Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedoff centre top mounts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 04:23
Also doesn't too much camber affect braking performance as well?
If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough....
Sponsored Links

CoolCat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 08:04

@ Pooky: obviously technical discussions are not something you like a lot. You prefer to tell THE TRUTH in one short contradictory or ironical phrase.
Well, 99% of "profesionals" who are working with cars all their life long do not have an idea what a car is, so very good reference indeed.

@215DMX: in fact not any of the 2 possibilities, it is just a question of mass repartition, don't even need to drive any of these cars to know...The six cylinder is a heavy engine and is mounted more to the front of the car, so if you do as I mentioned, you have a positive effect on the repartition of the masses of the car, so the same positive effect on its dynamics.

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 08:29
Originally posted by CoolCat CoolCat wrote:

In the real world the overall change you experience on your front end, changing from 6 to 8' caster is anything but miniscule, you almost have the feeling you have changed for another car!

So how much do I need to move the strut back? To achive a 2 degree change there will be quite some room needed in the strut tower.

Keep in mind that BMW has already added caster with the offset control arm bush. When does it get too much???
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Mike 90 M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 08:42

Come on Uwe. Trigonometry?

I don't know how long the strut is, but you probably do.

Sin 2 x strut length = distance moved backwards

If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough....
CoolCat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 09:53

I'd put it differently Uwe. I'd say in order to keep the mod that easy to do ( just the 3 holes ), just move the strut backwards as much as you can in the strut tower. You won't get too much caster in anyway.

One good idea would be to do so, and maybe you can move it also a bit to the inside, to add just a bit of camber ( 0.1 - 0.2 deg ). Would be my choice at least, to combine track days and road use.

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 09:59
Originally posted by Mike 90 M3 Mike 90 M3 wrote:

Come on Uwe. <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun; mso-ansi-: EN-GB; mso-fareast-: ZH-CN; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">Trigonometry</SPAN>?

<FONT face=Arial>I don't know how long the strut is, but you probably do.

<FONT face=Arial>Sin 2 x strut length = distance moved backwards

I know how much I can move it, but do you??

I want some numbers out of people, not assumptions. I do most of my mods in CAD, so you would be surprised how little room you have for things like this.

@coolcat: I don't want to drill additional holes in my car and haven't got a solution to do this any cheaper or better than a K-Mac mount does. So why re-invent the wheel?
I can set my camber up in the paddock while changing my tyres in very little extra time (and back). That was the main target. And no measuring equipment required!
Might not be super perfect, but this doesn't bother me.

Edited by UweM3
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 10:14
"@215DMX: in fact not any of the 2 possibilities, it is just a question of mass
repartition, don't even need to drive any of these cars to know...The six
cylinder is a heavy engine and is mounted more to the front of the car, so if
you do as I mentioned, you have a positive effect on the repartition of the
masses of the car, so the same positive effect on its dynamics."

I don't in any way assume that you don't know what you are talking about.
But to use your reasoning and just apply it carte blanche to all vehicles
mentioned without any testing, seems a little short sighted. All IMHO.

Pooky View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 12:22
Originally posted by CoolCat CoolCat wrote:

@ Pooky: obviously technical discussions are not something you like a lot. You prefer to tell THE TRUTH in one short contradictory or ironical phrase.
Well, 99% of "professionals" who are working with cars all their life long do not have an idea what a car is, so very good reference indeed.

Interesting comment. As you are not aware I have a masters in Automotive Engineering, spent a year doing a sort of vehicle dynamics apprenticeship, have now done vehicle dynamics development for 10 years since, my title is now 'subject matter expert - vehicle handling and steering development' for the company I work for, I am involved in detailed technical analysis on a daily basis using ADAMS and VEHDYNA, I must spend most of time driving and assessing cars with various development changes, I drive most competitors....etc etc. And a car is??????????????

Your suggestion that increasing castor as an alternative to camber and it having similar effects is wrong. Yes it has effects but they are different. The things you change on the car are different. You change many many things when you move the strut top back that you wont when you move it sideways. For a track if you want more camber then put more camber on. Simple. Changing the castor from 6 to 8 will make 1/10 of f all difference to the camber characteristic when you take an average corner. I was looking at this characteristic for the new M6 only two days ago. It has a change in camber of 0.13 deg per deg road wheel angle when you do a steering test. So, with a steering ratio of 16.9:1 and with a hand wheel angle of 100 deg the road wheel would have moved 5.9 deg so you would have an extra 0.76 deg of camber. Now lets increase that by 25% (going from 6 to 8 deg) and you will get an extra whopping 0.19 deg of camber. Thats a hell of a lot less than increasing the static camber by 1.5 deg by my measurements.

When you increase the castor the main thing you are doing is altering all the suspension geometry around the tyre's contact patch. You will put the tyre's contact patch further behind the point at which the kingpin axis crosses the ground. This is the trail. More trail means heavier steering plus LESS apparent steering feedback at the limit of grip. This is because as the tyre loses pneumatic trail during harder cornering the differences in torque around the kingpin axis will vary less as a percentage of the total trail, so it will be less apparent when the tyre is approaching and passing its limit of grip. This is one reason that the E30 has better steering feedback than the E36, but ultimately less of a feeling of high speed stability. Doing that to the E36 was BMW's choice at the time and they got it wrong.

CoolCat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 16:24

Well Pooky, really I am happy you gave this detailed answer ( for once a detailed one I was going to say...hmmm hmmm )
I understand you know what a car is ;) you could certainly teach me some things there...
But then why that nonsensical post "I've only being vehicle dynamics as a job for 10 years, so thank you for correcting me" when I was not correcting you, just saying I did not AGREE with your previous post that seemed to say a change in caster was useless.
If you would have taken time to do the post you have done now, we could have maintained an interesting technical discussion, for the benefit some friends of this forum, don't you think?

I admit I will not have your technical studies and knowledge, but maybe my experience has some modest interest, as I've spent 15 years building rally cars, and during a few years and I been driving in a major european tarmac rally championship, with some nice results, including some wins.
So please let me maintain that in terms of efficiency/feeling, I recommend putting a lot of caster on the M3.
In fact if you read well your posts and mine, you will see that basically you are now saying the same I was mentionning before. "More trail means heavier steering plus LESS apparent steering feedback at the limit of grip", more feeling of high speed stability...So?

Plus I am happy with your figures about the M6; they are the exact numerical proof of what I said. First going from 6 to 8deg caster is a 33% increase, not 25 ( but we all write these posts too quickly ;) ), and so will grant some 0,25 deg more camber according to your calculations.
Second, the tight bend in which you need camber, for which I had said "tight bend at grip limit at 70 km/h, then you will certainly have almost one full turn of the wheel". Well I will be nice with you and say you only need 3/4 of a turn of steering wheel, which is 270° ( if you can take these bends with only 100° at the wheel of an M3 you are a really serious driver in terms of rear end control...), and then according to your formula the result is an increase in camber of 0,68 deg, which is not bad, don't you think?

In fact again I disagree with you when saying BMW did a wrong choice with this, all the contrary in my opinion they should have gone further. I can guarantee my M3, with 0,7/0,8 deg camber and more than 8 deg caster, has lots more front end feel than standard at grip limit at any speed. Of course the bilsteins and fine ride height adjustment help in this, but...
How much do you run in yours? Did you try with more caster? If not try it and you will like it, I'm sure. Plus the benefit in braking power, which is welcome in an E36...

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2006 at 03:58
I believe the standard caster setting for a E30 M3 is
9* 8'   so you have less caster than standard then
Coolcat? or are you refering to a E36?
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2006 at 07:08
Originally posted by Pooky Pooky wrote:

[QUOTE=CoolCat]
For a track if you want more camber then put more camber on. Simple.

That's what I am doing! But because of the complexity of the subject I just don't want shoot in my own foot and leave the rest alone.

Just another thing to add to cool this discussion a bit down. Please keep in mind that there is NO optimal every driver suitable setup IMHO.
One driver is flying fast with a setup, but his team mate find it undrivable.
One driver is a smooth, late on the brake type the next one might prefer to drive more "round" and requires a completly different setup.

I am just an average driver and don't think that my weekend fun will be spoilt that much if my Kingpin angle is slightly out
Oh, and I don't drive to win a championship or to go home and tell eveybody I was fastest on the track today.
I am just doing it for FUN (and to have that I needed to add a bit more camber....)

Edited by UweM3
M3DTM View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2006 at 13:43

Mine has 1 degree of negative camber on the front and I must say uneven tyre wear isn't that much of a problem, turn in has  really improved.

John

A properly sorted E30 M3 is still 'King of the Ring'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic