FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked635 Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 635 Restoration
    Posted: 16-November-2005 at 15:51
Can anyone recommend a London, Essex or Herts based restorer for restoring my 635? I want the underneath cleaned off waxoyled. Bodywork wise there is a bit of rust around the rear number plate panel which will need fixing and spraying I am also looking to tidy up the interior leather and carpet, I just want someone who is reliable and finishes to a high standard.
Robert Born
Sponsored Links

phb10186 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 18:05
So do I, and I live in the same general area - I just want the welding and undersealing done.

1985 635 CSI with Style 134's
1998 Z3 2.8i
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 15:04

the rust round the back I think comes through from the inside and is nearly always worse than it looks.

After innumerable disappointments, I do all this stuff myself now, simply because I will do the job to the standard that I want, something I can't otherwise guarantee.

My two pence worth...

cheers

Edited by Brucey

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2005 at 09:58
Robert
I am using arestorer in North Herts, Graveley just outside Stevenage, close to the A1. Company is called Finishline and their work is second to none. Having seen the results and the type of cars they work on, I was more than happy to leave mine there.
The guys are pure enthusiasts and professional people, and they do work for many major collectors around this area and other parts of the world (with several clients in the states). Well recommended.

AG
we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2005 at 14:13
M3AG Thanks for your help, much appreciated I will check them out.

Regards,

Robert
Robert Born
Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 12:24
M3AG , Thanks for the lead , I checked them out on Saturday and was very impressed, answered every question and query I had and gave me the options on how far I wanted to restore the car.. I just cant wait for 06 when I get it done.
Robert Born
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 19:05

Originally posted by M3AG M3AG wrote:

Robert
I am using a restorer in North Herts, Graveley just outside Stevenage, close to the A1. Company is called Finishline and their work is second to none....

You've just given me an idea for that wheelarch.....

Drew21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 09:59
Originally posted by Brucey Brucey wrote:

the rust round the back I think comes through from the inside and is nearly always worse than it looks.

er yes, seconded. I regretted poking a small (about 5p size) patch coming through just below the light cluster last week. My 6 is now considerably lighter on rust and a bit heavier on fibreglass (only temporary I promise, unitl its warm enough to sort it proper)

I think the blue hammerite looks about right!!

UKDaveJ View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 14:03
What year is your car Robert?

You may well have seen a post of mine on here regarding repair work done on my 1989 635csi Highline.

It might be worth having a look at.

What other work needs doing? Front wings, sills, jacking points, inner wings, rear lights, rear arches....?

Make sure if you have it done professionally you get it photo-documented, this will help you immeasurably should the worst happen on our roads after all that expense!

My 635's.
Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 16:37
Uk Dave, Thanks for the post . Mine was manufactured 88 sold sept 89. It has been "restored" about 2 years ago and resprayed but poor quality. To my mind there is only one way of doing this and thats to bite the bullet . That said the rear arches look ok but the rear lights , offside inner wing , rear number plate panel all have rust. It has had new front wings fitted. Very excited about this bodywork shop. I wanted something close so if there was a question I could visit and discuss it, but there is nothing local to me I spent 3 days looking at so called restorers and I would not let them paint my push bike. I had almost given up and was about to approach Fish Brothers the company that restored one of Ross Harris's cars when I posted here and got the response try Finishline. I am a bit of a "pain in the a**e" perfectionist so The remit is cut all rust out, seal it , waxoyl it and make it beautiful again. Thanks for the tip about photos , after my visit last Saturday I stopped in stevenage at a Camera shop to look at leaving a camera at the Garage. I have a plan all ready . Two months to get the mechanicals all done , then the bodywork. I can't wait to drive it again.
Robert Born
UKDaveJ View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 16:46
If you dont mind me asking Robert, what sort of budget do you expect for the bodywork?

What about the mechanicals - what are your plans here?
My 635's.
Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 18:43
Mechanicals are upgrading brakes to e34 540 disks and callipers ,an e32 750 master cylinder a damm good service, all rear suspension mounts , front shocks and springs, rear shocks and springs, 2 new rear lights, 2 no plate lights,new aerial,new heater switch whilst its in bits will also have new wheel bearings and braided brake pipes.

Bodywork is a million dollar question and it looks much better than it actually is . I do hope Finishline are not listening in !I have budgeted £6k, but until Finishline see it up on a ramp. your guess is as good as mine

I will also take the opportunity to fit new sun roof seal,door seals amd front and rear windscreen sills. Target is back on the road for Easter
Robert Born
ron. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2005 at 07:47
If you are going to fit a 750i master cylinder you will need to make up new brake lines.The 750i m/c lines come out on the other side from the 635 m/c.
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2005 at 07:03
did you see my e23 7 in there Rob? Having all the back arches etc done & should be ready in about a weeks time (just in time for Christmas!) So far I am very impressed with their way and std of working. And the panels they need for mine are hand made sections!
Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2005 at 13:01
M3AG Small world , yes we stood by it when we talked and as we spoke a panel was being made for I think it was around the offside sill.
Robert Born
UKDaveJ View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2005 at 13:52
All of this resto work stuff is very interesting to me as well, I have an 84 635 that needs some work doing to it, rear arches, new jacking point(s), front wings (possible repair...) & thats about it.

What sort of ball-park figs are Finishline quoting for fixing up rear arches & such like?

I realise the figures are likely to frighten me, but its worth knowing I guess!!

In the end I might just have to bite the bullet & borrow a welder & teach myself......

My 635's.
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2005 at 13:52
Well I've been to see it (visiting time!) they've made up many parts for it.
This link to a 7 site shows it in progress where my money's going!
and I have to say, so far their work is very good. They call me everytime they need any amendments or confirmation of an item. Couldn't have asked for more really.
If you go there Rob, you'll be well pleased.
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2005 at 13:54
Trouble is Dave, it could be the tip of the ice berg, as things get uncovered as the job progress'e. So far on mine, he hasn't seen anything that much more than we originally thought, so hopefully once they've finished the rear (and the front jacking point) it will get painted.
simonr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 06:48

Just been to see finishline and they've given me a quote that I'll take up. I think I saw Rob's car which is coming along nicely, and by June mine should be in there getting pretty much the same bodywork treatment.

Chris at Finishline is a really enthusiastic guy and the work looks great too. It helps that they've recently done the same renovation on another car - he could outline all the pitfalls. I'll get him to photo-document mine and I'll post when I can.

I'm supplying the new front wing, splash guard, gaskets and decals, but having some welding done underneath, front and rear bumpers are being treated for some rust and London parking damage. Rear number plate surround being treated for the usual rust as is one rear wheel arch. Some rusting under the car by the jacking point is being fixed and all the replaced/repaired bodywork is being resprayed. It's coming in at about £1,000 including VAT. It's not the cheapest quote I received, but it's the garage that most inspired me to do a good job.

Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 17:27
Hi Simon,

Its the confidence they will do a good job .

Checkout picstures of my 7 after it was in Finishline

http://photobucket.com/albums/f213/Bobmw/

These were just snaps taken as the light was fading and it was lighly snowing if you pm me your email address I will send you some pics I took after I polished the car for the first time, It scrubs up quite well !

Regards

Rob
Robert Born
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic