genuine, including the impossible fit of the rear wing's. (just didn't want any flaming for being an "m butcher").

I have basically converted my 325i 1989, into what is near as damn it an e30 m3 evo (3) The parts i have sourced, would probably have ended up being botched onto a similar project, and the cars from which these parts came would all but disappear.. i have used all genuine parts i.e. front and rear wing's, front evo lip.

I totally appreciate that it is and always will be at heart a 325i convertible, but i was just wondering what value true m owners would place on such a project?

i.e. did i just help the "market" for cutting up m cars, or did i do something useful with parts that had already been removed.

I know a car like this would never make it to status of a m car in an owners club, but where would you place it?

The car isn't finshed yet, but please view www.335itc.co.uk for the latestpics (these will be live around 11 am 3/20/06 (today).

your replies greatly appreciated.

PLEASE VIEW THE LATEST PICS HERE http://www.335itc.co.uk/Respray.htm

Please note that the Jaggy lines are where they have been resized.
thanks. craig.

Edited by Check it out!
www.335itc.co.uk
Its gonna be finished for summer!!! thats the plan!!!
Sponsored Links

ultegra View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
I Hate Sunday Lunch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 05:48

I can't fault your guts.

Are you doing the whole job with aerosols? You must have your very own ozone layer depletion right over your lock-up.

Edited by ultegra
Chris Enright
M Coupe Silver
ex M Coupe Black
ex 318is Silver
318is White
ex M3 GT
ex 318is Red
ex 318is Blue
316i shell - watch this space...
Check it out! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 05:52
Originally posted by ultegra ultegra wrote:

I can't fault your guts.

Are you doing the whole job with aerosols? You must have your very own ozone layer depletion right over your lock-up.

lol, probably. i could, and i can get an excellent finish, but its a matter of getting material on the car, so its hopefully being sprayed (cellulose) with proper air gun etc this weekend. Running out of time, and i have already missed 3 summers, so i havnt got time to learn to properly spray.

when i started i didnt know how to weld, spray, or anything like this, so its been a great learning curve. guts? mmm, i can think of other words, but guts probably sounds better!

Edited by Check it out!
www.335itc.co.uk
Jim M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 06:08

Craig,

I admire your bravery in taking on such a project!

What are you doing regarding the suspension? are you keeping the 4 stud hubs or converting to M3 ones? I only ask because your rear track looks a little narrow for the arches. M3 rear subframe is wider (I think!)

Jim.

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 06:21

Hi, that is a point. basically the side in that pic doesn't have the spacer, however, this pic should show better.

Its a massive amount of spacing, but i hope to remedy that when the car gets back on the road, with some bigger offset bbs's. at the moment these are just 7.5 j bk299's, and just aren't ideal. they look good enough for now. I'm not using normal spacers, these bolt to the hub, and then the wheel to that.

The whole chassis has been overhauled as well

The whole suspension has gone poly bushed, and adjustable where possible. I made my own coilover for the front, as the wheel's didnt look right in the m3 arches and i needed to fine tune the ride height.

www.335itc.co.uk
Fushion Julz View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 06:24
Looks like a pretty huge task, in all....

It certainly isn't an E30 M3, though, cos it has 2 too many cylinders, for a start....

1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 06:28

Originally posted by Fushion Julz Fushion Julz wrote:

Looks like a pretty huge task, in all....

It certainly isn't an E30 M3, though, cos it has 2 too many cylinders, for a start....

and an extra litre lol! i expect it will be a totally different drive to an m3, although the chassis modifications should help keep the heavy lump pointing in the right direction! (i hope)

www.335itc.co.uk
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 06:55
I can understand you like the look of the M3 (so do I!!)
but I can never understand why people want to have a M3 Convertible???
Have you ever seen a Sierra Cosworth without a roof?
One would think with all the effort, time and money spend you should have sold the 325 and bought a proper M3 in the first place. At least some of your money would not be down the drain.
Doing a conversion as this will always be a loss. Unless you find somebody keen for this car.

But still admire you dedication to takle something like this. Good job.

BTW trailing arms are all the same on any E30. The hubs are different.

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 07:07

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

I can understand you like the look of the M3 (so do I!!)
but I can never understand why people want to have a M3 Convertible???
Have you ever seen a Sierra Cosworth without a roof?
One would think with all the effort, time and money spend you should have sold the 325 and bought a proper M3 in the first place. At least some of your money would not be down the drain.
Doing a conversion as this will always be a loss. Unless you find somebody keen for this car.

But still admire you dedication to takle something like this. Good job.

BTW trailing arms are all the same on any E30. The hubs are different.

purchasing a good convertible m3 would be around 9k, i bought the m3 kit for 450, and was quoted 1300 just to fit the rear arches. fitting in total has probably cost me under 1k, including the welding equipment. I also wanted to totally overhaul the suspension, so even m3 suspension was not what i had in mind (people upgrade m3 suspension alot),

and power i wanted around 300, so tweaking a genuine m3 engine is apparently very very expensive.

I must admit that i didnt intend to go this far, it all started off as just a simple 3.5 drop in, but went wrong somewhere along the lines.

As for it being a convertible, i always wanted one, but the 2.5 wasnt quick enough, i have seen a convertible cossy and to me it doesnt make sense, so i am sort of contradicsting myself here, but cosworth never made a convertible, bmw did.

Wth regard to it being a loss, then yes it is, if i put it on ebay as just another m3 conversion, but luckily i don't tire of the car, and owned it for two years prior to the three (plus) year conversion i am doing now, and an m10 318 prior to this.

i never set out to have the m3 kit, but i needed to fit bigger brakes in (with around 340 bhp i didnt like the idea of uprated standard brakes), that meant bigger wheels (and offset), and i really didnt want fibreglass. This sort of left me with m3 kit.

I think your points are valid, and it really is down to opinion and preference.

www.335itc.co.uk
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 08:19
Originally posted by Check it out! Check it out! wrote:

fit bigger brakes in (with around 340 bhp i didnt like the idea of uprated standard brakes),

exactly what engine are you going to fit?
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 08:25

ive taken the 735i 1989 engine (218bhp) m30, added hartge throttle bodies 288 degree cam etc. this takes her to around 260>286, then running t70 very low pressure (on initial engine), at only 3psi. When i uprate the bottom end i'll run higher pressure, but for now its just to get all the kit on the engine running. And to not get on/off boost issues.

6psi should see me around 400, but from 170> 340 is a pretty good improvement. Im more into the handling and braking now, but i can at least take the engine further if i need to.

www.335itc.co.uk
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 08:33

ive taken the 735i 1989 engine (218bhp) m30, added hartge throttle bodies 288 degree cam etc. this takes her to around 260>286, then running t70 very low pressure (on initial engine), at only 3psi. When i uprate the bottom end i'll run higher pressure, but for now its just to get all the kit on the engine running. And to not get on/off boost issues.

6psi should see me around 400, but from 170> 340 is a pretty good improvement. Im more into the handling and braking now, but i can at least take the engine further if i need to.

Glad you mentioned the turbo, otherwise I would have said good luck with getting 340bhp out of the old 3.5 lump

BTW why the expense (and work!!!) with the M5 throttles if you turbo it anyway?
And please don't fit the Cecotto front spoiler (please )

would you mind posting some pictures of you front strut conversion??

Edited by UweM3
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 09:03

Hi, with the whole project, its been "yes i'll do that", and then ive had the chance of something better so have gone for that. the throttle bodies were supposed to give me much better power and keep the engine n/a, but now i will just be able to run much lower boost and keep the same power. reducing the lag effect of the turbo.

heres some pics of the suspension for you.

www.335itc.co.uk
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 09:06

[/QUOTE]

And please don't fit the Cecotto front spoiler (please )

would you mind posting some pictures of you front strut conversion??[/QUOTE]

And yes, sourcing a genuine cecotto was sooooo difficult. Ive got the evo3 carbon fibre lip going on as well.

Being a convertilbe the m3 rear spoiler would look too "max power" for me, so im sticking to the sport double type.

www.335itc.co.uk
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 10:39

And please don't fit the Cecotto front spoiler (please ) would you mind posting some pictures of you front strut conversion??[/QUOTE]

And yes, sourcing a genuine cecotto was sooooo difficult. Ive got the evo3 carbon fibre lip going on as well.

Being a convertilbe the m3 rear spoiler would look too "max power" for me, so im sticking to the sport double type.

[/QUOTE]

thanks for the piccies. Is that Groundcontrol stuff?
Have you shortend the strut? What strut inserts are you going to use? Spring rates? (I have some 2.25" springs left if you need some)
So your're going to make an EVO5 front spoiler? (EVO2 and EVO3 at the same time)
Lucky you can't drive full speed over here. That will create some serious downforce at the front with almost nothing to match at the rear. The EVO3 front is fitted togehter with and EXTENDED M3 rear wing. Don't underestimate how much downforce you need to match your rear.
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 10:49

the struts i adapted from standard type, cutting the base off, and welding on a new spring platform, the spring were from my friends project (he is doing a baur m3 convertible even crazier, with the (4.0 v8 auto!), these springs were from him, so i will see how they go.

The brake kit is 360X32mm monster kit from Hi-spec Motorsport, shocks are spax psx, slightly uprated at the front, anti-roll bars are from bmw 2002.com (huge things, the car will never lean at all),

The rear will have alot of extra weight added (rear wings, foam filled etc) so im not too worried as yet about higher speed cornering.

evo 5? i thought e30 m3 went to evo 3, i.e. m3 front bumper+cecotto+carbon lip?

Rear has a twin sport spoiler, which will help although probably more through its weight than anything else, besides, tail end action is always better than front.

front camber is totally adjustable with coilover top mounts, bearings, spax psx have adjustable rates. I have two track days to tune it up on but the road is where i am more conerned at the mo. probably get some 265/30/18 rubber on the rear when i put 9j's on the back as opposed to current 7.5 j's.

and obviously f1 gsd3's all round as per current.

Edited by Check it out!
www.335itc.co.uk
Red'n'Black View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 11:08

You are either very clever or you have too much time and money to burn!

I cant believe you are building nearly from scratch a hybrid m3 convertible type thingy with a whopping great big engine and a mixture of every single evolution m3 part ever made.

I am waiting for jeremy beadle to jump out in a minute

Good luck on your project

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 11:15

lol, thanks, i get this alot. Its taken over three years, and will probably total around 4. The problem ive had is that i have gone essentially for the best parts i can get for a road/ race setup (without full professional grade parts).

Cost hasn't been as bad as people might tink, as i have done to date all of the work myself (steep learning curve, knew very little at the start).

for example i was quoted 1300 just to fit and primer my rear wings, i took a week off work, and did this myself (god knows how it turned out so well).

The car will basically be brand new when i finish, with no part untouched. Ive re-built the speedo as well, clocked it to 0 as the car will then be "miles since re-build".

I have seen many e30's with similar ideas or concepts, but none the same so far. so its nice to do something different. saying that cost wise i could have bought a zm3!

It just seems more like a dream it will on the road some day, and with my mates and family its almost like a myth that the car exists its been hidden for so long!

oh, it used to look like this before the engine went. Should give you an idea its not oing to be tacky when finished!

www.335itc.co.uk
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 03:05
Evo2 and Evo3 do NOT share any spoilers.
Evo2 had the front attachment like yours and a additional little boot lip under the M3 wing.
Evo3 was fitted with the flat front splitter directly to the standard M3 bumper with a little straigt extension and a wing extension.

Evo5 is my own description when people just slap everything evo available on the car at the same time

I repeat my questions about the struts, have you shortened them? I have converted M3 struts and was unable to get the front DOWN. What Front top mounts are you going to use?
Nice ARB's BTW. Any idea what spring rates the rear springs have?
JudgeBaxter View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 04:12
Personally, modded cars don't really do it for me at all....but then the world would be a VERY boring place if we all liked the same things (even if we all liked and drove E30 M3s.. )

however...

Fair play to you mate. I think guys like you should be applauded personally. Sticking max-power plastic spoilers onto a Saxo is one thing, but taking on a project like this, from scratch, requires b*ll*cks a plenty, and from a more general point of view, it's people like this who very often discover useful little bits of "info/tweaks/mods/ways to do something cheaper/simpler" and these then help others keep their cars on the road further down the line?

Someone's got to do something in the first place to know if it can be done or not..I for one haven't got the courage.....but good luck to people who do!!

I wouldn't like to commment on value - but who knows? 325i Cabs do have a massive following and if the end project is reliable and solid.....???

Good luck with it anyway mate, I'm next to useless mechanically myself, but you should find plenty of useful info on hear concerning E30 M3 parts/set-ups etc, so hopefully you can get the car as 'M' as possible in spirit and design, even if not in actual reality. Arguably thats more what M cars are all about anyway.

cheers,

dave.

BMW E34 M5 (3.8)
BMW E30 M3 EvoII
Lancia Integrale EvoII "Perlato" Ltd Ed.
Mk.2 Golf GTI 16V
Mk.1 Scirocco GTI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic