Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2006 at 12:14
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

I hate burglary.

But the fact is a very small proportion of Police resources are put into traffic enforcement compared to crimes like burglaries.

More of the same.

Quote A 92-year-old man whose car was stolen was blackmailed by youths who came to his home and demanded £50 to return it.

And when he stalled the youths to buy some time so that the police could swoop and arrest them, no officers arrived in time.

Not even when they're on a plate.

I'd imagine none were available

Mr coleman admits the car was stolen after he left the keys inside after parking outside the chip shop

Doesn't sound like it was that important to him gauging by how he handed it to them on a plate & invalidated any insurance policy claim.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
Sponsored Links

spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2006 at 12:58

Doesn't sound like it was that important to him gauging by how he handed it to them on a plate & invalidated any insurance policy claim.

Your sympathetic response to a 92-year-old being robbed is duly noted.

It's exactly the kind of thing that makes me wonder why I pay for a police force.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2006 at 14:52

Your sympathetic response to a 92-year-old being robbed is duly noted.

It's exactly the kind of thing that makes me wonder why I pay for a police force.

Don't believe it says anywhere that he was robbed (or burgled come to that, which is what my original quoted statement talked of a distaste for).

I merely made an observation as to how little regard he actually exhibited for the vehicles safety & security, in stark contrast to the emphasis of it's importance to him in the report.

He is of course still entitled to expect the Police to deal with the matter & in an ideal world there would always be a Police officer waiting to deal immeadiately with any problem each of us had, but that is not possible in the real world. It is unreasonble to expect that, such are the demands on the Police service & they wouldn't be able to provide a Police officer to sit at his house for an indeterminable amount of time waiting for someone to return his car. After all his asking them to "return later" could mean any time at their convenience (if at all.) It would appear they did  by chance after 45 minutes in this case, there is however nothing to suggest in the report that this time frame was to be expected.

You pay for the Police service like we all do, because you have no choice, it comes from taxes that you can't legally evade. We have no choice in the matter.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2006 at 15:10

Indeed taht's what they do.
Say 60 in a 30 & they think in a quiet residential side street with children playing.
There are however 30's in very different circumstances where at certain times speeds higher than 60 could be safe. (I can think of some) but I at the sametime can see the reason why it's a 30, because of the problems that occur at other times.

And because of who lives on that road..
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2006 at 15:16
Originally posted by scarface scarface wrote:

Indeed taht's what they do.
Say 60 in a 30 & they think in a quiet residential side street with children playing.
There are however 30's in very different circumstances where at certain times speeds higher than 60 could be safe. (I can think of some) but I at the sametime can see the reason why it's a 30, because of the problems that occur at other times.

And because of who lives on that road..

If indeed anybody does, not all 30mph limited roads are residential after all.
Mine & mine alone.
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2006 at 15:25
I was talking about the sp****ly populated roads around here, not may houses but a lot of money and influence, hence the speed limits are reduced outside their houses.  We're not talking blackspots either.  
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2006 at 15:26
Oops, it thinks I said ****!
whitey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2006 at 03:49

You pay for the Police service like we all do, because you have no choice, it comes from taxes that you can't legally evade. We have no choice in the matter.

Yeah shame that isn't it!. It's also a shame that we're not listened to with respect to what the money's spent on or consulted on the fines / discipline dished out to police staff getting away with things that normal members of the public wouldn't.

Is it any wonder that the police force is held in such low regard?

If I buy a dishwasher and it's rubbish, I take it back and complain as I've spent money and not got the standard of service expected. Try to complain about the value for money we get on wasted tax and it constantly falls on deaf ears.

Edited by whitey
2000 e39 523i with full factory sport kit.
1989 e30 325i Convertible
1999 Golf GTI 1.8T
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2006 at 04:06
Originally posted by whitey whitey wrote:

Yeah shame that isn't it!. It's also a shame that we're not listened to with respect to what the money's spent on or consulted on the fines / discipline dished out to police staff getting away with things that normal members of the public wouldn't.

Is it any wonder that the police force is held in such low regard?

If I buy a dishwasher and it's rubbish, I take it back and complain as I've spent money and not got the standard of service expected. Try to complain about the value for money we get on wasted tax and it constantly falls on deaf ears.

Not true.

How have you personally tried to influence these things ?

The Police are accountable to the public & public views are listened to. Of course every single persons view can't be accounted & catered for, but our Police only Police by a general consensus of consent.
Firstly *we* elect the government that decides a great deal of what the Police can or can't do.
The government *we* elect have the power to change the laws we have to live under & the laws/regulations that Police have to operate under.
The governments *we* elect control how much money the Police are given from *our* taxes.

Other bodies such as "The local Police authority" & "Police consultative groups" have a direct say in the shaping & running of local Police services. These are not run by the Police they are run by the community. The Police authority select the ACPO rank officers that run the constabulary for them (& ultimately *you*), with the government ratifying those selections (who *we* elected to do such things for us)

Courts have to operate under guidelines for issung fines & sentences and in the case of Police personnel, where the  circumstances indicate that they have abused a position of trust through dishonesty, they can expect a harsher sentence than would be normal because of those mitigating circumstances.
Of course if you are not proved guilty of an offence there is no fine or sentencing.
Whilst the Police & the courts are part of the same justice system they are quite independent of one another.
Police also have the double jeopardy of internal discipline proceedures.

The IPCC (Independent Poilce Complaints Commission) will investigate the most serious cases alleged against the Police  Again independent of the Police & representing the community.
It is possible to complain about Police action/inaction (just like with your washing machine.)

Now of course, if in answer to the question I posed at the start of this post, you haven't taken the time to avail yourself of the opportunities that currently exist within the community to express your views to the Police & help shape Police priorities & Policing plans, that is down to you.
If you want to be heard you have to take part, it's no good complaining nobody listens to you if you aren't prepared to make the effort to be heard.

Taxes are a price we all have to pay for privilege of elected government, so that *we* do have a say in how *our* country is run & policed.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
whitey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2006 at 14:52

1. How have you personally tried to influence these things ?

2. Firstly *we* elect the government that decides a great deal of what the Police can or can't do.
The government *we* elect have the power to change the laws we have to live under & the laws/regulations that Police have to operate under.
The governments *we* elect control how much money the Police are given from *our* taxes.

3. If you want to be heard you have to take part, it's no good complaining nobody listens to you if you aren't prepared to make the effort to be heard.

1. Oh I have and have NOT been listened to re the way people drive in the country lane that i live in. I requested that as it was a residential area with young children present, they may wish to patrol it once in a while. I may as well have been speaking to an alien. Again when things stragely go missing at night and the Police don't want to know then either. AND when my wifes debit card got cloned and we even had the address the goods were delivered to when the goods were niether bought nor paid for by us.

2. Don't get me going on this one! YOU may have elected this damn government but I can sleep very well at night knowing I had bugger all to do with putting that idiot Blair in control

3. See no.1. I've tried. But still I see them playing underhanded cards in unmarked Subarus making easy money. When the going gets tough, where are they then? When they get an enquiry..........do i get a satisfactory response? No. 

I don't think this thread is going anywhere. The next time I see an unmarked car I will post again the make and area it was in. As your sig says, you have your views, as I and many others on here, have ours.

Edited by whitey
2000 e39 523i with full factory sport kit.
1989 e30 325i Convertible
1999 Golf GTI 1.8T
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2006 at 16:26

1. Oh I have and have NOT been listened to re the way people drive in the country lane that i live in. I requested that as it was a residential area with young children present, they may wish to patrol it once in a while. I may as well have been speaking to an alien. Again when things stragely go missing at night and the Police don't want to know then either. AND when my wifes debit card got cloned and we even had the address the goods were delivered to when the goods were niether bought nor paid for by us.

Complaining about the way some people drive or alleging offences is not what shapes Police policy on matters. Becoming part of the mechanism is.

2. Don't get me going on this one! YOU may have elected this damn government but I can sleep very well at night knowing I had bugger all to do with putting that idiot Blair in control

I didn't actually either.
I was of course talking a collective *we*.
Because we are a democaracy *we* as the electorate are responsible for using our vote & who *we* as a collective vote into power.

3. See no.1. I've tried. But still I see them playing underhanded cards in unmarked Subarus making easy money. When the going gets tough, where are they then? When they get an enquiry..........do i get a satisfactory response? No. 

I don't think this thread is going anywhere. The next time I see an unmarked car I will post again the make and area it was in. As your sig says, you have your views, as I and many others on here, have ours.

Unmarked cars have been around as long as there have been Police cars & I personally think they will always be around as long as we have them. As I said earlier complaining about how people drive down your road, is not part of the mechanism that decides Police policy.

Yes please do post threads like this, because they will serve to encourage people to think about their speed on roads & deter them from speeding in case the unmarked car is there (which of course is the idea )

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2006 at 16:59

spelling error here? should be an a not an o ??
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2006 at 09:18

It's always embarrassing for a spelling nazi to get caught out.
Ciao,
Spokey

T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2006 at 12:23

bloody hell... That was a novel to work through!

A guy I know had a fella in his rear view mirror one night flashing him for ages and generally hassling him even though there was plenty of room to pass. Of course, seeing as he had his brand new Clio 172 which were just out at the time, after a mile he decided the best way to deal with the situation was to increase speed to around 75-80mph, & then when the car behind persisted with the tailing and flashing he went up to 125mph and left the car for dead. Alas, it was an unmarked Mondeo and they pulled him further down the road and told him they'd see him in court and a ban was on the way. (In the end he got a fine & endorsment)

Same road, another mate in a 106 Rallye, and he blasted past a bunch of cars when the road split into 2 lanes for a long uphill stretch. Kept it lit for a good while around 100mph+. Several miles later when he hit the suburbs and the traffic caught up, a Corolla behind threw on lights, pulled him in, and said "I didn't know what's under the bonnet of that car, but you'd want to calm it down a bit".

At the end of the day, there is a speed limit, it is law, and if you want to break it, ya have to accept consequences. Tis simple really. Police officers are human, just like the rest of us. I'd like to see us subjected to the same scrutiny in every nuance of our job from technical knowledge, people skills, dealing with Joe Public with what are contentious issues etc. It wouldn't be long before the cracks would emerge in our execution on occasion, me thinks.

As an enthusiast who likes to explore and enjoy the limits of his car, speed limits suck. But there are so many lousy drivers and cars out there too, thank God there is some formal limit to the speed they can legitimately carry. I don't want to be on a single lane road with and 80mph limit & some ropey Cavalier behind driven by a chain-smoking mother of 8 who is trying to swing a bag of oranges to beat her eldest with, while simultaneously texting on a Burberry-covered phone to her jailed boyfriend that she's got his little bag of whizz for their next conjugal visit. Keeping everything at 50 is just fine, thanks.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic