Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHartge suspension?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hartge suspension?!
    Posted: 02-December-2002 at 15:45

Having driven the sport evo I have now decided to buy (I can't remember who said the evo thing was an easily caught illness but I can only agree!) I found it has been fitted with a Hartge suspension kit - lovely I thought that's got to be worth a few bob but it seems to make the car pitch noticably over certain bumps that I know my standardly suspended car would have no probs with. OTOH it went round corners absolutely fantastically, so controllable all the way, awesome.

Any ideas chaps!? Is this common?

Is this one of those "oh they all do that sir" moments?

And how are you supposed to pronounce Hartge anyway, if someone could describe this to me phonetically Iwould be most grateful...

Sponsored Links

Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2002 at 18:49

Are you confusing 'pitch' with stiffness.

Perhaps the settings are too stiff to allow the bumps to be absorbed. A bit like driving over a speed hump... a soft car will stay flat and the suspension moves... a stiff car will rise and then fall in time with the profile of the hump.... and this may be why it sticks like a limpet around corners.

Hartge... two syllables 'heart-grrr'

Nick

jaseb View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2002 at 08:43

Cheers Nick

It was more like the rear was too soft and didn't handle the bump as well as the front giving the impression that the rear was almost bouncing.

Thinking (well writing) out loud, it felt that the rear "rebound" settings are too low and not damping the spring as the wheel travels down after going over a bump bouncing the back of the car up and giving a pitching motion.

Are heart-grrr adjustable anyone? But I guess double adjustable would be too much to ask anyway...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic