Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedM3 3.0 and 3.2 Values

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: M3 3.0 and 3.2 Values
    Posted: 03-December-2002 at 15:50
Dear All,

Can anyone shed some light on the reason for the 1993/1994 M3 3.0 Coupes being much cheaper than the 3.2 equivalents for teh following years, of course age and mileage affects this but there seems to be a real differential at trade prices.

I have been offered in the past 94L Avus Blue M3 Coupe 3.0 60K full History traded from Main Dealer for £7000 grand, now for me that is very resonable decent 328 money, and then a 96P 4 door 3.2 and that was trading for 10,800, a healthy increase for a couple of years newer.

National searches in Autotrader tend to highlight the same trend.

Is the 3.0 unit troublesome at higher miles or less sought after.

comments advice appreciated as would definately grab the next one at small money rather than being sensible and buying ie 325I or 328I.

Many Thanks

Kevin
Sponsored Links

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2002 at 16:52

As far as I'm aware the 3.0 had criticisms raised at it on the handling/steering front, people I've spoken to have said as much as it's akin to a very quick 328 - no bad thing but not the M3 that it's supposed to be. And as such is relatively undesireable - still a very nice motor car though don't misunderstand me.

The 3.2 Evo model is an entirely different beastie,the various criticisms levelled at the 3 litre have been addressed and the 3.2 is more of an M class car.

Drive them both and decide for yourself I guess, depends on your driving style but you may find the 3 litre eminently suitable.

To sum the early models are less sought after but I don't believe to be particularly troublesome - check other threads/websites regarding VANOS concerns though would be my advice. I've read of VANOS wear at what can be relatively low mileage and depending on your warranty can possibly be not covered and an expensive fix.

Kevin G View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2002 at 17:17
Many Thanks Jase B

Food for thought certainly,   i have heard some rumblings regards the Vanos Unit however need to undertake some proper research on this.

Regards

Kevin
m3kuk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2002 at 09:38

Cant say I've noticed much of a price diff. myself.Hi miles Evos are appearing around the 12K mark,the same money as a good late M3.As for performance they are both ex quick cars.A 328 would not get anywere near an M3.I plumped for an EVO 96 coupe mainly because it was the nicest car I seen out of about 15 M3's and EVOs.The twin VANOS unit on the EVO is more likely to go than the single one on the M3.I've just replaced mine after 56K.£1700 inc fitting(BMW paid £600) so be careful.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic