Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedoff centre top mounts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 11:23

Road suspension is a compromise.  Don't confuse this with 'optimised'.  BMW's opinion on what people want isn't going to be right 100% of the time for everybody.  Some prefer stiffer, some softer.  The factory settings are what they feel the majority of us might want.

We should be aware that this doesn't mean it’s THE answer to a road set up.  If you're not happy with how it feels then I guess you should try something different.  If you don't like the added tyre wear you can add the mounts and decrease negative camber.

What is it that you're after Danny?  Please don't say a definitive road suspension set up. There isn't one, its too subjective.  Reading over this thread it seems tyre wear is your (or was your) main concern.  That's an easy one to fix.

I hope I'm not coming off too cold.  Just trying to get to the point and help if I can.

Take care,

Jake

Sponsored Links

Dannyboy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 11:52
I am trying to decrease tyre wear and get a bit more travel as the roads
around me are v bumpy.
1992 clio 1.8 16V Good
1998 Subaru Impreza Turbo Terzo Great
1987 M3 Diamond Black Awesome (Now awesomer with Billys & Eibach)
Pooky View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 12:00

Uwe, when you do a trackside adjustment of the top mount what do you do about the front toe setting?

As the strut top forms one end of the kingpin axis the steering arm is essentially attached to it. When you move the top mount inboard you're going to increase the toe-in on the front wheels a fair bit at the same time as the track rod length stays the same but the kingpin moves inboard.

I assume most race teams would have track side geometry kit to bring the toe back to a sensible setting again.

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 12:55
Pooky, i'm sure Uwe will chime in but i seem to remember he tested it and
there was hardly any toe change, might be wrong though.

Danny, what considered by many to be the best street set up, is the AC
Schnitzer set up, slightly lowered (around 25mm) sliighty stiffer ( ithink
171 fr, 340 re - progressive though) and revalved shocks. They also actually
bent the strut housing to achieve an extra 0.5 or of negative camber.
Plus bigger ARB's front and rear.

Driving a car with set up is supurb and a real difference to the std set-up,
but at a price ££££££££££££ !

Just ask Kevin, he's pretty handy on track with it too...

Edited by 215DMX
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 13:01
Originally posted by Pooky Pooky wrote:

Uwe, when you do a trackside adjustment of the top mount what do you do about the front toe setting?

To be honest, I just don't care!

As the strut top forms one end of the kingpin axis the steering arm is essentially attached to it. When you move the top mount inboard you're going to increase the toe-in on the front wheels a fair bit at the same time as the track rod length stays the same but the kingpin moves inboard.

Phew! My head is smoking after reading that.
Because it's very difficult to understand all the Kingpin stuff I took the car on a Supertracker and moved the mounts because I wanted to know what's happening.
Guess what? Toe changed so minimal that it was hardly to see on the scale

I assume most race teams would have track side geometry kit to bring the toe back to a sensible setting again.

Correct! But I am not a race team, and neither do I want to waste a lot of track time about 0.5 degrees (or even less!) which will not do any harm to my average driving skills.
I have been in Motorbike racing for 10 years and was running after every tenth behind the comma because I thought this is essential, but surprisingly I have had a few good races with my picked up after a crash bike with the settings all over the place

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the setup to be as good as it needs to be. But most off all I want to have fun on the track and not get stressed out by Kingpin and Ackermann (or whatever that bloke's name is )
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Mallorcaman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 13:20

Originally posted by Dannyboy Dannyboy wrote:

I am trying to decrease tyre wear and get a bit more travel as the roads
around me are v bumpy.

What size wheels do you have Danny? There is a big difference in ride quality between the 205/55/15 and the 225/45/16. A standard suspension setup with good quality components, ie factory springs, new Sachs or Bilstein dampers and 15" rims might be your best bet over rough roads. Especially if you need to survive the odd pothole.

I would still have the offset topmounts giving 30´extra negative camber though. It improves turn in significantly by reducing roll understeer. I have found that my car, with 2º negative camber still wears it`s tyres fairly evenly.

MALLORCAMAN
Putting the ///M in Mallorca
Pooky View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 13:41

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Phew! My head is smoking after reading that.
Because it's very difficult to understand all the Kingpin stuff I took the car on a Supertracker and moved the mounts because I wanted to know what's happening.
Guess what? Toe changed so minimal that it was hardly to see on the scale

Interesting, just wondered how small you mean. The toe tolerance is going to be between +/- 0.16deg from nominal setting, the car is quite sensitive to it.

We have just done some tyre wear investigations at work and come up with a max total toe-in setting of 0.5 deg (0.25 deg per side), there or there abouts depending on camber (any more and the steering feel goes a bit wonky anyway). The standard BMW setting already has a fair amount of toe-in to start with but I guess tyre wear just from one day is not really something to worry about.

The investigations did show that as you increase negative camber increasing toe-in at the same time does help with tyre wear, may be of use to people running lowered cars.

Edited by Pooky
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 13:49
I might be not sensitive enough, or the E30 is quite forgiving but even setting the toe to Zero didn't seem to make a huge difference to me compared to BMW's recommended setting. (not big enough to justify the tyre wear)
But I agree about the tyre wear, Zero toe and 2.5 deg camber didn't do too much good to my tyre's at the last years trip to the Ring and back
Mike 90 M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 15:17

I can't quite remember but doesn't the steering arm mount to pretty much the bottom of the strut? So it doesn't really move when the top of the strut it moved inboard.

If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough....
CoolCat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 15:46

Pooky and Uwe,
May I ask why you don't use caster to adjust your front end?
An important caster angle will help for both low tyre wear and more camber when cornering. So you have both positive effects you are looking for!

Plus you have better stability at high speeds.
Plus you have more braking power.

Any counterpoints? Well, a harder steering ( not a problem for me as generally too soft on standard cars ), and a front end that's a bit slower to react around straight position ( not a problem either ).

No one uses high caster value here? I can't remember how much I am running, should be around 8' or 8'30"...

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2006 at 17:23
Some of the e30 guys in Germany seem to running
with 1995 spec e36 M3 control arms, this pushes
the wheel forward in the wheel well to give extra
caster/ camber also another effect of this will be a
increase in the ackerman effect on the inside wheel
when cornering due the the geometry of the steering
arm changing. This will help to 'pull' you into the
corner when you first turn in.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 03:17
Originally posted by 215DMX 215DMX wrote:

Some of the e30 guys in Germany seem to running
with 1995 spec e36 M3 control arms, this pushes
the wheel forward in the wheel well to give extra
caster/ camber also another effect of this will be a
increase in the ackerman effect on the inside wheel
when cornering due the the geometry of the steering
arm changing. This will help to 'pull' you into the
corner when you first turn in.

@CoolCat: I try to keep it simple. I don't know what I am doing with caster, so I leave it alone. All I wanted was a quick, simple solution to add a bit of camber when running round a track. And I don't think it's soooo important for MY driving and I can't justify the time to get on and off the Supertracker each weekend.

@215DMX: I can tell you that the bloke's in Germany don't do the E36 control arm thing because they are thinking about the geometry and Ackermann. Most off them just want to squeeze fat tyres and fat brakes under the car. (well most of them, there are a few serious guy's there as well, but they do it the right way)
I get shivers down my spine when I read that sometimes they BEND the control arm just to get the wheel centred in the fender arch.(don't want to know how they pass the TUV inspection with that mix of parts)
I would take all that with a pinch of salt.

Edited by UweM3
CoolCat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 04:24
Yes Uwe, but putting a bit of caster would even be more simple than putting more camber...basically its the same mod you have to do: 3 holes.
You would have better effects than with camber PLUS you would not have to change anything when arriving at the track, since this is also of great mod for road use...
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 04:45
Originally posted by CoolCat CoolCat wrote:

Yes Uwe, but putting a bit of caster would even be more simple than putting more camber...basically its the same mod you have to do: 3 holes.You would have better effects than with camber PLUS you would not have to change anything when arriving at the track, since this is also of great mod for road use...

I think I need to post more pictures of the mount I fabricated for better explanation.
This is meant to be a quick adjustable mount. Nothing fancy or complicated.
It is based on the BMW rubber mount:
--to keep cost down
--didn't fancy solid mount on a road going car
--just wanted to add some more negative camber quick and dirty
--wanted to have a solution to revert settings back to stock WITHOUT taking the car on a alignment rig
--didn't wanted to butcher anything which can't be reverted back to stock.

I am not saying (and never said) this is the all signing and dancing solution of a adjustable top mount.
There is plenty good ones out there (K-Mac, Ground control)
But for myself I was looking for something less complicated and cheaper.
If someone else thinks this is the kind of mod he likes, I am happy to manufacture a few. But doens't mean this is the only way to do it.
Mike 90 M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 06:37

Yep Uwe what CoolCat is saying is that you could have all that, but instead of move the top of the strut inwards move it rearwards.

Giving an increase in caster rather than camber. So when the wheel turns you get move camber but straight ahead you get factory camber and no wear problems.

It's quite easy to visualise, with the strut leant back when the wheel moves round it the outside tyre gets more negative camber.

That's the theory anyway.

If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough....
Pooky View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 06:53

Don't get caught up in the suggestion that castor will do the same thing as camber, that's just not true. The effects on suspension geomtery are completely different.

In theory castor will give you more camber gain but the differences are absolutely miniscule. For a change in castor from 6 to 8 deg about 0.05 to 0.1 deg extra camber for your average corner.

CoolCat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 16:33

Can't agree with you Pooky, in the way that you present it al least.

In the real world the overall change you experience on your front end, changing from 6 to 8' caster is anything but miniscule, you almost have the feeling you have changed for another car!
And as you know, a bigger caster does so that the more you turn the wheels, the more camber variation you get, proportionaly.
That means yes, if your average corner is 1/8th of a turn of the steering wheel, you are right change will be almost non existent. But being in a corner at grip limit with 1/8th of a turn means your speed is somewhere around 250/270 km/h. A speed that requires almost no camber.
On the contrary, if you are in a tight bend at grip limit at 70 km/h, then you will certainly have almost one full turn of the wheel, and the variation in camber produced by the 6 to 8 caster mod will do for more than 0,5' aditional camber. And precisely this is when you need camber.
This is also another advantage of caster, it is sort of adaptative according to bends/speed...

Thanks Mike for putting it in simple words

Oh, one more thing about caster: on the M3, especially on the E36/E46, it is better to add it changing the rear mount of the wishbone than moving the top mount of the strut. On the E30 it is less important, or you can do both...

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 02:42
"Oh, one more thing about caster: on the M3,
especially on the E36/E46, it is better to add it
changing the rear mount of the wishbone than
moving the top mount of the strut. On the E30 it is
less important, or you can do both..."

Can I ask how you come to this conclusion, is by
testing of different configerations on all the cars
mentioned or by hearsay of others?
Pooky View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 02:50
Originally posted by CoolCat CoolCat wrote:

Can't agree with you Pooky, in the way that you present it al least.

In the real world the overall change you experience on your front end, changing from 6 to 8' caster is anything but miniscule, you almost have the feeling you have changed for another car!
And as you know, a bigger caster does so that the more you turn the wheels, the more camber variation you get, proportionaly.
That means yes, if your average corner is 1/8th of a turn of the steering wheel, you are right change will be almost non existent. But being in a corner at grip limit with 1/8th of a turn means your speed is somewhere around 250/270 km/h. A speed that requires almost no camber.
On the contrary, if you are in a tight bend at grip limit at 70 km/h, then you will certainly have almost one full turn of the wheel, and the variation in camber produced by the 6 to 8 caster mod will do for more than 0,5' aditional camber. And precisely this is when you need camber.
This is also another advantage of caster, it is sort of adaptative according to bends/speed...

Thanks Mike for putting it in simple words

Oh, one more thing about caster: on the M3, especially on the E36/E46, it is better to add it changing the rear mount of the wishbone than moving the top mount of the strut. On the E30 it is less important, or you can do both...

I've only being vehicle dynamics as a job for 10 years, so thank you for correcting me.

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2006 at 03:04
if someone gives me a few dimensions I can try to manufacture soemthing suitable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic