Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 09:09

Originally posted by Mike Fishwick Mike Fishwick wrote:

I'm glad I live in France, with a French licence.

I'm glad I live in France with an English licence - the rules have been changed and you no longer have to change you licence within 12 months if you have a European licenece already.

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Sponsored Links

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 08:43
How far you can go depends on the circumstances. You can only use the amount of force that is reasonable & necessary to detain someone, any excess is an abuse of force & is a criminal act.

In defence of yourself/others you can use reasonable & necessary force to avert that threat. The level of force used has to be proportional to the actual/perceived threat level.

As I say knowledge & accurate judgement of what is acceptable in each individual circumstances is what is necessary.
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 08:26

@ livvy :- but what is too far ? do i smack him once & send him on his way " you naughty scallywag be off with you " ? or do as i did & knock him out for destroying my ( hard earned ) property that he had no right to tamper with in the first place ? Anyway had my "kindly neabour " not called the police no one would have known what had gone on & he might think again about doing it to some other poor person ? Do you think he would have gone to the local police station to report me ? " and why did this gentleman assault you ? "   " well you see man i was trying to nick his C.D. player from his car that i had just broken into & he comes out the house like a man demented & knocks me into next week "

Rough justice me thinks after all if he hadn't done my car he would still have his " debonair " good looks & not needed 5 stitches to a cut above his eye & a burst nose !! 

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 07:59
It's not a load of horse wotsit at all.

Shorty obviously went too far because he/she was convicted of assault.

Your best defence is knowing exactly what the law says & acting within it. You can of course use reasonable & necessary force in both detaining offenders & in defending yourself or others. In certain circumstances that can mean even lethal force & a pre-emptive strike, the law is quite clear.

Knowledge is the power that protects you where you use force, ignorance of the law is what leaves you wide open.

Nobody is allowed to punish someone with a beating.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 07:48
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

I'm sorry shorty........

But it is not up to you to meet out a bit of summary justice. You can only use such force as is reasonable, necessary & within the law. You can't simply exact whatever revenge you see fit.

Oh come on livvy, that's a load of horse wotsit and you know it.

I'm entirely with shorty, if I caught some thieving little toerag putting in my car window, which I have worked very hard to afford, I would not hesitate in dragging him out of the car and rendering him unconscious. So what was shorty to do then? What does the law allow? Reasonable force?! The guy had a screwdriver - shorty says 'excuse me old chap, I wonder if you'd mind awfully getting out of my car?', so guy gets out and stabs him with screwdriver. Result - murder. Shorty was right.

In my eyes, someone who breaks into your property has stepped outside the law, and so by doing that they lose any rights they had. I think the owners of such property should be allowed to take whatever steps are necessary to restrain the criminal with their own safety being the #1 priority. If someone broke into my house in the dead of night, my first though would be for my family not my possessions, and as such I would take suitable steps to keep such a person away from them. If that involved knocking them unconscious and tying them up, then that is what I would do. And I make no apologies for that.    
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 07:32
Originally posted by shorty shorty wrote:

Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

Originally posted by whitey whitey wrote:

Well they should do.... thieving scum.

Agreed! If some hood broke into my house, I'd like to think he would be sent to the slammer for a couple of years, not allowed to come back the following night for another go. Now of course, I could avoid seeing him the next night by defending my property and rendering him unconscious - then I'd get to spend the next night in jail! Problem solved.

Oh so true Doive . you catch some scumbag "doing " your car & nicking stuff that you have WORKED hard to get  , you knock him out & you are the "criminal " ????????? . Had this some years ago caught " ned " breaking my window to nick my C.D player ( he was in the car gouging it out with a screwdriver ) pulled him out by scruff of the neck & knocked the "Hell " out of him , one of my "Kindly " neighbors saw me do this to a " Young yr old BOY " & called the police . P.C arrived " I've got him for you " i said but was me that got nicked for " common assault " ???????? Had to take day off work ( unpaged ) to go to court & fined £50 . He on the other hand ( who had done this & various other similar stuff )pleaded he was on " unemployment " & was down on his luck !!!!!!! what did he get ? ......... £30 with six months to pay !!!!!!!  British justice eh !

I'm sorry shorty........

But it is not up to you to meet out a bit of summary justice. You can only use such force as is reasonable, necessary & within the law. You can't simply exact whatever revenge you see fit.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 05:57
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

The public ignore them, insurance companies ignore them (in my experience), and now magistrates ignore them lol

http://www.itvregions.com/Granada/News/Driver+keeps+licence+ despite+31+penalty+points.htm

Wish the insurance people had ignored mine Nigel , rise of £350 for my points !!!!!

shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 05:55

Agreed! If some hood broke into my house, I'd like to think he would be sent to the slammer for a couple of years, not allowed to come back the following night for another go. Now of course, I could avoid seeing him the next night by defending my property and rendering him unconscious - then I'd get to spend the next night in jail! Problem solved.

Oh so true Doive . you catch some scumbag "doing " your car & nicking stuff that you have WORKED hard to get  , you knock him out & you are the "criminal " ????????? . Had this some years ago caught " ned " breaking my window to nick my C.D player ( he was in the car gouging it out with a screwdriver ) pulled him out by scruff of the neck & knocked the "Hell " out of him , one of my "Kindly " neighbors saw me do this to a " Young 17 yr old BOY " & called the police . P.C arrived " I've got him for you " i said but was me that got nicked for " common assault " ???????? Had to take day off work ( unpayed ) to go to court & fined £50 . He on the other hand ( who had done this & various other similar stuff )pleaded he was on " unemployment " & was down on his luck !!!!!!! what did he get ? ......... £30 with six months to pay !!!!!!!  British justice eh !

Edited by shorty
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 19:21

www.doive.co.uk
whitey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 18:28

I can't remember a time in my life time that first time burglars would ever get a custodial sentence.

2000 e39 523i with full factory sport kit.
1989 e30 325i Convertible
1999 Golf GTI 1.8T
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 12:30

I heard today that first time burglars who are caught don't get custodial sentences, just a caution. So if you want to avoid jail, try a bit of thievery - but make sure the getaway car has all the documents with it.

You won't of course go to jail for document offences either. I can't remember a time in my life time that first time burglars would ever get a custodial sentence.
Mine & mine alone.
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 12:25
I heard today that first time burglars who are caught don't get custodial sentences, just a caution. So if you want to avoid jail, try a bit of thievery - but make sure the getaway car has all the documents with it.
www.doive.co.uk
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 12:25
Originally posted by Fushion Julz Fushion Julz wrote:

And you wonder why people have a disregard for the "law"...Actually, it's worse, because laws like this devalue laws with genuine merit.

People grow up despising the police (for enforcing the meaningless laws) and the government (for creating them). Then they become the lawless in society.

Increasingly, though, those lawless folk are what, in a recent past time, would have been the law-abiding, honest majority.

So you don't think that people should have to have a driving licence, insurance or MOT etc & have to produce it when required by a Police officer ?

Is that what you are saying ?

Because if we do have to do those things, there will be laws to enforce it & prosecutions where the law isn't complied with.
Mine & mine alone.
Fushion Julz View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 12:23

And you wonder why people have a disregard for the "law"...Actually, it's worse, because laws like this devalue laws with genuine merit.

People grow up despising the police (for enforcing the meaningless laws) and the government (for creating them). Then they become the lawless in society.

Increasingly, though, those lawless folk are what, in a recent past time, would have been the law-abiding, honest majority.

1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 12:20
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

There will be no escaping the punitive measures of the state.

Don't commit the crime of course.

If the government made it illegal to use websites like this that talked about speed cameras in a not too positive light, would we deserve punishment for doing so?

Peter

I've said before that we voted the government in a we give them the power to introduce laws over us as part of their governance.

Where they do that & it is totally at odds to the general publics view at large they can expect revolution.

I don't see revolution coming over the current proposals with speed limits or ANPR cameras, but it could happen with your website suggestion, so as such I can't see that happening.

Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 12:14

Crime?!?

deary me...so now failing to present your documents makes you a criminal...Lock 'em up, sling 'em in the cells with the rapists, I say.

Anything that you can be taken before a criminal court for is a crime, including failing to produce your documents. It's nothing new it's been around a long long time.
It may not be the most serious offence, it may not be an imprisonable offence, but it is still a crime.
If I may be so bold as to venture, your reaction is what is over the top (lock 'em up, sling 'rm in the cell with the rapists), not the fact that the offence is regarded as a minor crime.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 12:13

Crime?!?

deary me...so now failing to present your documents makes you a criminal...Lock 'em up, sling 'em in the cells with the rapists, I say.

I know Julz, even I think its getting a bit desperate now !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:58

Crime?!?

1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:36

If the government made it illegal to use websites like this that talked about speed cameras in a not too positive light, would we deserve punishment for doing so?

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:20

Mine & mine alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic