Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWorried ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worried ?
    Posted: 26-January-2006 at 07:36

I've changed out the Economy/Sport switch on my 525SE and it still refuses to sit in Economy. E comes up on the dash and then reverts immediately to S. Question, when swapping the switch I noticed another push fit plug lying in the void beneath where the switch was housed...what's it for and should it be plugged in anywhere ?? Also, how do I remove the handle on the auto stick so that I can have a look at why the lever seems to be sticking ?? Many thanks !

Sponsored Links

georigg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2006 at 09:50

Martin,

The top handle on the gear selector is held in place with a small allen key-type grub screw.

Look at the back of the handle(the side that is furthest away from you as you sit in the car), you should find a small hole about 1/*" dia.

From memory the allen key you will need is about 2-3mm. Screw out the grub screw enough to release the top bit from the lever and lift off.

Pry out the wood or leatherette covered cover(its usually held in with clips) and that will take you fasr enough into the selector to check if the selector rod from lever to gearbox has come adrift. It may also have come adrift at the gearbox end - need to get under to check, but be careful going under a car, if only using the jack!!!!!!!

Ging View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2006 at 18:43

i'm guessing ur talkin about an e34

mine also had a spare conector in this area, i belive it is for the reverse light on a manaul model

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic