Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
D4BMW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 05:18
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

Quote .....also and this is the main point this is NOT a CAR CLUB run event.. it's an independant show in which the car club had a large stand at...

I don't think too many of those who made the journey were over- concerned about that, Andy.

My point was that the club can't be blamed for all of the issues with the show when it's not a club run show - we were exhibitors like everyone else there.

BMWCCGB ALPINA Register

E46 330Ci Sport
E32 Alpina B11
E28 Alpina B9
www.thealpinaregister.com
Sponsored Links

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 04:59

Originally posted by D4BMW D4BMW wrote:

as others have said the show used to be the national event for the now extinct BMW drivers club (their gaydon if you like,...)......

....and might have continued in that vein had the prime mover / organiser of the DC not suddenly dropped dead. I went in 2002, and the inability of the organisers to control the bass-heavy ICE "exhibitors" spoilt what was otherwise a reasonably good effort.

Quote .....also and this is the main point this is NOT a CAR CLUB run event.. it's an independant show in which the car club had a large stand at...

I don't think too many of those who made the journey were over- concerned about that, Andy.

skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 19:22
it was my second time at the donny show as ime only down the road.
there was a few nice cars and its always nice to see what people do with thiers.
spent £82 on zymol
bad point of the day some git nicked a valve cap off my M,,, i know nothing major but theft is theft.
if i had caught them they could have had a free ride in my car .......................in the boot
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
D4BMW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 18:53
as others have said the show used to be the national event for the now extinct BMW drivers club (their gaydon if you like,...)

sure it's near a track but it's not a track day event - it's a car show and trade stand event..
from the organiser i understand the venue used yesterday cost i around £9K or £10K to rent this is for the hall only.. not the track..

the track normally costs around £15k for a week day - god knows how much it would cost for a weekend which i believe would be more like £25-£30K
The recent silverstone BDD / track day cost £25K to rent and had to have the likes of sabine etc.. come along to get the numbers there and even thenat £200 per car  i'm not sure if broke even... The car club used to run donington on their BDD calender but it was always too expensive and not enough people turned up to make it worthwhile... and hence it lost money 3 years running.. obviously it may appear desirable as a track venue - but it's never been well enough support when people are asked to put their hands in their pockets

also and this is the main point this is NOT a CAR CLUB run event.. it's an independant show in which the car club had a large stand at...

i think from what i can see is that most enjoyed most of it... and that all who where there last year agree it was 10 times better and a step in the right direction.. we'll be there again and hope to see u all there too..

Edited by D4BMW
BMWCCGB ALPINA Register

E46 330Ci Sport
E32 Alpina B11
E28 Alpina B9
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 17:44
Originally posted by calv8 calv8 wrote:

Went to Donington. Overall had a good day with the family.. Some cracking cars  That Black E3 3.0 SI ........droooooolll

Anyway nice day .. but it's what you make of it.

Glad you enjoyed it - that's the whole point "It's what you (want to) make of it" It isn't meant to be Gaydon!

When the 'Drivers Club' (god bless it) ran the show it was for the average BMW driver of an older model to get those hard to find bits!

I've never thought it as being aimed at the BMW owner of a "car still serviced by a dealer"

I've said it before - so I'll say it again! - its "The Bitza Show"!

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
calv8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 17:36

Went to Donnington Overall had a good day with the family..

Some cracking cars  That Black E3 3.0 SI ........droooooolll

the blue 840 .....even Bens outragious e30 drop top...wow

also went to the museum .. well worth the money and time to see my heroes cars and bikes..

Not a bad show as I see it. Even the car park was worth a trip around..See the white E21 with all the bling....Nice to see other peoples interpretation of their cars.

My 2 teenage boys enjoyed the sights and we even managed to tire them out..bless thier cottons.

I must admit I was wondering why the main dealers were not represented . After all it is a national show.

Anyway nice day .. but it's what you make of it.

steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 14:45
Originally posted by darkspirit darkspirit wrote:

steven.seed, 6 hours!!!

My god, did you walk around the room 40 times?? Slowly!

maybe not 40 times but it was a sunday, no work, no rush, I was chilled out and took my time to have a good look at everthing I could. One thing I will say is that compared to NEC,Earls Court or M.E.N. centre it was probably one of the few shows I've been to where there were few enough people there so as to allow you to move around without being pushed from pillar to post.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

v8m3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 14:38

hi guys if you dont think yesterday was not worth it you should have been there last year, i think the show had inproved leaps and bounds and could be made much better, the space given to cars could be much better utilised if you want to make this a show to go to then lets have some good ideas rather than criticism which kills these events.

thanks to jeff and andrew for inviting me and the car

i enjoyed every minuit of every video bring back proper touring cars

wayne

Geeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 14:34
I have to admit, I was expecting a little more, but having been to many BMW 'shows' at Donington, I have seen worse.

The car park always gives a better spread of decent cars to mooch around and have a look at, even if there were a few dogs out there for sale!

The track action was pretty cool , just a shame it wasn;t linked to the show, would have made it a really good spectacle.

The E30Zone was there in force as usual, which is always nice. Can never have too many E30s! (even though I'm down to a singel E28 now...)

Giles
darkspirit View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 14:29

steven.seed, 6 hours!!!

My god, did you walk around the room 40 times?? Slowly!

I have been to many a show and have paid upto £40 for a ticket sometimes, its not that the £8 is a lot of money but I kinda expexted more for it.

OK, we have lots of track days, but when a carshow is on the doorstep of a track it seems rude not to!

Trade stands, overpriced second hand tat on a lot of them (ready for flaming), at least the girly shops kept the girls from going spare!

I understand the guy who organised this is new to club organising so things can only get better in the future, big thumbs up for the task!

Car quality, there were some lovely cars there and it was good to see a Z1 (always curious about that one) but no where near enough cars to justify a carshow.

Perhaps its a little too early in my forum days to be providing negative feedback but I was left feeling a little pissed off on the long way home.

Rant over, look forward to next meet!!

Mark

'99 E39 528i SE Manual Scwartz black with Grey leather

In the words of SPACEBALLS 'may the schwartz be with you...' :-)

Streetcar_Nitro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 11:24

From a traders point of view, I'll not be back. Turnout was about as low as the GT Tuner battle at Rockingham and that was free trade space on a first event of it's type there. We wondered if we had the right sort of products on sale or if it was an older age group (not really into nitrous), but both the traders adjacent to us had the same results. It can't be a BMW thing, as we already have BMW customers running nitrous.

£8 to get in you say? count yourself lucky £75 for us (on the smallest stand space available) and we didn't even sell enough to cover the diesel to get there.

You may have noticed a lot of the traders packing up early too, but I think the one jewellery stand sold a few items - two to my wife! lol

steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 10:12
Originally posted by RM2186 RM2186 wrote:

I did however, rightly or wrongly, assume that the classic car enthusiast scene is a little more mature and professional in all that it does, than the preserved bus scene in which I am also involved.

My comment was based, as a newcomer to this scene on that experience alone.

I have to say that a few of the owners I spoke to tended to look down their nose a bit at me....a mere enthusiastic novice and some of the trades folk were too busy re-acquainting themselves with old mates to bother with selling their wares.

That said, I agree that £8 is not an enormous sum to have to lay out, and I look forward to bigger and better shows in the ensuing years. Who knows? I amy even have a go at displaying my own car...... if I can get it looking anywhere near as good as some of the machines there!

Best wishes and happy motoring, irrespective of your opinion of the meet.

Mike

As I said in an earlier post I enjoyed my day but I must say that I agree with some of what Mike has to say. Some of the owners were a little difficult to talk to but fortunately I was happy just to look.

Some of the cars on display were not brilliant but whatever, they are someones pride and joy and we do not all have the time or money to lavish on our cars so we do our best. (I should have displayed mine as it was the only E36 318is saloon that I could see and its condition is probably better than 50% of the cars displayed) I would love to do lots of things to mine but I am an average Joe on average wages. But I still enjoyed looking at all the cars and having daydreams of finding that old neglected classic and giving it some TLC but until that day I will try to get to as many BMW shows as I can Donington included.

Cheers Steve.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

E46ACS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 10:06

even the ones wit hthe bling chrome wheels - not my cup of tea but still relevant...

BTW
You don't need to say the ALPINA's were excellent if they weren't I too can take constructive critiscim.

Venue signposts.. I think it's just a case of knowing that you're heading to Donington park and following the brown signs.. easy for me to say I live 15 miles from it - so could do it with my eyes closed...

I agree, anything that is directly aimed at the marque or cars in general; wheels, mods, parts, tunning, graphics, cleaning products, etc., is good.  We all have different tastes, so there should be something for everyone. (except hippy clothes!)

The Alpina's were excellent.  It was good to see so many different one's there.  Maybe a Schnitzer display next year?  Not that I have a biased opinion towards Schnitzer in any way, shape or form. Ahem...

I know my way now!  But I know I wasn't the only one to encounter an unplanned detour en route!!!!!  

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavours last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
D4BMW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 09:55
it's true but the adverts that where in the likes of BMW and Total over the last few months are less than eye catching and don't look very professional.. I agree that people had the notice.. but think if the mag had of come out 2 weeks earlier when planned it would have been better attended/pre-booked.

Disappointed to also not see the support from Total BMW or BMW Car (wanted to renew my subscription (get some binders) which ended after the Gaydon event and normally they are there..
BMWCCGB ALPINA Register

E46 330Ci Sport
E32 Alpina B11
E28 Alpina B9
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 09:48

The 8 quid on the door could have been negated by the £5 disounted rate.. trouble is that the main adverts where in the club mag and this was delayed due to a cock up at the printers and so by the time we all got our copy it was too late to prebook (hardly the organisers fault)

Not quite right - this show had been advertised for ages, and mentioned on this forum for ages, so there was plenty of time to get the tickets at a discount

And when I forgot, and only phoned Andrew Last Tuesday after being reminded by the advert in the October Magazine, I STILL got my £5 ticket the next day!  

So no real excuse there then!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
RM2186 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 09:41

It was difficult for me to be too specific about my views on standards of cars etc at the show .... but I do think that 'there is no pleasing some people' is a bit harsh in reply to someone's comment on their first ever BMW show having just started to relive my youth and got an old E30 325i.

I did however, rightly or wrongly, assume that the classic car enthusiast scene is a little more mature and professional in all that it does, than the preserved bus scene in which I am also involved.

My comment was based, as a newcomer to this scene on that experience alone.

I have to say that a few of the owners I spoke to tended to look down their nose a bit at me....a mere enthusiastic novice and some of the trades folk were too busy re-acquainting themselves with old mates to bother with selling their wares.

That said, I agree that £8 is not an enormous sum to have to lay out, and I look forward to bigger and better shows in the ensuing years. Who knows? I amy even have a go at displaying my own car...... if I can get it looking anywhere near as good as some of the machines there!

Best wishes and happy motoring, irrespective of your opinion of the meet.

Mike

D4BMW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 09:30
Tim

good summary and appraisal of the failings of the show - because let's face it not everything is perfect.

to comment on some of the items...

Trade stands - i tend to agree.. some very good stands from the likes of meguirs - motorforce  - ECP - the BMW dealers and FAB etc. (sorry if i forgot to name any others) even the ones wit hthe bling chrome wheels - not my cup of tea but still relevant... the craft type stalls are stranger to me.. but yes maybe they do keep our famlies and other halves content...

The car park  - yes whilst we had a 13 cars ALPINA line up many of the rest of car park A was a bit hit and miss.. some nice stuff. but a lot of dross too.. I think the General secure BMW only parking should have been restricted to Car PArk B with Car park A being more of a proper outdoor display - I will be suggesting this to Andrew closer to next year's event.

BTW
You don't need to say the ALPINA's were excellent if they weren't I too can take constructive critiscim.

Venue signposts.. I think it's just a case of knowing that you're heading to Donington park and following the brown signs.. easy for me to say I live 15 miles from it - so could do it with my eyes closed...

The 8 quid on the door could have been negated by the £5 disounted rate.. trouble is that the main adverts where in the club mag and this was delayed due to a cock up at the printers and so by the time we all got our copy it was too late to prebook (hardly the organisers fault)

in the end.. there will always way to improve any show including the likes of Gaydon.. lets all work together to bring this one back to the way it used to be...

BMWCCGB ALPINA Register

E46 330Ci Sport
E32 Alpina B11
E28 Alpina B9
SPA69 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 09:27
Originally posted by E46ACS E46ACS wrote:

Trade stands: Good.  There was something for everyone.  Although I wasn't too sure about some of the clothes and jewellery stands..(something for the ladies?)

Alpina's:  Excellent.  This could be the start of a 'main theme' every year? M power? DTM? Schnitzer? (biased opinion on that one!

Totally agree with you about the jewellery/clothing stalls!!!!!

Also agree about the Alpina's but then I've got an biased opinion on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the kind of feedback and comments that were looking for. People to be more specfic, so as next year the event can be bigger and better.a_smil17

E46ACS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 09:17

oooookkkkkkkk then.......

I was expecting the event to be bigger.  Not on a Gaydon scale, just bigger (but that's the same with most things in life!)

Trade stands: Good.  There was something for everyone.  Although I wasn't too sure about some of the clothes and jewellery stands..(something for the ladies?)

Alpina's:  Excellent.  This could be the start of a 'main theme' every year? M power? DTM? Schnitzer? (biased opinion on that one!

Dispaly cars:  As previously stated, there were some excellent examples, and a varied range.  But there were some sheds. In particular on the outside display's.  I don't wish to name any examples, but there were cars that you wouldn't have looked at in the car park, let alone want to see on a display stand.

Regions/Registers: Maybe the organisers could liaise with the regionial co-ordinators to each have a small display.  This not only promotes the club as a whole, but the regions/registers as well. 

Signposts:  I don't think the venue was very well signposted.  This is obviously down to the venue owners.  But there could have been some 'show' directions, as there was within the grounds.

I don't think that the £8 on the door is excessive.  But I would have wanted a little more for my money.

I know that this is the first year 'under new management', and that a lot of hard work had clearly gone into the organisation and I applaud all the hard work and commitment, but these are just my observations.  I am not suggesting that was a 'bad' show, I just felt that it could have done with a little more. I gather that this was a huge improvement on last year, so I hope the trend continues.

But when all is said and done.  These are just the opinions of one member, and I could of course be completely wrong, and everyone enjoyed the show!

Edited by E46ACS
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavours last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
D4BMW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 08:36
Originally posted by E46ACS E46ACS wrote:

I wasn't at Donny last year, so cannot compare.....  I wasn't expecting Gaydon, but I was expecting a little more.

Having trade stands, in particular the used parts, I think is an excellent idea.  I don't run an old car, so they weren't of any service to me, but they were busy, and I intend to acquire an older model soon so will reap the rewards in future.

I was mainly disappointed at the overal quality of the cars on display, and the relatively low numbers of them.  There were some exceptionally good cars there, but not enough to make up for the poor ones.

And as for moaning...... This forum is for discussion, coments, debate, sharing information, etc.  If we don't voice our opinions, how would organisers determine what had been sucsessful, and what had not?  After Gaydon feedback was invited, and responded too. And there were genuine reasons given that addressed some of the issues raised. These shows are for us, the Car Club members and marque enthusiasts, so we have a right to express what we like, and what we don't like.  The organisers do work very hard, so I am sure they would welcome feedback.  If they didn't get honest feedback from a range of visiters, how would they be able to improve?

I totally agree about the complaining and voicing opinions and agree that this give everyone especially the event and stand organisers cruicial info for the next event.. the point I was personally trying to make earlier was there's no point saying " the day wasn't what we expected.. blah blah etc.. " if you can't be specific about why it was disappointing.. or if you thought some of the cars on display weren;t up to standard.. by specific name them (as long as it wasn't mine... ) and tell us what you'd have preferred to have seen..

Speaking to a lot of traders too - there was aprehension.. last year people like motorforce paid out £600 for stand space alone and made no money because the event was a disaster.. i spoke with other traders who said they took a lot of convincing to come back again.. so naturally it will take a year or two to build confidence with both the people exhibiting and visiting to support the show like it was when it was a Drivers club event.

BMWCCGB ALPINA Register

E46 330Ci Sport
E32 Alpina B11
E28 Alpina B9
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic