Forum LockedLeaking front window

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking front window
    Posted: 18-February-2006 at 08:17

Another one from me today...

The front windscreen is leaking. Not badly, but water is getting in, and it has to be stopped.

I had a new screen (and window rubber) put in about 8 years ago. There is probably a bit of rust in one corner (although not visible from the front), and thats pushed the rubber out, and created a gap for the water to enter. Usual story.

I like the screen as I got the one with blue sun strip at the top, and I am not sure that this is still available any more.

The bottom off-side corner has a small crack in it, but nothing major - in fact water is coming in from the other side anyway. I was wondering if any of you have taken out and replaced a screen before, and have experienced any problems.

I can see how to get it out, but Ill have to deal with the metalwork with it out, and then replace it, but I hope that this small crack will not be a major problrem. I.e is the job a real bugger, or is it fairly straight forward.

-Ben

1985 635 CSI with Style 134's
1998 Z3 2.8i
Sponsored Links

Drew21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 12:09

I have a replacement screen but I haven't summoned the courage to do the job yet, I'll probs wait till summer.

I did find something on the net about it but true to form I can't find it now. I'll see if I printed it out when I get home.

general technique for windscreen in general is:

if you want to make sure the glass gets out intact, cut the rubber out

if you want to make sure the rubber is intact, break the glass.

if you want to get both out intact then its trickier: From inside the car start in a top corner and with a flat blade screwdriver, push a small bit of the rubber over the body lip so its outside the car. Placing a careful amount of pressure on the glass (probs with your feet, or those of your beautiful assistant) continue popping the rubber over the lip all the way along the top of the glass. Then do the sides and then remove the glass. Doing it this way risks breaking the glass.

to get it back in (after you've sorted the rust) put string inside the rubber lip crossing over at the bottom. Cover everything in fairy liquid and then place screen in place at the bottom (with the ends of the string inside the car)

your beautiful assistant applies pressure next to the string as you pull the string. The string is not supposed to slip around the glass and all being well the string will pull the inside of the rubber seal over the metal body lip. Your assistant will be following your progress and placing pressure directly next to where the string is pulling the screen into place.

Sounds easy but is generally quite problematic, I've done this job on fords and VWs but never a bimmer so all the above might be slightly wrong!! I've only broken two windscreens to date

Edited by Drew21
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 13:32

6er windscrens can leak because water runs down behind the sides of the rubber trim (on the windscreen pillars) and then can't escape, forming a small puddle in the body recess at the corner. I've used 'seelastik' to good effect on windscreens that leak, its really good stuff. I'd try this before taking the screen out, I'd say you will break it unless you sacrifice the rubber.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 17:31

Where do you put this seelastik, and how do you do it? I guess its a kind of mastic/ bituminous product.

If I get the car resprayed, clearly the job will look cleaner if the screen is out at the time.

Would prefer to use a sealant than remoce the windscreen any day though.

1985 635 CSI with Style 134's
1998 Z3 2.8i
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic