Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBadly need advice!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Badly need advice!!!!!
    Posted: 09-December-2005 at 11:28

Hi

I took my E36 M3 Evo saloon to a BMW dealer because of a self centring problem with the steering which didn't occur untill i picked it up of them for some work that they did a week earlier. All they had to do was realign the steering wheel as it was of centre, after i picked it up of them driving home i noticed that when i released the steering wheel it would return to 45degrees but then the wheel would stop there and the car would continue in that direction, as you can imagine i was less than impressed with them so took it back, now after 2 days they are telling me that i need a whole new steering rack at a cost of £860.

can anyone offer any suggestions as to what i should do, i simply dont have that sort of money to keep throwing around.

Sponsored Links

Pooky View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2005 at 11:59

Doesn't sound like a steering rack problem to me, more geometry.

Check the steering wheel is centered in the rack travel. You can do this by marking top dead centre on the steering wheel with a bit of tape at maximum left and right lock. You should end up with two symmetrical bits of tape on the wheel that show it is centred to the rack travel. If it isn't then it could mean two things, either the steering wheel is in the wrong place on the splines or the lower U/J of the column has been put onto the wrong place on the splines on the rack. You can check the lower U/J as the rack has a small sharks fin on the top which should line up with the gap in the U/J.

The stealers are trying to do just that (and you could probably get one second hand for £100, I bought an EVO rack for that money off ebay).

ZERO View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2005 at 12:33

Right I’ve had enough of that bl**dy garage! I have just spoken with them again to attempt to sort out what is now a number of issues that I have with them and the guy on the service desk simply said that it’s not his problem and that he doesn't care.

I live in Saffron Walden between Cambridge and Bishops Stortford, now can anyone recommend a garage that isn't Sewell of Bishops Stortford or Elms of Cambridge, because I intend to never use either of them ever again!

From my point of view they are both crap but Sewell's is just a joke, they are easily the worst garage I have ever used!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic