Forum Lockedinsurance cover for a no. of cars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: insurance cover for a no. of cars
    Posted: 30-September-2005 at 10:54

Guys,

Because of our third world roads, and winter fast approaching I was considering a second car to save my bimmer. However, the problem is that the car I want to change to is a scoobie because of its power and 4 wheel drive. I've seen a nice tidy estate model, Irish car for under €7k and it suits because of it's large carrying capacity. However, insurance is the problem. I can insure the Scoobie immediately for €1,200 and the BMW for €750 separately, but I wanted to insure the scoobie now, and transfer insurance to the BMW early next year, and maybe change again at short notice, but the company in question have limited the number of transfers to one in 12 months, which is very limiting.

DO any of you guys know a company that are more flexible, and especially with higher powered cars. I cannot see what the difficulty is especially when you are limiting yourself to one car at a time, and they are given good notice of the change over. 

Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
97 Subaru Impreza WRX Sport Wagon (sold)
Sponsored Links

Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2005 at 10:57

Try a broker in Dublin called St Pauls (at least I think they're a broker).  No contact details.

Also, if you carry passengers, check the back for legroom.  I had a loan of one a few years ago, and there was more space in the back of my Civic Coupe!

Lastly, if you have another car (wifes?), why don't you check out fleet options?

AHEALY View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2005 at 11:08

Fey,

It was more the load space in an estate that I was thinking about, because if I was carrying stuff to the dump or even loading furniture, it would be handier than using my trailer. Also the 4 wheel drive and power is a big bonus.

My missus insurance is only €300 so it isn't a big deal. I'm sure fleet insurance would be dearer than the two policies combined. I think St. Paul's are fairly saucy, and their cover is very limited.

Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
UJM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2005 at 11:12

Did you try Brittons Insurance in donegal they are good for high performance stuff..

http://www.brittoninsurance.com/

Fey! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2005 at 11:12
Double check the size of the boot in the scoobie estate - I didn't find it particularly good.  I'd be more inclined to go with the Outback personally, with the 2.5 quadcam engine!
AHEALY View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2005 at 12:08

Cheers, I'll be looking at it tomorrow, so i will know more then.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2005 at 19:21
St Pauls is a Insurance company which you can't get cover from direct. You have to use brokers. St Pauls are good because they are the guys that will insure high powered cars.

I used them to insure my Lotus Elise. Just remeber you cannot move away from them before a year before a year because they have a hefty charge. They are not the cheapest either, but at the time no one else would insure me on the Lotus and I just wanted the car not matter what.

In the end got only third party and paid... wait for it... €6000 for the year. Changed the car after half a year and moved insurance company too. They gave me back my €3000 for the 6 months i did not use less €1800.

Never again, but I did have a great summer with the car.

One more thing, if you transfer insurance over it means that your BMW will not be insured, this means if anything happened to it in storage it will be a painful experience.
AHEALY View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2005 at 09:56

I checked out the Scooby Wagon on Saturday and it's in good shape. Allianz have agreed to cover me for the remainder of this policy, ie 9 months for an extra charge of €110.00 so that is fine. I'll switch back to the Bimmer in the Spring when roads should be less crappy.

I've been told that it isn't a good idea to turn off the engine in a turbo straight away, as the turbo needs 30 seconds or so. Is this correct, and if so what damage can be done by turning off the engine too early ?.

Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2005 at 10:51
Originally posted by AHEALY AHEALY wrote:

I've been told that it isn't a good idea to turn off the engine in a turbo straight away, as the turbo needs 30 seconds or so. Is this correct, and if so what damage can be done by turning off the engine too early ?.

Your correct. The turbo needs to spin down. You can get over this by installing a turbo timer. What happens is that when you turn off the engine and alarm the car, the engine will run for the duration you specify on the turbo timer. They cost no more than 100 yoyo's. Most turbo Jap performance cars have these.

Blitz and HKS are a few to mention. any boy racer shop can supply them or go to www.demon-tweeks.co.uk or www.tightrope.ie
Fey! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2005 at 11:06

For more about turbos, I know that it was discussed in detail on another thread (I think it's in the 5 series forum, but I can't find it).

Fey! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2005 at 11:09

Just remembered something:  if your insurance is on the scooby, then you can't drive the BMW under the 'driving of other cars' part of your insurance as it is registered in your name; driving of other cars only covers you for cars NOT registered to you.

Way around this - transfer BMW into your wifes name.  Unfortunatley, that adds a previous owner.

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2005 at 12:20

Originally posted by AHEALY AHEALY wrote:

Turbo's generate a lot of heat when spinning.  At the end of the journey, if you just switch off, the heat soak from the turbo can only disipate in to the oil in the blower.  The heat can break down the oil and causes sludge to build up.  This shortens the life of the turbo and replacements generally ain't cheap.  Letting it spin over on idle lets the oil continue to circulate and the heat disipates more evenly, with less damage to the blower. 

The other way to achieve this is as Eamo has suggested.  In my own mind I'd be uncomfortable with that from an insurance point of view.  I'd imagine that this could be exploited as a weakness by a tea-leaf.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
AHEALY View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2005 at 09:39
Chears guys. Car is fitted with a turbo timer but I think i'll let it run for an extra 30 sec's just in case.
Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2005 at 09:45
I had one fitted on the Mitshi challenger 2.8TD i owned previously. I used to let it run for 2 mins after switching off the ignition.
ludo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2005 at 09:56
mod time adrian! lets get the max bhp out of thgis b***h!
AHEALY View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2005 at 07:11

Ludo, If I suggest moddin' to the misses, I know i'll be the one ending up being modded/skelped. She ate the head off me when she heard I bought a second car.

Just for reference purposes a skelp is the removal of human tissue without the aid of surgical procedure .

Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic