Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE36 traction control???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E36 traction control???
    Posted: 20-December-2005 at 12:45

I've got an N reg 323I coupe...

All of a sudden i don't seem to have any traction whatsoever! no i know the roads are a tad greasy and i should expect some sort of loss but it sort of feels like a had traction control before but no i've switched it off!

So does my car have non switchable traction control as standard?????? and can it just give up the ghost?

My tyres aren't the best in the world but they have never given me greif before it all just seems a bit instant :(

Sponsored Links

T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2005 at 13:21

The TC on a 3 series, if it had it fitted, is switchable by a button on the centre console, with matching yellow light in the dash between rev counter & speedo. 

On an N reg I don't think it came with it - twas 97 onwards I think, but I stand completely to be corrected. My 95 has no TC.

Just enjoy the slippiness,kick the tail out on roundabouts, and be wide everywhere else is my advice

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2005 at 13:30
Even with ASC [TC] broken on my E39 I can't get the tail out unless I really try and push it. Its awful!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2005 at 14:19
I agree that over the past few weeks the roads have seemed a bit more greasy than usual.  Pulling out of junctions in a hurry is a bit of a nightmare. 

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Even with ASC [TC] broken on my E39 I can't get the tail out unless I really try and push it. Its awful!

Must be something about 3ers then, both mine have been a bit wayward in the tail department, I'd never turn my traction control off on a public road, it's too unpredictable. 

Alan323i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2005 at 15:00

Oh right :(

It's not even fun though tbh :( It really feels like i'm not in control of the thing! Were as before it felt so heavy and planted that only when you took the piss did it shift!

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2005 at 15:23
Originally posted by scarface scarface wrote:

Must be something about 3ers then, both mine have been a bit wayward in the tail department, I'd never turn my traction control off on a public road, it's too unpredictable. 

I had thought it was the 255 rear Good Year F1s holding it but on a recent (dry) track day there was little sideways movement from well worn tyres (non F1s)!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2005 at 16:02
I'm suspecting my tyres at the mo.  Dunlop SP Sport 9000s, the previous owner was obviously a cheapskate.  I can't get them anywhere near their recommended pressures without the car becoming dangerously twitchy.  My 328 was grippier on it's 205 R16s 
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2005 at 03:33
as a suggestion, check your rear suspension components - something may have broken or become disconnected effecting your geometry control. quite common after the roads have been salted...
T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2005 at 03:38

what sorta 3 do you have now, Scarface?

I'd never have called the 3 unpredictable; once grip becomes slip it is pretty controllable. And unless you're really provoking it with the throttle, it doesn't break into a drift / roll-oversteer unless you're doing dangerous speed on the public road. I've an LSD in mine which makes it more predictable in a sense (in that it slips earlier but is more throttle-controllable), but good razzes in a colleagues E36 323i on 16" showed it hangs on very well, with the inside rear spinning in most cases and it generally behaving itself.

the 3s do seem to be exceptionally sensitive to wheel alignment, partic at the rear. I know of one lad who had his 'correctly tracked' by someone with a great rep in IRL, but parked it in a wall when the rear literally decided it wasn't interested soon after he had it done. And having been in a car with him, he's not a lousy pilot or a taker of unnecessary risks, and always spends good money on tyres etc.. the setup just messed the rearend up.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2005 at 03:48
very common with 'track' geometry settings TJ - it is easily possible to set the rear to such a degree as it gives little warning of a breakaway . mine is set in a more 'user-friendly' way - increased camber = less grip in the extreme but bags of warning when she's gonna go!
Alan323i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2005 at 16:32

Right cheers for that guys :)

Going to get the suspension checked and the tracking etc..

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2005 at 18:03
TJ: Both of mine have been E46s, 328 saloon, now a 330 coupe.  Both have been autos, which may make a difference. 

With the 330 I can't get near the recommended pressures (F:34psi R: 42psi) without things getting a bit worrying at times.  I'm currently running about F:30 R:32, which must be too low for low profiles.  I once tried 36psi on the rear I had the rear trying to break free coming off a roundabout, in the dry with loads of squeal, and I wasn't taking it faster than usual.  Because of the traction control it's never been THAT dangerous but it shouldn't be like that IMO. 

This is the wrong time of year to be judging how well your car grips though!

I hope there's nothing up with the geometry, I've been as careful as I can, and it stays much straighter then the 328 when you let go of the wheel. 

Plus it's still only got 34,000 miles on it, even I can't wear out suspension components in 7,000 miles 
T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 03:46

I run 36Psi on the front and 34Psi on the rear at the mo, on 225/45 17". I haven't dented the rims (a depressingly easy task over here!) since I put them on 20,000 miles ago, and it strikes a reasonable grip/ride compromise. I've always ran around 36psi on low-pros without an issue.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 05:03
Originally posted by T.J. T.J. wrote:

Just enjoy the slippiness,kick the tail out on roundabouts, and be wide everywhere else is my advice

very true

i really do think that 3s are very well balanced in the way that you can feel a slide coming on and i seem to find them very easy to control

i allways turn my tc off ;the reason being is that i find it a more rewarding driving experiance

when we get the snow its allways better to turn the tc off because if you keep it on ;it just cuts out all power to the wheels and you just end up getting no were fast

just my 2 pennys worth

its a dogs world out there
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 05:07
Don't worry, we're catching you up.  Our roads are getting into a shocking state over here.  The problem is that so many roads now need ripping up and doing properly that it can't be done. 

That's strange, I always thought that you put more air in the rear than the front.  Mine are 225 40 18 on the front and 255 35 18 on the rear.  I will have to keep adjusting I think.  
T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 05:40

I put a bit more into the front cos:

1. It improves the steering response a smidge

2. More weight over the front (I know BMW are supposedly 50:50 but I think it applies to 316i's, not 328/330s somehow)

3.the impact is always bigger on the front - by the time it gets to the rear there always feels like there is an element of absorption already done by the front suspension/tyre and subsequent body movement. there is some technical support for this that I read before, but it fell out of my head soon after I put it in!  Something to do with phasing. That's why there is less suspension travel in the rear too.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 06:55

point 1. agreed- every car I have had I have run 1 psi under figures and definately makes a difference!

point 2. you'd be surprised - 316/8 are iron blocked - sixes are ally, not much difference in the balance, especially with the batter in the boot on sixes.

point 3. anything you say TJ...

T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 06:59

Re: point 3 ~  ok ok I'll do some digging to try support my notion!

it would be interesting (re: point 2) to get them on a weighbridge to suss weight distribution out, wouldn't it?

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 07:08

yeah, I've been onto a mate who owns the race team I used to work for as he has corner weight scales.

don't know anyone with a 318 though.... 

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2005 at 11:26
I reckon the alloy 6s are still heavier than the iron 4s as the front tyres look a lot flatter than the rears at the same pressure.   All I want is a bit less spin from the rears, I'm sure the fronts are OKish, I don't like light steering anyway. 

I won't be happy if I've broken something or knocked it out of alignment already!  I'm beginning to wonder if the E46 is sturdy enough for me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic