Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEver regretted selling a car?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
E23 the forgotten 80s BMW

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ever regretted selling a car?
    Posted: 25-August-2005 at 09:39

Ever regretted selling a car?

Rose tinted spectacle wearers here please

Lets hear your stories of cars you sold and later regretted having done so.

Maybe lack of storage/money was the issue.

Perhaps it needed some work which you did not have time/resources to deal with at the time.

Maybe you were getting grief from your family/partner to sell it.

Maybe you fancied changing cars and then wished you hadnt when the replacement turned out to be a disappointment.

I'm sure there are some great stories out there; lets hear them please.

Philip
'86 E23 735iA SE - Polaris - The Silver Surfer
'85 E23 735iA SE - Cosmos Blue - VJ
'86 E28 528iA SE - Dia Black - Helga
'86 E23 728iA SE - Polaris - The CHAV mobile
Sponsored Links

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2005 at 11:21
'91 Landcruiser LWB, served me well for three years in Malaysia. I drove it from Singapore to Vientiane (Laos) via Bangkok, Phnom Penh & Yangong on a six month jolly around S E Asia. Had a full body respray after an incident with a short sighted motorcylcist in Phuket who T-boned me? Decided it was too much hassle to get heaters & heated screens etc fitted to it so I sold it before I left Malaysia Here's a piccy pre respray while out with the gang playing in the jungle......
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2005 at 11:41
Got rid of the E38 750iL because they couldn't fix a shake in the suspension. One crashed E24 later, I wish I'd kept the 7 and tried harder to get it fixed.
Ciao,
Spokey

Hammer1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2005 at 12:31
Not really, most of the cars ive sold ive either got bored with them or there was something mechanically wrong with it as in spokey post.
e36 318ti sport
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2005 at 12:43

Originally posted by Hammer1 Hammer1 wrote:

Not really, most of the cars ive sold ive either got bored with them or there was something mechanically wrong with it as in spokey post.

Don't buy a used car from this man....

speedy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2005 at 13:17
A mk3 cortina 2000E. The floorpan rotted. I could have easily welded new floor pans in but i sold it instead. They're worth a few bob now.
1995 520i se auto 24v saloon
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2005 at 13:29
'91 e30 320i conv with 1 previous owner, fBMWsh and less than 60k miles sold 2 years ago.  Didn't have a garage to winter it in and an all-weather car cover wasn't the same thing. 
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2005 at 16:34

For me it's the other way round

e30 red touring great car sad to see it go wish I had never bought it as it was not clean enough but I wonted a BM sooo much had good engine all the same.

And my e23 {still got it and love it to bits} but I should never have bought it tow much work and expense for a old car, I even looked at it and saw the rotten doors and arches and non starting, damp foot wells, and no MOT and still bought it. just had to have it and care for it. Just one of the cars and felt sorry for it will never sell ether,....I am penyless

I very Neely did the same again for a e30 323 4 door SE with all the kit, good old style m-teck kit clean in side, and lots spent on it, but engine not in car rotten doors. and had been standing, but was a nice car, well I could see it.

Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
Hammer1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2005 at 17:55
Originally posted by Derek M5 Derek M5 wrote:

Originally posted by Hammer1 Hammer1 wrote:

Don't buy a used car from this man....

LOL i guess its down to the car dealing which is in my genes  BTW before anyone says, i aint defending either OK!!

e36 318ti sport
micky_h View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2005 at 18:20
Had a 306 gti6 which I handed back to the finance company.
Gonna regret getting rid of the M3 but it's got to go due to my job situation changing.Could be back in a VW in a few weeks time.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2005 at 18:50
Used to have an E30 316 coup in zinnobar red. B469 ORK.
Found it after it was in a flood, was absolutely knackered bodywork wise - needed a shed load of welding, total basket case. But hey, it was my first car and I appreciated it more after all the hard work that went into making it roadworthy. Unfortunatly the bodywork was its let down and it's now no-more. Interior was changed to a lux one , with rear headrests and rear arm rest in velour instead of normal cloth trim since old one was decidedly water (sewerage) damaged.

Never took any pics of her, still think about her even now
(Nicknamed her Bjork because of reg)

Still have origional owners manual.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
sharon.... View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2005 at 19:01
no not really ... but iv regtd buying plenty
look....cut the cr4p and show us ya willy
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2005 at 02:01

And of course there was my '71 Beetle, Sloping Headlights, Guards Red, De-Chromed, EMPI 8 spokes, Golf GTI interior, One piece windows, short shifter & go faster steering wheel...

Ahh Ruby, where art thou now?

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2005 at 03:21

My beloved Vauxhall 3.0i 24v Senator CD H650HSD

Bought privately at 10 years old for 2900 with a genuine 52,000 miles, FSH with every receipt and MOT from the 4th September 1990.

204bhp 270Nm torque, max speed 146 mph, 0-60 in 7.9 seconds,  huge boot, CD player, cassette player, elec sunroof, elec windows, elec mirrors, heated leather seats, speed sensitive power steering, 3 mode electronic automatic transmission, tow bar, air con, cruise control.  I could eat Golf GTIs and most BMWs from the lights.  Flick her into sports mode and kick down.  She would drop from 6th to 3rd engine would make the most amazing noises as it climbed the rev range, 4000 rpm would come up very quickly and the dual ram valve opens and you got even more power (accompanied by another push back into the leather seats, it was like a turbo kicking in) and 6500 rpm and an illegal speed would be reached and the poor Sunday driver would be left far behind wondering what car it was that flew past them.

Part exchanged for 300 last August against my E39.  Patted it on the bonnet when I locked it for the last time at the garage.  Couldn't bear to look at as I drove past it in the E39. 

The Sennie was 14 years old with a smudge under 99,000 miles on the clock, it had a hesitation problem that I couldn't fix after 300 and 3 months trying.

Cried my eyes out the first night without my Sennie, if you don't believe me ask the Mrs.

Tried consoling myself that it would have needed a grand spent on it for a new head gasket and a new set of timing chains for no increase in the cars value.

But if I hadn't got rid of it I would never have had my E39.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2005 at 06:50

I am about to regret putting my 1973 NSU Ro80 restoration project up for sale. It's got a Mazda 13B rotary (from the RX-7) fitted.

I just love the car, but have no money to continue the resto. Most of my funds have been poured into my 1983 635CSi......

Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
E23 the forgotten 80s BMW

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2005 at 07:12

I sold both my E23s in 2001 because they seemed too old hat to bother with, and I couldnt find any sellers of used parts and also couldnt find a mechanic to work on them.

My 1982 728i Opal Green was a very straight car that I had owned for 9 years. It had only around 100k miles on it. It had been badly nibbled by the tinworms and I had already replaced the f/wings and rear arches, and had it repainted at huge cost. Then the rear screen frame rusted and I got really fed up with it. The brake booster unit needed replacing and the BMW garage advised that the underneath was very rusty. I wish I had checked this for myself before selling it for peanuts in the Classic Car Weekly. BMW advised that it drove exceptionally well. Super smooth 2.8 engine with ZF 3 speed box.

My 1984 735 Executive in Bronze-Beige was a bit dog eared to look at, but was very solid underneath and had good mechanics/electrics. The only driving fault was that it was nigh on impossible to start with a warm or hot engine. Cold starting was perfect. BMW adjusted the engine settings a few times but it always went back to its non-starting ways. I often wonder if a new AFM would have fixed the problem. The buffalo leather trim was in super condition. That buffalo hide is so durable.

Philip
'86 E23 735iA SE - Polaris - The Silver Surfer
'85 E23 735iA SE - Cosmos Blue - VJ
'86 E28 528iA SE - Dia Black - Helga
'86 E23 728iA SE - Polaris - The CHAV mobile
Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2005 at 07:57
Wow..I've had sooooo many cars, tis hard to recall them all...

However I regretted selling these:

1967 Humber Sceptre Mk2 auto...sold around 1984 for 300...bodywork/interior was mint...torque convertor packed up and I lost interest...worth $$$s now!

similarly regretted parting with my 1963 Jag Mk2 2.4 manual...bought for 100 in 1984 when I found it in the garage of a rented house I moved into...hand painted in grotty barbie-pink it had a superb engine and good leather interior...bodywork needed a proper restoration, though...Sold for 600 after using it for 9months...What price now, though?

Also miss my Alfa Alfetta coupes...I had a 2000SE on a W plate (1980 model)...last of the chrome bumper ones with special Campi alloys and aircon...fully restored when I bought it in 1988, I traded it for a later 1983 black-bumper version in 1990...was forced to trade that for a 75 twin spark (just didn't look the same or feel as communicative) as a company car in 1992....Miss those Alfas

Lastly regretted parting with my Nissan 200SX S13 1993, manual...A superb, under-rated car...shame the engine died and I just needed a car for transport sooner (and cheaper) than I could have fixed the Nissan for...Still, not all bad...I ended up with an e34 530i (M30) instead!

Didn't actually sell these...Datsun 260Z 2+2 1978...written off by some dozy woman not looking in London!
Ciroen DS 21 died (hydraulics) and it got towed whilst waiting for a miracle fix...everything else was good on it, though!

I also miss my 2002Ti racer...I did sell it, but only after it got badly damaged at Snetterton after total brake failure (boiling fluid) on the last lap of a race....Some parts, including a 200bhp engine on twin Weber 50DCO carbs, lives on....

Least regretted parting company with:
Triumph Dolomite Sprint...the worst car, bar none, for reliability..If it could go wrong, it did! And a nightmare to work on!

Skoda 110R coupe...least said...

Fiat Uno racer....underpowered, over-rated and boring...

1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2005 at 09:04

1995 Civic Coupe - bought it in '99 with 94K and a 12 month warranty, traded it in '02 with 134K for a '95 Accord Coupe.  The Civic was quick, cheap to run, comfortable, quick, quick.........It also never gave me any trouble worth mentioning and cost me nothing on replacement parts.

The Accord - a few reliability problems at the start, but when the warranty finished I handed it to my own garage and never had another problem.  However, the early problems with the garage left a bad taste in my mouth, and then a hit at the back turned it into an Accord-ian!  Kept that for another while, all the time wishing I was back in the Civic.  Then bought the BMW.

The guy who had the Civic after me blew the engine 2 days after he got it!  Test drove a '99 one last week; my g/f reckoned it was the first time she ever felt scared in a car with me!!!  Nothing like my old one, though

StuB View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Z Head

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2005 at 10:00

Nova 1.3 SR in red with grey lower bit.  C 394 MRC.

Converted to C20XE 16v from a Calibra running the Motronic 2.8 injection, Janspeed exhaust, adjustable Koni's all round, vented discs/calipers from Cavalier, Cavalier SRi wheels on unidirectional NCT's, polybushed engine & suspension.

The car did 14 second 1/4 mile runs and would hit the speedo stop in top (have a look at a 1.3 SR speedo).  From memory, change up from 2nd was 70, then 105, then 120 into top.  Slaughtered a mates brand new Clio 16v (in '93) and most other stuff I managed to taunt.  A really good sleeper when I did it, but I think there are lots around now and a lot of turbo'd Nova's/Corsa's too.

It was my graduation treat to myself, did it all myself in the garage too(except welding the manifold joint to the exhaust) and it went, cornered and stopped brilliant all the time I had it.  No mechanical maladies at all. 

Spent a couple of years blasting round everywhere at anytime and realised driving such a small car so fast all the time was going to lead to prison, death or both.  Ex wife managed to crash it once (minor) and blamed me for making the car go so fast!

In a fit of 'sensible' I sold it and got a 1.4 Astra.  Biggest mistake ever even though financially I lost very little on the car.

Boost baby, BOOST!
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2005 at 05:11

I still regret selling the 528 even though it was going to cost as much to get it through the MOT as buying my 530i which I still love to bits

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic