FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTrue Running costs of an e39 m5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: True Running costs of an e39 m5
    Posted: 12-January-2006 at 18:22

So, who has one and what are their running costs like?

From MPG to major failures.

Do the 5litre lumps suffer from Vanos issues as well?

I have heard they do?

Cheers

Edited by Rags
Sponsored Links

///Mister_G View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 03:44

In a simple word; expensive.

Group 20 insurance - expensive. (£1000?ave)

400hp V8 - expensive fuel bills (£60 per week for under 300 miles)

Any repairs out of warranty will be phenomenally expensive.

Yes, it has been known to suffer vanos issues.

That aside.... what a car

Avus E36 M3.0
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 04:36
What's wrong these days?
BMW's flagship engine needs 5 Liter, 32 Valves, 4 Vanos units (which seem to fail?????) and god knows wahtelse to put out 400bhp and demanding huge service bills.

Than look a Waynes US V8. half the valves, ONE cam, pushrods, slightly less bhp(which can be rectified for not much money!),NO fancy Vanos and the bl***dy thing doesn't even need a service!!!
And if you need to rebuild an engine you can't stop grinning reading the price list for the parts.

I am sure you wouldn't even get the gaskets for the M5 engine for rebuild cost of the US V8.

Ok fuel consumption might be worse the the M5, but does it matter with all the money saved for service bills, warrantee's and repairs?
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 05:20
Beware major engine failure! I can't remember exactly but my friend's M5 needed a whole new engine at 40,000 miles  - luckily under warranty - approx £11,000.
bmwcrazy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1995 M5,1995 318ISE,1997 325

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 05:24
million pound a day but what a car would have one no problem

David321 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 05:43

Would be interested in some feedback as well - it's on my radar as the next M power investment...

Can indepedants cope with it, or is it computer meltdown for every single problem?

How about tyres, pads, discs and inpection I & II costs?

E36 M3 Evo - Techno Violet
Previous & current rides...
Fushion Julz View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 05:56
Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

What's wrong these days?
BMW's flagship engine needs 5 Liter, 32 Valves, 4 Vanos units (which seem to fail?????) and god knows wahtelse to put out 400bhp and demanding huge service bills.

Than look a Waynes US V8. half the valves, ONE cam, pushrods, slightly less bhp(which can be rectified for not much money!),NO fancy Vanos and the bl***dy thing doesn't even need a service!!!
And if you need to rebuild an engine you can't stop grinning reading the price list for the parts.

And you forgot the weight factor...The US motor weighs about the same as an S14 4cyl BMW plant!
1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
Dave F View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 05:57

M5 suffers from the same dual vanos unit failures as the E36 Evo, expect to pay £5000 to have these replaced if they fail, which they do rather often. They also eat air flow meters, expect to pay around £500 for a pair of these. All this and a running cost that exceeds even the already expensive M3 models and you have your self a lead weight hung around your neck..

What a car though, just buy it!!!!

1999 M3 Evo Convertible.

Induction kits Available.
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 06:10

Tyres - £100 per corner

Brakes - Not overly expensive, around £500 all in?

Oil Service - <£200

Inspec1 - <£300

Inspec2 - <£500 (indy guides)

An independant could do it with no problem... not all of them, but a lot. Mastertech's can prove useful though.

The potential costs of repair means warranty only, unless you are a very brave & skilled mechanic.

Avus E36 M3.0
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 06:22
Originally posted by Fushion Julz Fushion Julz wrote:

And you forgot the weight factor...The US motor weighs about the same as an S14 4cyl BMW plant!

That's not confirmed yet as far as I know.
Can you give some RELIABLE figures?
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Robstar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 10:31
I bought an 01/00 E39 M5 in November last year. As a guide:

MPG - I've never bettered 25.9 on a motorway run (75-80 MPH). You can go out for a nice run around some A/B roads and go fast enough to put a smile on your face and get 20. I live 1 mile from my daily commute train station and in that mile it does 8 MPG. Needless to say I now walk...

VANOS - I didn't realise it at the time, but mine is in need of a repair. It had some repairs on it 8,000 miles ago at a cost of £2,850 and something minor(ish) is wrong with it now. I would think you could expect some trouble with it during your ownership.

Oil consumption - Mine does use oil, even though the guy I bought it from said it didn't. No problems, though. Apparently cars manufactured after 03/00 didn't suffer so much of this.

Tyres - 245s on the front and 275s on the rear. Always buy from an independent.

Air metering - Mine suddenly detected a problem and shut half the engine down. The BMW techie put it down as a one off and it hasn't happened since.

If I were you, DO NOT under ANY circumstances buy one without a BMW warranty. You'll most likely end up regretting it and it costs £975 a year, at the moment. You do need to take it to a BMW dealer to get serviced, though. Insurance for me (33, no points, two claims in last 5 years) is just over £1,000.

But, what a car!!!! Awesome amounts of power and torque. Running costs are high, but for a car of that performance you're not going to get it for nothing.

Edited by Robstar
foxworth View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 10:33

i had an e39 for 2 years - had quite a few things go wrong and without the warranty i would estimate it would've cost me £10k or so in the two years to do all the bits they did for free.

Its a truly great car though, very finely balanced, never wanting for power (even at silverstone!) and when coupled with a good exhaust system is possibly the best sounding engine BM has made for the road. (see july 2005 BMW car, my car was featured)

The brakes are ok for the road if youre a 'normal' m5 driver. If you like to reach the upper ends of the performance the brakes can suffer on repeated hard stops. Track day on standard brakes is tough unless youre and excellent driver and can carry silly speeds through corners. I opted for some Stoptech 4 pots on the front with two sets of pads to switch between, and they were much better.

i sold mine 3mths ago, and although i miss it, it was a pricey hobby - but then when you have the engine & performance specs that this car has, and you compare it with similar supercars, the costs aren't too outrageous.

Servicing at BMW was reasonably priced (supply own oil ;o))

Standard tyres used to cost me £125 for front and £150 for rear if you shop about.

Any other questions im happy to answer, just ensure you buy one with a BM or aftermarket warranty to ensure u dont tiptoe the whole time!

cheers

piers

ste_nelson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 11:47

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

What's wrong these days?

Emissions regulations and drive-by noise regulations.

SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2006 at 03:30

I think foxworth has the point though.  You have to compare it against something like a 612 Saglietti or a mase Quattroporte if you want a fair comparison in terms of what is on offer, and they are terrifying cars to run.

There's always the old man's Mercedes AMG.  It has the power and the badge, but in my personal opinion anything with a three pointed star younger than about 10 years is a PoS.

I looked at an M5 fairly seriously a while back, but I came to the conclusion I would resent spending what it would take to run it properly, and backed off. I would say the only person who could reasonably buy one without a warranty is someone who owns a dealership!

One hell of a car though.

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
M5Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2006 at 17:44

I bought my 99 model e39 M5 in 08/02 with about 30k on the clock.  It's now on 98k through daily use and I still love it.

Basic numbers:
Average consumption is 20mpg
Servicing numbers above are about right
Insurance £680 fully comp (44 full NCB, low risk area, every advanced driving discount going, tracker)
Front tyres £280/pair, Rear tyres £350/pair
Bad oil habit (drinks a litre/1k, dealer says that's "normal")

It's not had anything really serious go wrong although it's recently had various new sensors, aircon belt and front disks (it's first).  

I suspect that few M5s have such a hard life as mine since I really have done 65k in 3.5 years in all weathers on all roads.  It stands up to this use extremely well and the only failure was a result of a tyre valve failure and the lack of a spare tyre.  Otherwise it's been fantastic and I intend to keep it for a while..... until I can afford an e60 M5.

stephenperry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2006 at 17:51
Originally posted by ///Mister_G ///Mister_G wrote:

Tyres - £100 per corner

maybe for cheap korean brands...decent rubber costs much more than that!!

e.g. the previous owner of my car (which uses the same profile of tyres as the m5 - 235/40/18 front 265/35/18 rear) shelled out over £700 for a set of Michelin Pilot Sports

you don't put cheap tyres on a car like an m5

i've just checked the price at kwik-fit... front £418/pair & rear £486/pair

Edited by stephenperry

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
SeeSure View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2006 at 18:06

19 months ownership and no warranty !!

Have put 42k miles on it that time, just changed the tyres last set did 37k miles at the rear and the fronts I have no idea as they were already on the car. All 4 were £613 fitted, Dunlop SP 9000. (245/40/18 front 275/35/18 rear)

I use an Indy who charges about £130 for Oil Service and £180 for Insp 1 and Insp 2 was about £400. Service Intervals are roughly about 16k miles.

Litre of oil last about 2500 miles. But have heard of others using a litre in less than a 1000.

I changed the discs and pads all round when I first got the car for £500.

Fuel consumption is running at 23.5 mpg and that is based on an average speed of 48.6mph.

Horror stories abound but as yet I've been lucky, nothing that justifies the price of the warranty especially as it's due to go up big time.

Insurance is'nt too bad £732 (14 months) fully comp for business use.

There are quite a few around at the moment at great prices, test drive a few and then let your heart decide

Edited by SeeSure
SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2006 at 03:02

SeeSure - you must have one of those Guardian Angels from the Polo advert!  Brave man to run such a car without warranty coverage.

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
SeeSure View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2006 at 04:04
Originally posted by SFH3L SFH3L wrote:

SeeSure - you must have one of those Guardian Angels from the Polo advert!  Brave man to run such a car without warranty coverage.

LOL

In June 2004 I paid £22.5k for a Jan 2001 car with only 29k miles, it was £10-12k+ under trade price, well worth the risk. Smiled all the way to the bank. Seller needed the cash.

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2006 at 06:03
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

Originally posted by ///Mister_G ///Mister_G wrote:

Tyres - £100 per corner

maybe for cheap korean brands...decent rubber costs much more than that!!

you don't put cheap tyres on a car like an m5

Sounds like some brand snobbery going on.

I used to think in a similar way until I was offered a trial of some dubious brand tyres (for free but retails at well under £80 per conrner on my m3).

The pilot sports which were on it previously caught me out a couple of times due to their breakaway, these ones track better, are quieter, are far more stable in the wet and were fitted by a local motorsport racing tyre company. Wear is to be seen, but everything else has impressed greatly so far.

Don't believe all you read and do some experimenting yourself

Avus E36 M3.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic