Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReplacing Dashboard Lights?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing Dashboard Lights?
    Posted: 02-July-2003 at 22:12

Hello fellow BMW fans, I'm new here, hope I don't get break any forum rules :)

I have a BMW 316. The lights of the dashboard are burnt out and I am wondering if I can replace them myself. I made some pics to help you out since I don't know the technical or correct names of all the bits and pieces here: www.alhaffar.com/bmw/bmw_help.htm (Please beware if you are on dialup, many large photos) :)

Thanks in advance!
CM.

Sponsored Links

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2003 at 22:34

Yes you can replace them yourself, i replaced mine only a little while ago, remove the two screws that hold the cluster in at the top then i think it was two small nuts underneath the dash to undo then the entire instument cluster will wiggle out, remove the steering wheel to make it a little easier. 

Once the cluster is half out pull the cables from the back of it, some are held in with clips and need to be sqeezed to release them.  Once you have it out, two brown twistable sockets hold the bulbs which light up the dash.  Twist them out, (anti clockwise) pull the bulb out of the little brown socket and then replace it.  They are the same bulbs that are used in the side lights but ensure they are the correct wattage, think they are 3w.  hope that helps mate.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2003 at 22:56

Further to Pauls post:-

1. Remove the kick panel (above your knees) to access the two large nuts that hold on the long plastic strip just above the steering column. If you feel behind it you can feel them. Carefully remove this black strip.
2. Remove the screws holding in the plastic surround (some at top of cluster surround and some behind the plastic strip removed in step 1.
3. Remove the screws that hold in the cluster and then gently prise the cluster forward at the top. I found it unnecessary to remove the steering wheel but as Paul says - it makes it a bit easier. If you do remove the wheel then remove the nut (22mm?) and make an alignment mark so you know exactly which way the wheel goes back on!
4. You will need to unplug the 2 or 3* electrical plugs from the back of the cluster before you can remove it fully. These plugs can be removed by using a screwdriver and prising the clip away from the back of the cluster and then pulling the plug - yopu will see what I mean!
* IIRC 2 is without OBC & 3 is with OBC
5. The bulbs which need replacing should be relatively obvious to you when it is out and they come out with a simple turn.
6. replace cluster

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic