FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFifth Gear tonight (12/12)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2005 at 06:44

My ha'penny worth is:

1. My E30 M3 with KW2 suspension felt all at sea (excuse pun) at Anglesey which is what started an ongoing suspension episode - but I hadn't driven there before with previous Bilstein Sprintline fitted. It is a tight circuit compared to anything else in UK (even Cadwell).

2. When I've been getting instruction at trackdays I always let the instructor drive the car - it gives them a good feel for its behaviour. I've never felt that they are about to punt the car off (although always faster than me) as they have so much more experience of both the circuit & how cars behave at/near the limit

Would be up for a E30 M3 session at Anglesey though!

piers66
Sponsored Links

Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2005 at 07:20
Originally posted by AaronM3 AaronM3 wrote:

Oh no, I'm with you guys on this- I let Tiff drive it but in hindsight (and if I knew I would have come in for a reasonable amount of slating!) maybe I wouldn't have had. 

So, the track day will be down to us driving which means my car will be very slow...   Damn, not sure how this track day is actually going to prove my car isn't a shed...

Aaron,

Noone has said (on this forum at least) either of those. All I've read and said myself is that your car looked good and maybe a later car may have been a bit quicker.

Whether anyone you know has been saying your car is slower than a phonetically spelt warm tiny hatchback is another thing...

Seriously though, it does seem strange that there can be a very small difference between some serious cars and some distinctly unserious machines.
Mallorcaman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2005 at 07:33

"...or how about a Total BMW challenge to Mercedes Enthusiast magazine - comparing lap times with 109e 16v variants.....there is a bond between these cars and am always amazed the comics haven't made more of it...just waiting for Octane to get there first and ask Mark Hales to compare evo sport with 190e evo 2 "

I can`t bring a Messerschmidt 109E to Anglesey because there`s nowhere to land, but I would be happy to bring my 190E 2.3 Cosworth in the name of historical research.

MALLORCAMAN
Putting the ///M in Mallorca
AaronM3 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2005 at 07:42

AaronM3 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2005 at 07:44
That's a 2.5 example btw
Mallorcaman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2005 at 08:22

Aaron,

We must lead a parallel existence. My 190E 2.3 is smoke silver, my M3 is diamond black!

And I thought I was the only one. Have you got a 15 year old Nissan Patrol as well? 

MALLORCAMAN
Putting the ///M in Mallorca
AaronM3 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2005 at 08:32

I'm afraid that wasn't my Merc- I borrowed it for a week from the Classic Car Club in London.  Great car though!

I would be interested in getting one but values seem to be pretty strong at the moment and I have my eye on an E36 M3 as a second car... plus I already have 3 other cars (not boasting- they're all pants!  106 track car in the middle of an engine swap, Scirocco that me and a mate have tidied up and we just need to get round to fitting a new windscreen for the MOT and a... brace yourselves... Rover 100 that I use for teaching my missus to drive and for going to Tesco.  Now that's a car that could lap Anglesey at a furious pace! )

M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2005 at 08:44
On a short twisty track one small error will completely cock up your time, like a missed gearchange.

Also our cars do lack torque and is why the Grale beat it as it had the speed coming out of the bends. On that track that matters more than speed you can carry into the bends.

Like others have hinted at, on a faster track with quick bends, like Castle Combe or Snetterton, the M3 would beat the Grale, I am sure.

Snetterton would be good for me as it is just up the road!
E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2005 at 14:49

Mallorcaman - is that Gavin? - how is the waterlogged submarine version of the M3?

Martin

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2005 at 14:52

Aaron

there is a Merc 190e Cos for sale at Roger Williams - sounds good in the advert - £4750

In 1994 I was toying between an M3 Evo and a Merc 190e 2.5 and went for the M3 - at the time the M3 was £21K and Merc £24 - how times change - Now M3 £7 - 9K and Merc £4 - 5....

Martin

E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2005 at 17:51

I had my first experiance yesturday morning of a spirited Ka(k) owner, except they were driving a "works" VW transporter van.  

He was driving normal I guess, untill I passed him on a dual caridgeway when he decided to have a go. I drove along a bit quicker, but not too quick, so he could think even his van could stay with an E30 M3. That was until I came up behind a row of about 8 cars following a lorry. This was when I selected 3rd and passed all 9 vehicles, looked in my mirrors and the VW was attempting it too, although I think he only passed about 3 cars

Maybe, just maybe he now thinks a VW transporter van is no match for an E30 M3. I bet he wishes he was driving his Ford Ka(k)

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
m3kuk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2005 at 19:45
Anyone know what an E36 M3 Evo will do round that 'Mickey mouse' track?
I don't think I would get out or 3rd gear!(100mph btw)

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2005 at 04:51
Originally posted by texas2201 texas2201 wrote:

In 1994 I was toying between an M3 Evo and a Merc 190e 2.5 and went for the M3 - at the time the M3 was £21K and Merc £24 - how times change - Now M3 £7 - 9K and Merc £4 - 5....

Martin

and you know why......
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2005 at 07:22

LOL

but i still like the mercs as an everday car - they even did an auto version.....wonder how that went ? a real drivers car.......not

Martin

M3DTM View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 03:48

Originally posted by piers66 piers66 wrote:

2. When I've been getting instruction at trackdays I always let the instructor drive the car - it gives them a good feel for its behaviour. I've never felt that they are about to punt the car off (although always faster than me) as they have so much more experience of both the circuit & how cars behave at/near the limit

Instructors while instructing will never drive a car at the limit, although it might feel that way. The are just much more comfortable around the limit. Has a lot to do with car control. Some racing driver setting times in front of race minded enthousiasts might push it just a little bit too much. Wouldn't want him to be in my car...

John

A properly sorted E30 M3 is still 'King of the Ring'
mysteron35 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Kings Lynn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 16:36

Hi all , looking at the MB 190 bought back some memories ! I worked for a large Merc main dealer in London (Reliance of Chingford) from 1983 to 1996 and remember the 2.3 launch well , we got to test the cars out along a stretch of road in Epping and I was hooked ! I jumped at any chance to drive one and vowed to own one one day . But a few years later we took in a BMW M3 and I took it home for the wknd and what a difference ! I had the chance to drive the cars back to back when they were only a few years old and the M3 felt alive compared to the 190 that felt like standard car with hard suspension and nice seats ! .

Steve.     

92 Carrera RS
95 3.0 M3
ex 5 x e30 m3'3
ex e35 M5
s14man View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 17:48

Greetings, reading some of the comments on this subject I feel a lot of dreams have been destroyed (including my own) with Tiffs lap times.

Perhaps in the last 18 years car technology has really moved forward, and we haven’t?

shoestring7 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 05:04

Martin,

I drove a 190-16 2.5 recently. It did prove that MB lost their way with manual gearbox's some time in the 60's. This was agricultural, with long, long throws, a rubbery action, and over-long ratios.

Based on other Murks I've driven, I'll bet the auto box is an improvement.

SS7

'89 E30 M3 (now sold)
'93 968CS
'00 520iT
'02 Alloy Audi
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 10:08

Hi Shoestring

I agree with your comments about the gearbox and it certainly was a major factor in putting me off the Merc at the time, but with two young kids i hankered after the four doors

535iSport View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2005 at 09:33

just going back to this topic to put the time into perspective with the newer m3s, if the cars were able to lap at the same time each lap and constantly over a period of an hour the laps are as follows:

Car       Laps in 1 hr

e46 m3 csl 71.9

e46 m3 69.1

e30 m3 63.3

Personally i'd expect 20 years of newer technology to be more than 8 laps ahead. ok so i've not take into account pit stops etc but i think it goes to show how good the e30 was when it was first made and how good it still is imo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic