Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCastle Combe - What’s going on???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Castle Combe - What’s going on???
    Posted: 20-February-2006 at 17:36

I have noticed yet again this year that the BMWCC will not be holding a track/action day at Castle Combe.

I was quite disappointed last year that it was penciled in, advertised in the club magazines, then dropped at the last minute. I am bitterly disappointed that pretty much the same thing has happened this year too. Although this year I havn't seen it advertised???

Oh well, I guess we have the '02 stand to look forward to on the Classic Car Action day at Castle Combe. Any room for a couple of M powered E30's?

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Sponsored Links

bmw2002 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2006 at 04:15
Hi, Regretable I won't be at Castle Combe - I will find someone to pick up the Torch though. I'll be too busy giving the Turbo some down those German Autobahns to the big 02 meet in Bavaria at the same time. The old Drivers club used to do a great cheap track day, but as we all know it's now a distance memory. ALL BMW's are always welcome at all our events, we will have reserved paddock space on the day & you can take your M3 round the circuit as much as your heart & pocket can desire. Also don't forget Brands Weekend on May 20/21st as it's "Your Birthday" too; M3 E30 20 Year celebrations. This will be a packed weekend for all. Also BMW UK are now trying to get the German M-Power people on board.
Rich.
PS. I'll let the Club Office know all the details for Combe shortly.
www.bmw2002.co.uk
o==00==o
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2006 at 17:44

Ah! I heard some news today about this event, basically the chap (from Total BMW magazine) books one day initially, then wants to change it to another day later on in the year (mid summer) But can't book as he's missed the boat. Did it this year, as he did last year.

I understand about the BMW Drivers club used to organise this event, but who organises the others, as the likes of last years Silverstone event, etc. was a hit. Surely someone could take up the challenge of organising some cracking track days/events at circuits such as Castle Combe, Pembrey, Mallory, etc. Support the smaller circuits too!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
325i Ron View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2006 at 03:07

Hi Paul

We will be having a stand at the April "Action Day" at Castle Combe (April 22nd). We had hoped to have a track with Total BMW mag but nothing came of it dates not available or clashed with what we have. As far as the Action Day we get free entry plus a discount on the track price.
I will keep you informed.

Ron
bmw2002 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2006 at 05:55
Ron, an you please contact me. Rich.
www.bmw2002.co.uk
o==00==o
Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2006 at 13:03
Its all about dates and availability and not clashing with other club events and getting someone to be organiser blah blah blah.

The Drivers Club used Combe as their single annual track event and focussed on that. We have a bit more to think about and I honestly don't know where we could squeeze another one in. We are doing 4 this year spread all over the country, 5 if you include the 'ring.

We do not have endless support. If we were to put on another big track event at Combe or wherever would it be at the expense of some other established event like my one at Croft.. We did put on another event a few years back one summer with less than a months space before Croft and that was the one and only time I lost money because I didnt get enough bums on seats.

I am sure there will be plenty of track action provided by alsorts of clubs and organisations down at Combe that you could join in with, its a popular place.

Don't be too disappointed we do our best.

Nick
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2006 at 16:53

Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

I have noticed yet again this year that the BMWCC will not be holding a track/action day at Castle Combe.

So go it alone - or with a few friends....

http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/car_trackdays.htm

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2006 at 17:34

Thanks, but thats not the point.

Other events are being held at the EXPENSE of Castle Combe BMW track day, and it always seems that Castle Combe is always compromised to allow other events to be held.

This can only be due to dis-organisation.

Frankly SW BMW owners are being neglected, and although I am not too concerned about traveling 100's of miles to get to Croft, I am sure there are plenty of others who would be. Silverstone is probably the closest which is holding a BMW track day?? Maybe I will be put right here, I don't know.

BMW Drivers Club may have concentrated all there efforts on 1 track day, but surely such a day can be reserected by someone?

BOOK Castle Combe NOW for summer time next year. Promote the event PROPERLY, and you will have a cracking event I am sure. Hey, I would even give a deal on power runs at our garage for another incentive!

If there is "worry" about holding a BIG track event at Castle Combe, whats wrong with holding a smaller event and having another owners club share the day? Castle Combe is very flexible like that.

Except for the BMW day held about 3-4 years ago, I cannot remember a track day which has not sold out there. I can only assume that the track day held back then was NOT promoted properly, or someones heart simply wasnt in it?

There are lots of possibilities. They just need to be explored.

Its all given me alot of food for thought.

Ron, I look forward to seeing you on the 2nd, I think I'll have alot to say!

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2006 at 17:54

be careful ShepsM3, or you'll be the

"someone to be organiser blah blah blah."

Edited by thepits

But don't care.
Nick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2006 at 14:15

Frankly SW BMW owners are being neglected, and although I am not too concerned about traveling 100's of miles to get to Croft, I am sure there are plenty of others who would be. Silverstone is probably the closest which is holding a BMW track day?? Maybe I will be put right here, I don't know.

Hmmm.. all sounds a little familiar.
your point about not having a 'local' trackday was exactly the reason I started doing Croft.

The Club dont run Croft.. I do
The Club dont run Cadwell.. EAR do
And the Club don't run Siverstone/Donington.. Brian does.

I don't want to run a second trackday, I have done it before when we did Bedford for the first time.. it is just too much for one working family man to accomplish.

If you feel there is room within the club calendar to run an event at Combe leaving enough 'breathing' space between existing trackdays.. and you know someone with the bottle to commit 100% to organising it and bailing it out financially should not enough members pay up then lets do it for 2007.
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2006 at 17:39

Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

I don't want to run a second trackday, I have done it before when we did Bedford for the first time.. it is just too much for one working family man to accomplish.

I wasn't asking you Nick, I could only imagine the tasks and hassle involved in trying to organise an event like this. I was just dissappointed the day was booked 2 years on the trott and cancelled pretty much at the last minute. Almost an half hearted effort.

I would be unable to arrange such an event as I am too a busy person who is on 24hr breakdown recovery while not at the workshop, and if I did, I would probably leave it upto Castle Combes PR people to deal with promoting the event, after all the more people who pass thier gates, the more money they will make. There is only a few nights and a couple of weeks which I have to myself and family. Otherwise, I would jump at it myself.

I'm sure your Croft event is worth going to and one year I maybe able to make it??

Anyone else wanting to rise to the challenge?

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2006 at 17:58

Hmmmm

Bristol to Castle Combe = 23 miles (from Cheltenham > 43 miles)

Bristol to Croft = 271 miles (from Cheltenham > 233 miles)

I get your point!

Anyone else wanting to rise to the challenge?

Well?? Any takers??    

But don't care.
Nick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2006 at 13:56
I know why they pulled the plug last time.. with less than a few weeks to go there was hardly enough entry money on the table to pay the deposit let alone fund the event.. they thought it prudent to cancel than risk a big loss.. as it happened loads of disappointed people did turn up on the day and it would have paid for itself.. hindsight is wonderful.

The hardest thing for me as organiser is getting people to commit and buy a ticket this is why you hear me rattling on so much trying to drum up support... So many people take events for granted and think they can just roll up at their leisure.
Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2006 at 22:30
Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

So many people take events for granted and think they can just roll up at their leisure.

Never a truer word spoken in jest!

I live in Huddersfield, so wherever I go to take part in a track day (other than Croft - thats only 70 miles away) involves me travelling hundreds of miles as they are all located 'down South'. Its all relative.

Track Hire can cost anything from £7K for a small track to £30K for Silverstone. To hire a track you have to put up a substantial deposit at a time when you do not know how many people will take part. Most people do not commit until a couple of days before the meeting. If people had comitted to the Castle Combe Track day two years ago a couple of months prior to the meet, we would have had a successful track day. As it was, we decided it was not worth the risk, and cancelled at a cost of £2K to the club. 400 guys turned up on the day. That tells quite a story. Either put up or shut up is what I say!

Each year the track day organisers do run one track day at a different place. Last year it was Mallory. I forget where it is this year but another track is being used. If enough people ask, they may try Castle Combe some time.

Track days are organised by a select group of volunteers, and the club has little involvement other than handling credit card payments. So if you want a track day at Castle Combe, do what Nick did at Croft, 11 years ago, and put up the cost out of your own pocket.
Then if it works, you will really have achieved something.

Edited by Howard
1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2006 at 14:17

Howard, not quite sure how to take that? Four hundred people turning up not knowing it was cancelled, that is certainly food for thought.

I remember the BMW drivers club event being a very good event, which, although wasn't the busiest track day, certainly didn't loose money. I am not sure if it was, but if it was run while other track days were being organised and run during the same periods, and i being as busy as it was, it seems a shame to just let this one slip by.

I understand all too well that most people don't commit untill the last minute, although not a track day, I used to organise alot of endurance karting events and remember it sometimes being a nightmare.

Lets see what happens and watch this space.

Nick @ TBMW View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2006 at 17:55
FYI myself (EWOK) and Rob (Compact) will be there on the 22nd April on track and taking photos of the day.

Got to go up to CC beforehand to do a sound check though. Bit unsure about passing the 100db limit with Supersprint race and carbon airbox
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2006 at 18:22

Funnily enough, it might very well pass! As the test is done only at half the max RPM at about 1 meter? from the tailpipe? But on the track, the induction will be higher! They also have sensors around the track too, but hopefully you'll be ok.

My SE should be on the stand then too.

See you there!

Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2006 at 20:06
It will be interesting to know! See you there 

I've got a trackday booked at Anglesey the following day too so it should be a fun weekend
325i Ron View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2006 at 02:57
Nick

I will be there with a display of BMs from the South West Area of the Car Club.See you there.

Ron Parish E30 Chair & Monthly meet Organiser.

PS Did Matt get my email!!!!
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2006 at 09:00
Cool, will see you there at some point! What time will the SW region CC be on track? We've got track time all day and I need to know when to take pics/take notes.

Not sure about an email - would you like to send it to me? I mostly deal with the news/events/features side of things anyway.

nick.odantzis@futurenet.co.uk

Won't be able to read it till Tuesday though. Day off today and EWOK is getting some special attention on Monday

Edited by Nick @ TBMW
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic