FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedexhaust system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhaust system
    Posted: 29-January-2006 at 17:12

Hi everyone, I havent posted for some time so with the risk of sounding redundant " happy new year and all that ".

Anyway my six is needing a new back box so any advice on suppliers would be much appreciated. I am thinking of either replacing the back box or possibly taking the plunge & going for a complete system i.e. stainless steel with new manifold depending on cost.

Sponsored Links

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2006 at 23:21

which model 6er do you have?

I bought a fritz's system (inc manifold) for my '87 chrome bumper car a couple of years ago. Cost about a grand. I posted my experiences on the bigcoupe website.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
DAT 635 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2006 at 04:33
Mine is an 88 highline which has the original exhaust, which is fine apart from the back box. Financially I know it will make sense to buy the back box in the short term but I just want some info on the pros & cons of replacing the whole system at this stage?
eta. View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2006 at 07:55
My view is that the original is the best. BM exhausts last a long long time.
siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2006 at 12:07

Hello!

I tried a lot of back boxes for my BMWs...I agree: BMWexhaust are the best for noise suppression and durability...

They cost a bit more than the other OEM brands, yep.It's not cheap, specially for late 635s...but if you look big and pay up, You will have no regrets for years...

Also I found (after a lot of rear boxes and money spent) some hint You should follow, as they are very effective(though they are a bit funny, for someone...anyway 1 example: my friend destroyed his first 1985 M635 back box after 6 months, after that time-end 1985-he bought only one box ...Now i'll tell you the tipps and tricks of this longlasting method.

1 after You fit the back box ,drill a hole (2-3 mm or 1/8 of an inch)at the bottom where the 2 pipes are getting in , You will notice that this is usually the lowest point of the rear box.Drill a hole ????On a brand-new-mega-dear box?Yes, the water condensation will drop from there,so there's no starvation inside...old trick but effective...

after You have drilled the hole I sprayed inside a "Liquid Zinc spray"(bought from BMW dealer) and I sprayed it into the hole...It's a strong spray product, and it avoids the rust to come on ...

Then , when I do not  use the car I always cover the two chromed pipe with 2 "plugs" made of wadding , that I previously drown in engine oil(not old oil, as the sulphur content in the old oil will destroy the chrome of pipes)....

huh, Do't forget : NEVER , during winter storage, turn on engine and warm up the car in your garage, or the moisture(right?my english is bad , as usual...) will never come out from the rear box totally , so after 6 months You'll find an other hole in your rear exhaust box(also in your wallet!!!)

My friend , since the end of 1985 , use this method to his M635 exhaust...I woudn't believe it, but it's the same box in 20 years( I read the production date stamped by Boysen those days)...And it's quiet as it was new, no rust , no other problems...the car is pampered and it's used rarely(46k kms since new)

Your wheather is not so friendly as our one  in Italy(despite we have now 60 cms of snow on the streets...)  and the we had no bog salt on the motorways, or small roads...but the salt will ruin the box from the outside, not from the inside...

Hoping that this helps

Francesco

Edited by siscobmw
Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2006 at 13:14
Francesco Good tip, thanks
Robert Born
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2006 at 14:57
Originally posted by siscobmw siscobmw wrote:

Drill a hole ????On a brand-new-mega-dear box?

You'd need some balls to do that at £500 a pop!!!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2006 at 02:53

"You have  some balls,but no brain at all" is what my father said after he saw that hole....But after he admitted that he saved a lot of money,and  he changed his mind(about the trick, not about my brain...).

Francesco

Edited by siscobmw
DAT 635 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2006 at 08:05

Cheers for that Francesco, if I replace the back box I would go for BMW part but I was thinking along the lines of an upgraded system with manifold, I have spoken to Fritz,s Bits & they are asking £1150 + vat.

I am looking for the pros & cons in fitting an upgrade apart from the obvious one of cost difference?

Edited by DAT 635
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2006 at 09:31

The BMW system from the down pipes back is around £550 all in. The fritz manifold is around £500. My advice would be to go with the Manifold as it's significantly better than the original one. As for the exhaust the genuine BMW will sit lower on the car as it's square rather than round on the fritz and other systems.

I have found about 5 different options for the exhaust, but only 2 real option for the manifold.

Genuine BMW Cast Iron Manifold = £400 inc vat

Fritz Manifold = £500 + Vat

Genuine BMW system £500 + Vat

Fritz System £550+vat. They claim you will get 20+BHP more power, but i don't think it makes any more difference then around 5bhp.

Larini Sport System £600+vat Very quiet stainless steel system and can be tuned to liking

Supersprint Stainless £500 Inc Vat Well known exhaust supplier offering performance exhaust, but manifold will not fit RHD cars.

Custom Exhaust manufacturer £500 - £1000. Any tailpipe, any sound you like, not necaserily a performance gain.

Euro/German and swedish crap timex/bosal exhaust 2 year life span £250

Remember a stainless system will be significantly noisiey then a mild steel system, You can also get a fair amount of cabin boom from a stainless system.

My set up is the fritz manifold and genuine BMW exhaust. If i was to do the exhaust again i would be very tempted to get one built to spec, but i exspect the best system would be to have the Fritz manifold, the Genuine BMW back box and do without the centre section box as it catches all the speed bumps and have a stainless steel straight through pipe going to the back box from the stainless headers.

Hope this helps

James

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2006 at 10:13

Everything I would have wrote to you, dear DAT635 , is been wrote by Sohlman....Very good and complete!

SiSco From Italy

PS: My friend tried to do the same system as original BMW parts, but made of stainless steel....A complete nightmare cause the strange shape of the boxes( he was able to get the same really shapes, it was really similar!!)....and the noise was however noticeably more than stock system,even if filled up with the same noise deadening material...What a fuss.....

Francesco

Edited by siscobmw
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2006 at 14:22

to the above I would add that the highline exhaust manifold is significantly better than the 82-87 'tractor' version, so would not be high on my list of priorities to change until I'd done a load of other stuff.

Buts its all a matter of opinion. What is the case is that some aftermarket systems can be fitted in pieces to OE stuff, others can't, and have to replaced en masse.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
286bhp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2006 at 03:08

Agreed about the gen. system - My father had a 535i E28 for 13 years, we only ever replaced the back box - it was too late for the hole trick, which, incidentally I was told about by a master tech at L & C Tunbridge wells as common practice to get the most life out of the exhaust.  Surely 17 years life from a £500.00 system speaks volumes about a system's quality. Certain cars need a standard system IMHO , espcially a special car like a Highline. Agreed with James about a decent header on the early cars, the manifold restriction around the steering column is quite nasty!

Cheers for now

Phil 

'01 M5
'02 MB C220 Turbosmoker
'99 323i (sold )
'89 M3 220hp with shrick 284's
'73 2002 cab   

it's an Illness ......
DAT 635 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2006 at 06:10

Thanks for that chaps!!

So correct me if I`m wrong, if my original system is OK apart from the back box, & the manifold is 1988 highline, I should be leaving the exhaust & manifold alone & replace the back box with an original BMW part & get some clear instructions on the hole drilling caper?

If this is the case do I try the dealers or are there any particular suppliers of original exhaust parts & how much should I be looking to pay for a back box?

as allways thanks for the input...........

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic