Forum Lockedsnow driving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: snow driving
    Posted: 28-December-2005 at 09:07

any drifting around today?

i was out in it but after a while had to turn back as too many cars on the road which had been bumped so i quit while ahead.

could of done with some DSC.

REMEMBER- POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT KELLY REMOULDS
E30 325 Sport - Gone but not forgotten
E36 M3 evo
Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Piece
Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2005 at 11:49
Pulled out of the drive into the fore-court where I live and drifted nicely round the corner. Then drifted in a straight line down the slope to the road (with wheels on full lock to slow me down) Then drifted out onto the road - from then on it was ok as the gritter had been.

There are some back roads where I live to get to the A59 (took other half to work in Harrogate this morning as bus was late and you can't count on the trains working - frozen points etc.) I didn't dare use them so had to go the long way round. Have now swapped cars round so will be using hers as its a 4x4..

V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
320ci View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 03:19
Its all good driving fun. It certainly wakes you up after a night shift.
pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 07:05

ive been down to a huge car park today for some  .drifting has never been so much fun

i had a few dog walkers etc looking at me and most probs thought i was some lune .but hey boys and toys and all that

its a dogs world out there
baur320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 09:58

We were out in the M3 on Tuesday and got stuck near Ebchester. Pressing on a bit down a clear lane until we went over a small hill - straight into a blizzard. Car skidded to a stop in a school entrance with fortunately no damage. Couldn't get back up the hill though as the wheels spun - SMG defaulted to 2nd, but couldn't get 3rd. Even tried getting the missus to sit in the boot to increase the traction - still didn't work. 

Thanks go to the owner of the Anchor at Whittonstall who towed us out. Cheers mate.

Current E30 325i, E36 M3 Evo,
Previous E21 320/4, E9 3.0 CSA, E12 525, E30 320i, E28 528i, E34 535is, E30 318i, E28 525e, E30 325i Touring, E30 Baur 327i
Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2006 at 20:35
Problem is that you all have such wide wheels. Never had any problems in my old Morris Minor van, but the 728 has such fat tyres. Nowadays people do not know how to drive in snow, mainly because we don't have much anymore, so they don't get chance to learn, and also there is too much traffic.

To show my age, I can remember when it always snowed about a foot in the October half term, and several times more during the rest of the winter. With global warming that is now a thing of the past.

If you get any proper snow, fit some winter tyres on a set of narrow wheels. I understand that it is compulsary in Germany. Or fit some snow chains. - I have a set for my wife's E30, which is what we use in the snow.

Trouble is that when the snow runs thin, they wear out quickly, so you have to take them off. Snow studs are another alternative that many people who live near me use - we are 1100 feet up, so we get a bit more snow than most.

1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
StuB View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Z Head

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2006 at 08:56

The X3 was great in the snow we had in Howden (about 3") and over the A66 up to Scotland. 

It then did great service taking 4 of us, loads of luggage and a roofbox full of skis the 1760 miles from Yorkshire upto 3500' high into the French Alps.  At one point on the road up into the mountains near Bourg Saint Maurice, the gendarmes pulled all cars into a layby to make sure they all fitted their chains, but waved us through (even though I was happy to stop & fit our chains too), so I thought we'd see how far we got on the fresh snow falling on icy roads.  Sailed up to the hotel no problem at all, even pulling away from a standstill on steep inclines.

Amazing what all this new fangled technology can to, even with 235 tyres with road-oriented tread patterns Howard!

Boost baby, BOOST!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic