Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFuel Tank Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank Leak
    Posted: 15-September-2005 at 04:23

Hi all. has anybody had a problem with leaking tanks on a 318i 1988 E30? I had a leak where the filler neck and the tank join with the rubber boot to stop the main leak but I can still smell fuel when I open the boot. There must be some kind of vent to atmosphere but I cannot see the pipe to check it over. I dont think its the tank as I can only smell the fuel in the boot when I open it? Ive checked all the tank as best as I can without taking it off and looks to be in good condition. Any ideas anybody?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2005 at 04:26

We don't have the same car, but I had a similar problem and it was perished rubber vent pipes on the top of the tank in my case.

Do you have a manual you can check to see if you have the same setup ?

Under the rear seat cushion is there an inspection hatch where you can see areas of the tank you can't see from under the car ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

peplow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2005 at 04:35
I can see the fuel pump/sender unit and part of the top of the tank but not alot else. I can see a tube that seems to go off around the car but not alot else.The smell is only in the bood thogh so is it bossible to look at the tube in the boot somewhere? Ive had all the carpet out the back and theres no holes, or at least none i can see to let the vapours in and no access panels but the tube must be accessible. I dont want to take the tank off as I have to revove the driveshaft and all manner of things. The manual only states the setup for the 5series? Any more ideas on how to access the vent pipes? Sorry about the cross posting, didnt realise it was a bad thing to do
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2005 at 04:55

Don't worry about the cross posting, I can see you are new thats why I just metioned it.

Hopefully the three series boys will be along to help shortly, but it sounds as though you have the haynes manual.

It may be worth contacting this chap to see what is availble for yours, hopefully they do a "bentley" manual, I have the one for the E34 5 series and its superb.

http://www.johnsmodelcars.co.uk/

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic