Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Article: Ban on ’boy racer’ modifications
    Posted: 17-November-2005 at 04:15
from www.breakingnews.ie/2005/11/17/story230602.html
Quote Govt planning to outlaw ‘boy-racer’ car modifications
17/11/2005 - 07:40:09

The Government is reportedly planning to outlaw car modifications that are much-loved by so-called "boy racers".

Reports this morning said Junior Minister for Transport Ivor Callely was planning to ban modifications like tinted windows and put a cap on engine noise as part of a reform of the National Car Test.

Under his plans, cars will fail the test from next January if they are found to contain unauthorised modifications or if their engine noise exceeds the legal limit.

Meanwhile, Minister for Transport Martin Cullen has announced plans to extend the penalty points system early next year to include a range of new motoring offences.

The new offences include dangerous overtaking, failing to obey traffic lights and crossing continuous white median lines in the centres of roads.

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 04:34
This kind of flawed logic drives me nuts.

On one hand there are safety issues, such as too much tint on windows, but on the other there is simple petty-ness "your exhaust is 'too' loud" - which is subjective on the most part as I dont see cops carrying decibel meters all that often.

The safety concerns with some car mods are valid - such as the guys with 300 kilos of sound gear over the rear axel of their corsa... surely if they were involved in an accident their car would be deemed to be overladen and they would automatically be at fault???

But a loud exhaust never killed anyone - annoyed plenty I'm sure - but the cause of accidents, I think not.
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 05:09
Ivor Callaly was on Morning Ireland this morning explaining why this was so important.  It sounded like the idea was concocted over a skinful of beer and he'd only finished drinking!  Must be a slow news day.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Kin Mak View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 05:10
How is that going to work? I don't think it is going to be engine noise but exaust noise that will be regulated. You can't relly make a small capacity engine sound "loud" and you are not really going to be able to make a high capacity "quiet".

Does not make any sense whatsoever. Boy racer mods don't make people speed, infact it will keep young kids occupied tinkering with their cars instead of doing more distructive things. I personally don't like the look of them but hey I don't like the look of many things, I still would not want them baned.

They should ban cops with radar/laser guns, they cause people to brake in a dangrous manner and might cause accidents.
T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 05:38

I think they're great: they car is laden down with stuff, and the bodykits so close to the ground, that they literally cannot go quick on 90% of the roads.

Tis a ridiculous notion....

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 05:38
Ivor was my local TD in Clontarf before I moved to Leixlip. I never liked the man as he is an utterly slimy and loathsome character. Given his character, I honestly don't understand why people vote for him.

He was once mentioned in a Gerry Ryan show for pretending to have gotten planning applications approved for people.

At mass he used to arrive in with his mutton dressed as mutton wife about 5 or 10 minutes late and the whole family would make a racket as they proceeded to take seats up the front. He also stands outside the church canvassing each week. he tried to canvas me once outside the church and after being told to F. off he never bothered again.
1997 E39 523i
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 06:19

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

I never liked the man as he is an utterly slimy and loathsome character. Given his character, I honestly don't understand why people vote for him.

Ah c'mon Killian, don't be shy, tell us how you really feel!

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 06:48
He better start lookin at the "Power Rangers" also alot of the bikes on the roads to day are heaps of crap and alot of road deaths are people on bikes so it would be more better time spent introducing and NCT for bikes as some of them have louder exhausts than cars etc. They onlt way the nect can test a car is at idle not on the road so how are they going to measure noise as most exhausts (the proper built ones )are Tuv approved etc. Local Authority are the only ones with the equipment to measure noise and the Gardai have no equipment to measure tints etc  
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 07:10

Some ol same ol, the go after the ones they can catch (like shooting fish in a barrel) catch the ordinary person for speeding 38mph in a 30mpa, not wearing a seat belt, parking ticket expired, tax a couple of weeks out of date, a light not working and the list goes on and on and on. Now its the mod cars, some of them are a bit ott but in my opinion most of them look after their cars no boy racing for the fear of the euros the spent to get it that way. Some of them are so low to the ground they could'nt go fast. Where i think they will get caught out is with the engine mods and the insurance not knowing. The NCT will end up having to  report mod cars to these companies, that will cut the numbers of boy racers. Its the lads in the Junkers that get the rest a bad name. Leave them alone if they want to put there money into mod a car let them keeps them from street corners and hanging around in gangs with nothing to do

e30 325is (deceased)
e36 318is under major construction
E39 530D Sport mtec (all the bells and whistles )

Basic unit of laryngitis: 1 hoarsepower
lesurely
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 07:20
You had better head up around PARK WEST Industrial Estate on a Weekend night and see the type of cars that attend the meets, stolen cars, lunatics who think they can race etc, I reckon that people are complaining about this type of activity and this is his answer (hasn't a clue) we are experincing the same problem that the UK has and its only going to get worse. Alot of the latest road deaths are young people in these so called "Boy Racer" cars who think they can drive like the pro on the track but the road is a different place. His Nct idea won't work cause all they do is put on the stock systems for the test and them put back on the mods after     
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 07:28
Parkwest is a great track... I mean piece of road though. When I head home if there is a jam on the Parkwest road itself I will go around the back and do a slalom and come out at the other end of the Parkwest Road.

I wash my car at work as well so in the weekends I can hear all these noises rumbling up and down the stright just beside my work. Kinda scarry cuz I am there by myself sometimes and if they come over and demand my keys I would be helpless. Thus the office doors are always open so I can run in and lock the door
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 07:38

I thought most of the mods mentioned were illegal any way, window tint to allow in at least 70% etc.

Surely this is about enforcement of existing legislation rather than deliberation over new legislation, it could be a dangerous ground to start legislating for. Legally what's the difference between a mod and a non-oem part.

Should short shifters etc. be banned as part of the crack down on "mods"?

Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 07:43
I really don't wanna hear all this when I'm putting my Eisenmann exhaust on this weekend.
Richie

Kin Mak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 07:46
Yeah Richie you boy racer... with all your bodykits, optics and phat rims.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 07:48
the AA have come out criticising it:
Quote AA criticises Govt plan to outlaw modified cars
17/11/2005 - 11:30:19

The AA has criticised government plans to outlaw car modifications loved by so-called "boy racers".

The Government is planning to ban the modifications as part of reforms to the National Car Test.

From next January, all cars containing unauthorised modifications will fail the test, as will those whose engine noise exceeds new limits.

AA spokesman Conor Faughnan said he agreed that dangerous modifications should be banned, but it was wrong to automatically fail cars due to their appearance.

"I think it's a mistake to draw a direct link between the way a car looks and the way a driver behaves," he said.
1997 E39 523i
BAZBMW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 08:46
I've just sent him a mail explaining my annoyances with him.

ivorcallely@transport.ie

Just bombard the f@cker

Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 08:52

That meane that my car will fail the next NCT, even though my tint is within the limits.

What will they do about factory tints?

And will they check that wheels are the right offsets for the cars they're on?

Richie View Drop Down

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 09:05
Originally posted by BAZBMW BAZBMW wrote:

I've just sent him a mail explaining my annoyances with him.

ivorcallely@transport.ie

Just bombard the f@cker

Welcome to the forum Baz...think I'll draft up a mail myself.
Richie

BAZBMW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 09:06
I just don't understand what he is trying to achieve!!!!!

NCT is for making a car safe, roadworthy and confirms that the vehicle can actually drive on Irish roads.  If you replace your brakes with better ones, surely that safer, but then its a mod.  I don't see where the line will be drawn on what is a "unauthorised modification", if replacing anything on your car with a newer, better item is a modification then what makes something authorised and unauthorised.  If he means that if you get your parts bought and fitted by professional garage but not a BMW garage then is that not authorised, well that to me means that all non-dealer garages are illegal in that they are now not licenced to upgrade any parts on your car. 

gggrrrrr.
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 09:27

Welcome, Baz.  We appreciate all the extra ranting we can get!

You're absolutely right in what you say about upgrading safety equipment; most people here have done it at some stage.  Just look at the tyres you choose to but on your car; often top quality, but not manufacturer recommended brand.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic