Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW X Power (4x4 BMWs)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked4.8 X5 wheels on a 4.4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4.8 X5 wheels on a 4.4
    Posted: 17-September-2005 at 12:10

Help Please.

Anyone out there with a 4.8 X5 that I can get a look at some time (I live just above Bristol).

I've got 4.8 wheels on my 4.4 and want to see if/how I can replace my 'flush' wheel arch trims with the standard 'angled/flared' wheel arch trims fitted on the 4.8 (do I also need 'side-runners', are the bumper/valance mouldings different) ?

Regards - Mike S.

Sponsored Links

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2005 at 10:09

Well - the 20" rims are now an option on the other models so I don't see why there should be a problem... seems a lot of hassle to add some arches.. surely the BMW bodykit would be easier.>?

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

S24PAW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2005 at 16:07

Hi M BLUR (really senior member).

Thanks so much for your helpful and most intuative comments (I'd never thought of 'body kits').

Unfortunately, however, you've missed the point as 20" diameter (18" or even 22") makes no difference (providing you stick to the same 'rolling diameter') and is therefore NOT my problem.

Wheel WIDTH (in relation to the face of the wheel arch) is my point (4.4 wheels are 285mm wide, 4.8 wheels at the rear are 315mm wide) and that extra 30mm brings my wheels right out flush with the body at the top of the arch (that's exactly why the wheel arch trim on the 4.8 is flared out; to COPE with the extra wheel width).

Regards - S24PAW

NB : At £2500 plus say £80/hour for fitting 'bodykits', I'm naturally trying to find myself a more inexpensive solution.  

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2005 at 04:26

Hi m8 - the 20" 315mm wide wheels are a standard option on the X5 so I wouldn't have expected any mod to the arches was neccessary. However although the basic dimensions are the same they may still sit differently due to offset.

BMW have now even launched special editions with the 20" and [edited] v.small [edited] arch extensions. I can only think there is a difference in the offset of the 4.8is wheels to those offered on the rest of the range. If not then I can't believe BMW would have scored such a faux pas to have be in contra of Uk clearance regs (unless the change in camber caused by the lower sports suspension creates the problem).. not sure..??

Edited by M BLUR
www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

Freddy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2005 at 10:39
I have just bought a 54 reg 4.4i Sport that has the optional 20" wheels factory fitted.  I think the wheels are identical to those on the 4.8is so they do give the car a marginally wider track.  Having just looked at mine side by side with a regular Sport model I can see that the outer edge of my wheels are level with the bodywork, whereas the 19" Sport wheels are recessed by 1-2cm.
M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 04:55

I see the 'Le Mans' special editions get small wheel arch extensions

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

Freddy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 05:17
Mine isn't a special edition and has the standard wheel arches.  I guess the only downside is it probably throws slightly more mud over itself.  It looks fine to me though and I don't see the need to get any extensions fitted.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic