FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGaydon 05--Comments Invited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gaydon 05--Comments Invited
    Posted: 22-August-2005 at 11:16

Very Many THANKS, to All who came from far and wide and in particular our Scottish friends from over the border.

Appologies for the jams getting down to the Display areas, unless one can get rid of a single car width bottleneck--it will be a prob.

Some very tasty cars in all displays, credit to everyone.Hope those that did the track laps enjoyed their drive.

Many +++ Thanks to ALL the Helpers who gave their time--WE appreciate YOU.   Your comments invited.

SAFETYFAST
Sponsored Links

donut View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2005 at 11:19
Was a good day out - those in the group we came with had a great time, although the biggest let down were the trade stands - we'd expected there to be more than there were.

Click here for my gallery & specs
Nigel Marston View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2005 at 14:42
As a trader who was at Gaydon, I can confirm that it is always going to be hard to persuade traders to attend shows.

The reason is a combination of time and cost. It took me the best part of a week to prepare for the show and it is hard work when you travel the distance that I did. When the cost of the stand, van hire and fuel are taken into account and added to the value of the time for the preparation and the day itself, it probably isn't worth it. I only did it because I enjoy it but it is starting to become a chore so this year may be my last show.

The likes of Gaydon is one of the best but for many bigger traders, they are unlikely to consider it for the reasons I gave above. Also, the more traders there are, each gets a smaller slice of the pie. The bottom line is (and this is what counts) that there simply aren't enough people spending enough money to make it commercially viable.

However, I'd like to thanks those who did visit my stand and especially those that bought some of my accessories.

Nigel
NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2005 at 15:26

Perhaps the club could pressure some more of the dealers or indeed bmw uk to put back something into the club, we members spend a lot of money with the dealer network one way or another,  if they each contributed to a slush fund that could be used to prepay for some stands which the smaller companies could enter into a draw for then it may help.

If you go to a ford fair theres loads of smaller stands because the big fairs are officially recognised by ford. 

Either that or a change of venue to avoid the crippling costs, goodwood anyone?

528 for now
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2005 at 15:30
Goodwood would be a mistake as its too far south for us in the north.
jamie (e39)528i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2005 at 15:39

I personally enjoyed gaydon this year as i have done for the last 3 that i have been too.

I did also note that there was not as many traders there as i would of liked but understand the problems and reasons for them not going.

Mind you i still managed too spend a few ££'s without much trouble.

I have been to "other" bmw shows not run by the club and they are nowhere near as well organised or give the variety of vehicles or quality of vehicle's on display.(the scottish region did the club proud,what a stunning display of car's you have!)

The gaydon show is THE bmw show of the year and to have support from BMW uk would be fantastic as they could give so much more to the day as we support them so they should return the favour,after all we are the one's flying the BMW flag!!!

All the region's provided good display's of various vehicles and every type of BMW was represented including some superb alpina's and some beautiful classic's right up to the magnificent new V10 M5.

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2005 at 17:16
Originally posted by donut donut wrote:

Was a good day out...the biggest let down were the trade stands - we'd expected there to be more than there were.

Great day out - I've already passed my thanks onto Richard Baxter - and the rest of his "crew" - for the well thought out and effective ///M Power display. Also credit to all the other sections - especially the E30's of course!

I've always considered the BMWCC 'bash' at Gaydon to be the time to show the cars off - show & shine, concours, sections... etc. and the (xBMWOC) day out at Donington to be the 'bitza' day, where there were loads of stalls to rummage thru for that elusive part - so I wasn't too disappointed with the trader turn out at Gaydon.

You want traders/bits? Then the show at Donington this year - under new management - should be the place to go - see you there!!
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Simon325i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2005 at 18:46

Great day, thanks to all concerned! Great turn out, and some awesome cars! Couldn't have asked for better weather either!

Only thing that got to me was the que, we had to drive through the mud car park, waited there for half an hour, only for people who came in after to be let straight in

I understand the reason though to keep the cars off the road, but in that case, everyone should have been diverted through the car park until the que through the car park was no more.

Because of the above, I was late parking my car up, so only spent about 15 mins on the gate handing out E30 passes then I ran out, so wish I could have been more help!

With regards to traders, I'm venturing into car lighting and styling products, and enquired about a stand at Gaydon, and was shocked to learn that there was a price, I really thought the BMWCC would do it for free to get more traders to attend, as much as I'd love to offer a service, business is business at the end of the day, and it would have been totally pointless setting up a stand.

Edited by Simon325i sport
donut View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2005 at 18:48
I guess we only thought that as it was our first visit to gaydon and it'd been hyped up to have a load of traders there.  But I can see it from their point of view too. :)

Still a great day out though.

Click here for my gallery & specs
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2005 at 18:56
Simon325

The trade stands at Gaydon are realistically priced I think when compared to stands at some other car shows. Stand space at any decent show/exhibition of any sort is never cheap. My wife has a wedding related business and stands at a national show cost £4500!!!!!

Nigel
mick_n3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2005 at 20:29
Originally posted by Simon325i sport Simon325i sport wrote:

Only thing that got to me was the que, we had to drive through the mud car park, waited there for half an hour, only for people who came in after to be let straight in

Because of the above, I was late parking my car up, so only spent about 15 mins on the gate handing out E30 passes then I ran out, so wish I could have been more help!

Totally agree with that, I spent most of Saturday cleaning car, only to get to Gaydon and be parking in a dust bowl for 45 mins or so. All that cleaning wasted.

When the cars were sent down anyone marshalling had a nightmare trying to get the cars parked in the correct spots, as there were so many all at once.

Maybe someone could also answer a question, I was under the impression that this years Gaydon show was an M Power theme. That being the case WHY was it all M Cars without a number on the display ticket, (those that weren’t in the special M display at the front of the museum) were sent to the rear of the museum? This may have been the main entrance but it was so out of the way no one went round there apart from those going to the test track, on they day there were a lot of upset and one or two angry M owners who had spent a lot of time and effort cleaning their vehicles only to be parked in a very obscure and remote “display”. We missed out on a good display of M Power cars because most just drove back round and parked in the general parking area.

When I booked my ticket I asked if I could display on the central region stand and was told there wasn’t one but I could display on the “M Power” area, on the day there was a central stand by the “special” M Power display area, so I was somewhat disgruntled to be parked round the back of the museum.

Steve Gill View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2005 at 03:41

Some constructive criticism on the track event (which I understand was probably outwith the control of BMWCCGB?):

I turned up at the BMWCCGB stand and bought my ticket. There was no mention of maximum number of passengers, or minimum ages of those passengers. I returned to our stand and we agreed to take 2 other adults plus 2 kids (who were really excited about going out on track!). I arrived at the registration point, signed in 5 names, handed in 5 mobile phones(!) and then on the way back to the car I was stopped by a marshall who informed me that kids under 16 were not allowed on track. To say they were disappointed was an understatement, I think this fact should have been mentioned when we bought the ticket.

To be fair the marshall was very pleasant and even gave the kids free off road tickets (which their father took them out on later on).

The 3 remaining adults then attended the briefing to be told only 2 people allowed in the car! So yet again 1 more disappointed individual. However, when we drove in the convoy to the track the car in front of us had 4 people inside and yet was allowed to proceed! (No names, eh Tim? )

On the track all cars were lined up in each of the 4 lanes and then followed the pace car. However, this to me was more dangerous than a convoy, because cars ended up overtaking/undertaking, and then bunched up together at the corners. I felt safer at the Nurburgring

To sum up, and I appreciate BMWCCGB may have no control over this, I feel there was no valid reason for not allowing full cars onto the track, and allowing under 16s.

The rest of the show was great however, weather superb, good company and food was spot on

Simon325i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2005 at 05:58

Originally posted by Nigel Marston Nigel Marston wrote:

Simon325

The trade stands at Gaydon are realistically priced I think when compared to stands at some other car shows. Stand space at any decent show/exhibition of any sort is never cheap. My wife has a wedding related business and stands at a national show cost £4500!!!!!

Nigel

Well it wasn't realistic to me, hence me not participating, and I'm not the only one that thinks so either.

As I'm only just starting out in, I'm finding the costs quite difficult, and if I had have paid up for a stand, I doubt I would have made my money back.

Fushion Julz View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2005 at 07:51
This was my first BMWCC show that I attended...

It was a good day out for myself and my partner. However, I also was a little disappointed at the lack of stands/sales stalls...I thought it was poor show that BMW GB weren't in evidence seeing that this was the annual CC show and that, as someone said, we spend loads with the dealer network...I felt that the traders who were there were selling stuff not especially cheaply, either, although that didn't prevent me spending a few ££s on things that were hard to find in the local shops.

I also concur with the "waiting in the car park/poor marshalling" comments....

I didn't do the "drive around the track" thing and am happy, given the comments both here and on the day, that I didn't! Why not a sprint or autotest or even just a 1/4mile "strip"?
Would have provided a little more excitment, I suspect, and some talking points, too....

Finally, I expected to see more vintage BMWs there....Fairly noticeable by their absence...As were section stands for most of the regions...

As I said, non of these things detracted from a good day out...helped by the beautiful weather...but I might think twice about going again.

Having said that, Donnington sounds the ticket! When is that, then and is there the chance to drive the race circuit?
1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2005 at 08:35
I really enjoyed it, but I do like a lot of trade stands to look around, pity the costs are highish that traders have this problem. Also I like the 'older'BMW so trade stands selling 'older' spares were non existant (no demand I expect?).

I'm going to the Italian Car Day at Gaydon in September, and they will be using the track as well, so it'll be good to see what others do at the same venue. As for Donington, good show, hope they keep the bass down this time though!

AG
we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
webweaver View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2005 at 10:39
Originally posted by Fushion Julz Fushion Julz wrote:

Having said that, Donnington sounds the ticket! When is that, then and is there the chance to drive the race circuit?

Donington is 23rd October

Edited by webweaver
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2005 at 13:04
With regards to the waiting to get down to the display, why not in future place cones down the centre of the road at the entrance to the venue and a sign saying keep right for display cars and left for general parking.

So as the road approaches the roundabout car can separate L/R to their perspective area's. Passes can then be checked at the roundabout and vehicles allowed to continue on to their respective diplay area's.

And/or open up the road out of the venue at the start as an entrance also, warning drivers to drive carefully as they go

Unfortunaly there is always going to be congestion, due the numbers involved.

PS thanks for the kind comment on the Scottish region

Edited by gary
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2005 at 14:02

Thanks for constructive comments-------

Nigel--Said realistic Trade  Plot -Prices, this IS Very important, the price is Gaydons--NOT the Clubs.The club wants as many traders as there is space for them--BUT again--the club cannot tell punters to spend the ££££££ss---only attractive prices do that.

The problem of Access down to the Main area is a Major prob, I also thought why not use all one way IN routes--ala Gary---while I was following Instructions, in the middle of watching the Gridlock--we Must also consider that Gaydon has a daily Public visitor intake, so you cannot behave as if WE are the Only Cash inflow for ONE day.Steve ---- Agree, Age limits Should Have been stated at point of purchase/advice in Club Mag.Did the pre planning meetings ask this ??? and get discussed??.WE had to do follow ALL instructions given by Gaydon Staff on People Moving--So if they said " direct cars into the Carpark to clear Gridlocks" WE had to do as requested.

Mick--Sorry !!!!! you were NOT on Main "M" area--Mail to Richard B, and ask "Why".

The only way WE can improve the day and Future events is --YOUR positive feedback-----Thankyou.

SAFETYFAST
evosport View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2005 at 17:45

Great day, but i was another M Power Car, asked to move to the back/front display area when first arrived.

Did move car later in the morning....

Aston Martin test track was well worth the £7.50 especially seening the  new "baby" Aston parked up. One question how/where car we buy pictures taken on the test track.

Craig

1990 M3 Sport Evo

2002 330d Sport Touring

jezza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2005 at 18:09

This was our first Gaydon event, thoroughly enjoyed it, but for me the best bit was driving around the test track. THIS is what these cars are all about, having come off the track I ran to the club stand to see if I could buy another ticket, but they were sold out. I agree with the comments about the organisation of the test track drive - it was almost non existant. The briefing was "follow me, don't overtake me and don't be silly". So when the event car stopped in the middle of the track and then took off, the cars immediately behind thought it was a drag race and went for it, almost to smash into the back of the stationary event car (E30 M3 and ZM roadster you know who you are!). There was also much confusion over whether we should line up with the lane markings or cones initially. A few words of explanation from the marshal beforehand would have avoided this. 

In all, lets have more use of tracks at these events, so we can get in our cars and DRIVE them! Someone else has asked if there will be any use of the track at Donnington, but so far no answers. Please Please can we have more track/driving stuff at the events, I like looking at cars and buying bits but driving off our over policed roads is best of all!!!  

My toys:
E39 ALPINA B10 V8 2000 - Silver/Red Leather
E39 540i 2000 (Sold)
E34 535i Sport 1989 (Sold)
E21 323i (Sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic