Forum LockedBIG Brother Has arrived--NOW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 12:56
I really don't know what the public thinks, I would hope they agree.  I'm sure there is a great deal of ignorance out there. 

I'd imagine that the tories maybe a bit concerned about PR in the long term, but as it stands they would probably benefit. 

In the long term it's more important that we have a proper democracy. 

Edited by scarface
Sponsored Links

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 12:36
Is there enough support for PR with the public though ?

Will the tories want PR either ?

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 12:13
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

As has already been said it's for society to decide at the ballot box.
We elect the governments that implement such things, in our names.

Hehehe.. As I've said before, it doesn't appear that the general public have any say in what happens.. 

If we are to stop this madness we need first to address the electoral system.  That reform will never happen though as it will knock the current government out of power.  By rights they shouldn't be in power now

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 11:52
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

I supposed this is just a coincidence, then?

I'm not a fan of variable speed limits, as someone that uses the Heathrow stretch of the M25 quite a lot.  In my experience it just doesn't work, you often have a sudden speed drop from 70 to 40 on a relatively clear road, for no APPARENT reason.  In a lot of instances I have found that it would be dangerous and discouteous to bleed that much speed off with the close proximity of cars around me. 
It seems like people don't read ahead enough and the bulk of the traffic are still well in excess of the new limit by the time they hit the new limit gantry.   Having said that I still haven't been caught by a camera there yet so I can't complain too much.  I think that a frequently varying speed limit with the danger of cameras on a congested bit of road is a bad idea, people have enough on their minds. 

Good idea in theory for keeping the traffic moving, but I just don't think it works, maybe the software needs to be more intelligent. 
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 10:48

Because it provides the optimal balance of effeciency & reasonableness for the system I'd imagine. The bigger the database & with all vehicles covered the more effective the search can be. Most reg plates will be unused data, but if you miss any, that could be the important one for your search a year or two down the line in an investigation. At the time of recording the importance of a single reg plate for future investiagtons can't be pre-determined. But if you have them all the data will be there.

So that's OK, is it? Because it's convenient for the police, we should all be spied upon?

What is reasonable about keeping record of the movement of every citizen for five years?

As has already been said it's for society to decide at the ballot box.
We elect the governments that implement such things, in our names.

It is also not what I think or you think as individuals, but what measures society is willing to accept in order to strike that balance of security & freedom.

Where the information held is of most use will be for the most serious events.
If your child is abducted & the Police locate & arrest a suspect the following day in a car, then the search of that vehicles movements may provide valueable leads that help in the safe recovery of that child.

Where Police identify a terrorsist cell & the vehicles they are using, , long depth searches of prior vehicle movements for those vehicles could be instrumental in identifying their movements & others related to their activities. The several years of data could be very useful in these enquiries because people don't become terrorsists overnight.

Now in both cases these vehicles would not have been identified as target vehicles prior to Police's first contact with the people concerned, but the search facility available could be instrumental in saving of further lives. As the need to record those particular vehicles movements couldn't be pre-determined. If every vehicle is covered, then it ensures that they will be there. The millions of other vehicles that are of no interest just lay on file, which is not going to affect the users of those vehicles adversely.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 08:04

Because it provides the optimal balance of effeciency & reasonableness for the system I'd imagine. The bigger the database & with all vehicles covered the more effective the search can be. Most reg plates will be unused data, but if you miss any, that could be the important one for your search a year or two down the line in an investigation. At the time of recording the importance of a single reg plate for future investiagtons can't be pre-determined. But if you have them all the data will be there.

So that's OK, is it? Because it's convenient for the police, we should all be spied upon?

What is reasonable about keeping record of the movement of every citizen for five years?
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 07:10

Big difference between 400yds & 1 inch.

400yds isn't necessarily in sight of & is only talked about for motorways. At 400yds apart vehicles will not be in sight at all times, but they record reg plates as they pass the fixed points.

The same with petrol stations etc, they would only record them there, not move with the vehicle.

Please, livvy, this is pure sophistry on your part: what can happen in 400 yards on a motorway that would require an ANPR camera at that interval?

Car stop & occupants get out.

AND WHY ARE THEY KEEPING THE RECORDS OF LAW-ABIDING, TAX-PAYING MOTORISTS AT ALL? Let alone for five years?

Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 06:58

400yds isn't necessarily in sight of & is only talked about for motorways. At 400yds apart vehicles will not be in sight at all times, but they record reg plates as they pass the fixed points.

The same with petrol stations etc, they would only record them there, not move with the vehicle.

Please, livvy, this is pure sophistry on your part: what can happen in 400 yards on a motorway that would require an ANPR camera at that interval?

AND WHY ARE THEY KEEPING THE RECORDS OF LAW-ABIDING, TAX-PAYING MOTORISTS AT ALL? Let alone for five years?
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 06:57

The benfefits to security & crime detection outweigh the impact on freedoms.

Jawohl, mein herr. These benefits and impacts have been assessed by whom, exactly? Oh, the police? Well, that's alright then!

Why ARE the police keeping these records of law-abiding motorists for five years?

Again that is a public decision, with which party they vote for based on their policies.

Which party in power will not be considering this though?

Have you an assessment that shows that general publci opinion of the majority is against such a move ?

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 06:55

They will not cover every inch of the road & vehicles are not "monitored" between cameras.

REALLY? What is this, then?

Relevant quote:

Quote Meredydd Hughes wants the cameras to be installed every 400 yards on motorways, as well as at supermarkets, petrol stations and in town centres.

Every 400 yards?

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 06:52

That's not how the ANPR cameras work though. They will not cover every inch of the road & vehicles are not "monitored" between cameras. What they do is record the reg plate of every car that passes the camera & check it against Police interest markers on databases. If found they flag it up to the operator. The car isn't then monitored until it passess another camera whatever distance that is away (the cameras won't necessarily be in sight of each other). It is the passing of fixed points that registers movement, not you being watched all the time.

No mention of ANPR in your link.

Like a Police officer at every junction noting cars that go by.

Yeah, like that happens.

But that's the benefit it offers without the cost. It can't physically be done with officers, but can with cameras.

Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 06:34

They will not cover every inch of the road & vehicles are not "monitored" between cameras.

REALLY? What is this, then?

Relevant quote:

Quote Meredydd Hughes wants the cameras to be installed every 400 yards on motorways, as well as at supermarkets, petrol stations and in town centres.

Every 400 yards?
Ciao,
Spokey

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 06:31

Jawohl, mein herr. These benefits and impacts have been assessed by whom, exactly? Oh, the police? Well, that's alright then!

Why ARE the police keeping these records of law-abiding motorists for five years?
Ciao,
Spokey

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 06:28

That's not how the ANPR cameras work though. They will not cover every inch of the road & vehicles are not "monitored" between cameras. What they do is record the reg plate of every car that passes the camera & check it against Police interest markers on databases. If found they flag it up to the operator. The car isn't then monitored until it passess another camera whatever distance that is away (the cameras won't necessarily be in sight of each other). It is the passing of fixed points that registers movement, not you being watched all the time.

Yeah, like that happens.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 06:20

My basic concern is this: the police have no business recording the movements of law-abiding citizens.

What is your defence of that?

As was eluded earlier.

There is no such thing as total security, there is no such thing as total freedom. It is a balancing act to provide safety & security whilst not impacting on our freedoms where possible. It is not a static thing, it has to be reviewed continually & adjusted to need.

Our security needs addressing & our Police need to be more effective in combating both terrorism & crime. ANPR will help in that & improve  efficiency/effectiveness.

In my view, we the public will feel the benefit of that security & more effective crime detection, far more than the negative, as you put it, of having our vehicles movements monitored. That monitoring will in my opinion have very little effect on the daily lives of the vast majority of the population.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 05:57

Remember the Guildford Four, Judith Ward, the Darvell brothers, the Cardiff Three, Danny McNamee, the M25 Three and the Bridgewater Four? That all happened without the easy access to lazy policing that this offers.

Why are today's Police responsible for the behaviour of yester years ?

That's not the point: the point is that the British police do not have an unblemished record and substantial miscarriages of justice have taken place. The laziness and completeness of the coverage are of great concern.

My basic concern is this: the police have no business recording the movements of law-abiding citizens.

What is your defence of that?
Ciao,
Spokey

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 05:52

Why would they wait for 5 years ?

Because they might have a lot more "crime" to process.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 05:40

Remember the Guildford Four, Judith Ward, the Darvell brothers, the Cardiff Three, Danny McNamee, the M25 Three and the Bridgewater Four? That all happened without the easy access to lazy policing that this offers.

Which of those were jailed because of ANPR cameras ?

Why is ANPR going to make that more likely not less ?

Why are today's Police responsible for the behaviour of yester years ?

Are you to blame for the past crimes of British colonialism ?

Is current Germany responsible for Hitler's actions ?

Come come now.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 05:37

It's not surveillance, surveillance would be targeted & observing identified individuals etc, not noting all car movements past a point.

You're being a bit disingenuous here, livvy, it's not noting all car movements past a point: it's the ability to monitor every cars movements across nearly every square mile of the UK, with the ability to see where a car started, where it went, where it ended its journey.

In essence, it is the ability to surveil every motorist from a computer screen. Not just when they make the journey, but FIVE years later.

If they kicked down your door at 4AM and accused you of involvement in a crime five years ago, would you be able to even remember what you did on the day in question?

Software of course will exist to throw up anomalies such as dual movements of vehicles (rung cars) & to search for the movements of vehicles that are of interest to Police for investigative purposes, but this is likley to be limited in access as are large scale searches on the PNC.

Why would they wait for 5 years ?

If you say "because they can" well they could of course wait for 5 years now then, so what difference again have cameras made there ?

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2005 at 05:04

Yeah, like thoughtcrimes.

Software for that is still about 14 days away from successful development isn't it ?

"Newspeak, doublethink, thoughtcrime--in 1984, George Orwell created a whole vocabulary of words concerning totalitarian control that have since passed into our common vocabulary. More importantly, he has portrayed a chillingly credible dystopia. In our deeply anxious world, the seeds of unthinking conformity are everywhere in evidence; and Big Brother is always looking for his chance."
Ciao,
Spokey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic