Forum LockedTrack car comming along very slowly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Track car comming along very slowly
    Posted: 22-December-2005 at 17:32

After attending a better driving day/track day this year i came to a couple of decisions.

Firstly there was no way i wanted to take my six on a track as i was scared that i was going to brake it / bend it

Secondly that i needed to do some.

So in the summer i bought an E30 325i sport and have been aquiring parts for it ever since. I ended up buying another shell as the 325 sports was a bit wrotten, a one owner 100,000 mile 325i non se that i ca transfer all the good sport bits to. Anyway i now have an Omp roll cage, carbon bonnet, 2 FIA bucket seats, Carbon rear bumper, A speare set of alloys and thats about it.

Since buying the car i have not had too much time to get things done, but today i spent a day on it. I have stripped out all the seats, carpets, vinyl, headlining, sunroof, and internally it's a bear shell.

Over January i plan to cut out the inner lining of the sunroof, fix the slight damage to the rear of the car, repair the one rust spot under the carpet and fit the cage. I hope to have the car finished and painted up by March 2006 My plan is to be a regular visiter to the better driving days in 2006. The hope is that 2006 is the year of the track day for me.

James

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
Sponsored Links

Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 18:54
You'll be wanting an entry form for Croft'06 then?
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2005 at 16:31

Probable will do, but want to ensure the car is up and ready before entering and paying for any days.

James

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2006 at 12:15
sounds interesting, presumably kept road legal too james?
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2006 at 12:39

Road legal in the broadest sense.

Once completed i will take the car to an MOT station and get an MOT to prove that the car can pass. However i will not be using the car on the road as i am making a proper track car thats going to be noisey and uncomfortable. I will insure it for each event individually and keep it in a garage the rest of the time.

I have got on a bit further with it now. I have now removed the sunroof, headlining, carpets and every unessasery screw, bolt, clip that i can see. I am sure there are more, but not many. I have ripped out a good number of wires and cables to that are not needed. Other than leaving the basic dash, most of the under dash has been removed.

My friend who is building the car with me is taking a week off work and will be cutting out any un needed steel in the roof, welding in a plate of 2mm thick steel to cover the hole, cutting out any rust and replacing with steel, welding in the cage, adding a few more cross members and supports to the cage. Then it's a touch of filler to smooth out any areas, and off to the paint booth to be sprayed. Whilst my friend is doinf all the welding work which he is good at, i will be removing all the glass as i can do that, rubbing down of the external paint ready for painting, stripping the wheels down ready for painting etc.

Will need to buy some bonnet pins and some pins for mounting of the front and rear spoilers. Have to also buy a front spoiler. Have a rear M3 type one that has been adjusted to fit an 325 so just need a front one. So hopefully in about a months time the car should be nearly ready. Also want to get the rule book for the Khumo as you never know i may want to do this at some point in the future.

James

TRACKPIG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2006 at 12:57
any pics
REMEMBER- POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT KELLY REMOULDS
E30 325 Sport - Gone but not forgotten
E36 M3 evo
Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Piece
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2006 at 13:33

Not yet. Will have to get the digital camera out, but it does not look very pretty at present.

James

JamesH81 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 20:02
you're my hero! this is exactly what i want to do. some will remember i made comments last year about getting a pug 106, but an e30 is an excellent rear wheeler to learn the ways of the tracks.
is it costing you a lot to do/maintain?
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2006 at 07:03

James 325i sport,

Congratulations on your project--dont forget about Noise Regulations ,all circuits have max levels.Dont forget about the SELOC  BMW series which sometimes runs on the same Kumho meetings, and is a little less expensive to compete in.Good Luck and have some great drives.

When you sit there on the Grid in the middle of 35000rpm waiting for the red to go green, in the pouring rain and you ask yourself "What am I doing here ??" YOU know it makes sense.

SAFETYFAST
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2006 at 14:40

Total costs so far is under £1000

Just purchased some side skirts and a steering wheel for £25.

Exhaust will probable be made out of mild steel by ourselfs with a decibel meter. Want to keep it under 95 which is OK for all circuits i believe.

James

JamesH81 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2006 at 20:58
how much did the car set you back, year, mileage, etc?
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2006 at 14:26

The car is a 1988 F registered 325i with slight rear end damage and 100,000 miles. I bought this along with a rotten 325isport for £350. I have a strutbrace and all four struts from the sport and am using the shell, gearbox and engine from the 325i. Would have liked the LSD, but on inspection of the sport the LSD was not there as had been removed and replaced by a standard one and the gearbox was knackered. The sport also has a 2.7 engine, but thats blown. However i may be able to recover some parts and build another one to go in at a later date.

James

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic